Remove Advertisements

Taking hits from High King Maulgar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Taking hits from High King Maulgar

Postby Jillina » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am

Well couple days ago I was given the chance to tank High King Maulgar. I'm like one of the top tanks and one of the 2 tanks that has been in the guild the longest tanking along side with a feral druid. Recently we have two other warriors and the newest one just joined and his gear seems to go past mine in ways.

I took the opportunity since I am Olm with a warrior tank (which he likes cause he finds it much easier along with me.)

So when I got to tank High King Maulgar two warriors were on Olm. The pull I was tanking in started to fall apart because mage wasn't topped off and the warriors had a problem with Olm. Then the newest warrior was talking how he had points into imp demo shout and thunder clap explaining he could mitigate the dmg more. The healer that was on me saying I was taking hits like a truck. I can bump my HP to around 18k HP (with one stam trinket (trying to get Commendation of Kael'thas) and the pocket watch) and have 17k armor. I got like 105% avoidance with holy shield up and my dodge is around at least 25% buffed during the raid and I have the SSO neck for the dodge proc. I know for my self all I can do is keep aggro and holy shield. I don't have any of that warrior fancy stuff.

(I have bumped my HP to 20k+ before but that requires all stam trinkets that I got on me)

Then the second pull me and that warrior switched and everything was all fine. I'm just sad that the chance I got to tank High King Maulgar it all fell apart. I doubt they will put me on High King Maulgar again since it's easier for me to be with Olm...

Then for Gruul I was able to be the 2nd person (feral druid 1st) on the list but my threat sucks over time with running out of mana (I use pots and ask my tank druid to use DRUMS!).

Do you think I'll ever get another chance? I've been serving as a tank the longest for all of the dungeons and times we went to Kara(well kinda, but I lead them through it) since our guild started to get things together from the start, yet I don't seem to see the day I get to tank raid bosses just because of my class.

Not sure how the newest warrior approves of me tanking stuff like this, our other warrior is more open to ideas.
Jillina

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:30 am

First: You don't want to be second on threat for gruul without a shadow priest and some threat gear instead of tank gear. Plus druids are much more suited for 2nd threat on gruul than you are(on any fight at that). YOu're probably better off switching.
Second: Warlocks exist. Tell them to stop being lazy and put on Curse of Weakness. It doesn't require attention span.

Yeah the big difference between pally and warrior on taking damage is thunder clap. Sucks when you're alone but most compositions allow them to still TC while you tank, which averages the same.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Jillina » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:40 am

We only got like one shadow priest in our whole raid and that goes to the healers...

Our guild doesn't have the the recommended class/spec'ed for raids. We are a casual guild that raids so.. we don't get to pick our candy as we please.

But that day we had the most easiest day in Gruul's and fastest.
Jillina

Postby Robbert » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 am

On Gruul, if you don't have a shadowpriest and you've been assigned the OT position you can always stand in a cave in to take some damage. That damage = more heals = more mana. Just make sure the healers assigned to you know you'll be doing this. You'll still be chugging mana pots when doing this.
Robbert

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:23 am

Robbert wrote:On Gruul, if you don't have a shadowpriest and you've been assigned the OT position you can always stand in a cave in to take some damage. That damage = more heals = more mana. Just make sure the healers assigned to you know you'll be doing this. You'll still be chugging mana pots when doing this.
I still use both spriest, cave in and actually being the primary tank on this guy till like growth 6
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Jillina » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks for the advice, but I feel like my question for solving my High King Maulgar wasn't asnwered.. XD;

Or is all I can do is keep threat up and holy shield and pop my dodge trinket.
Jillina

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 am

Jillina wrote:Thanks for the advice, but I feel like my question for solving my High King Maulgar wasn't asnwered.. XD;

Or is all I can do is keep threat up and holy shield and pop my dodge trinket.
Pretty much.

Like I said: teamplay. People see how it'll be better and do it. If it culminates in you tanking, a warrior should go in and TC/Shout to keep them up. A Good fury warrior is often threatcapped too much to dps 100% of the time anyway.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am

Snake-Aes wrote:a warrior should go in and TC/Shout to keep them up. A Good fury warrior is often threatcapped too much to dps 100% of the time anyway.

Exactly. ANY tank should be able to get thunderclap and demo shout, whether it's done by THEM or by your local DPS warrior. That, along with CoWeakness, are both things which help ANY tank, and not having that means that those classes are being lazy.

You having a giant threat lead might do more for DPS warriors (via a higher threat ceiling) than they lose by having to keep up demo shout / TC. Long term damage is more important than short term DPS.
Kelaan

Postby Robbert » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Kelaan wrote:Long term damage is more important than short term DPS.

Try telling that to an arms warrior. What level to warriors gain the ability to emote 'omg, did you see that massive crit' over vent anyway???
Robbert

Postby Jillina » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:04 am

Jillina

Postby Levantine » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Robbert wrote:
Kelaan wrote:Long term damage is more important than short term DPS.

Try telling that to an arms warrior. What level to warriors gain the ability to emote 'omg, did you see that massive crit' over vent anyway???

Fail. I know several brilliant PvE Arms warriors.
Levantine

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag