Remove Advertisements

tanking base lines for mag and gruuls

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

tanking base lines for mag and gruuls

Postby kensanity » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:19 pm

My armory is ironmantwan alliance frostwolf.

Over the past few weeks I've been tanking everything in za with no problem and I've been gearing up. The other day I maintanled gruuls and high king. Now, I was equipped with commendation and figurine crimson serpent because iit helped with threat generation and also put me at 16k heaslth unbuffed. However many times in battle I saw my life going under the threshold to activate the commendation (leaving me to wonder if maybe I should have equipped the pocketwatch instead). Anyway, I was wondering what are good base lines for mnaintanking gruuls and mag? Spell damafge I figure is enough to not havily cap your dps but I am looking for armor, health buffed and possibly pure avoidance totals. Didn't die on eithwer high king or gruuls but many times did I feel like I was a hit away fromn death
kensanity

Postby merinos » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 am

both maulgar and magtheridon have a cleave-attack that can come pretty close with his normal swing timer, so you can get hit by cleave+autohit, which is probably around 13k dmg on t4/badge gear.
merinos

Postby sapientialb » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:46 am

How do ya'll feel about Feral Druids maintanking him?

I joined a run last night, first time a guild was attempting him and they let the Feral tank him. While he had an HP advantage over me by about 2K when I looked at recount after he took a ton of crushings over our attempts (69 on 4 attempts, none of which took Mag to below 50%) plus all the hits. And it looked like his Dodge+Miss wasn't much above my own dodge+parry+miss numbers.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby merinos » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 am

druids getting crushed is perfectly fine, and for progression i would actually suggest letting druids maintank maulgar/gruul/mag, in t4 itemlvl they do have the most effective hp and avoidance doesnt really matter, you can support both their aggro and survivability with agi totems and scrolls.

on anything past t4 it does not matter that much which class is tanking, each has little pros and cons but none of that is gamebreaking, although tidewalker in progress should probably be tanked by a druid too and paladins should probably not maintank phase 1 alar since that could get messy with no intercept/charge.

there are gimmick encounters that require something to be spellreflected or at least that spellreflect simplifies that encounter so greatly that warriors are the preferred tanks for them, those are: ros phase 2 and the paladin on council, and druids cannot tank illidan because they cannot avoid being sheared, other than that druids/paladins can perfectly tank everything.

ps: i'm only up to brutallus right now, so i don't know personally if paladins/druids have a gamebreaking disadvantage on felmyst/twins/muru/kiljaeden
merinos

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag