Remove Advertisements

High-King Mualgar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

High-King Mualgar

Postby Acro » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 pm

I wanna know whats the min unbuffed health needed to tank him and if my gear is anywhere near close enough.

armory aint working but

11967 hp unbuffed
14243 armor unbuffed and un devo
500def
24.25% dodge
16.34 parry
19.12% block
Warrior Ftw....
Acro

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:30 am

You'll probably want to squeeze in a little more HP if possible, but it should be doable.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Acro » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:52 am

whats the recomended minimium health needed? i work better when i know what i should try to get :P
Warrior Ftw....
Acro

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:58 am

I'd say 12.5k or so, just a smidgen more. You can do it with where you are now, it's just to add a little more breathing room.
Lore
Global Mod

Re: High-King Mualgar

Postby Mortehl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:06 am

Acro wrote:I wanna know whats the min unbuffed health needed to tank him and if my gear is anywhere near close enough.

armory aint working but

11967 hp unbuffed
14243 armor unbuffed and un devo
500def
24.25% dodge
16.34 parry
19.12% block

A little more HP would be nice, but you're going to pwn him even at that level already. Very nice dodge BTW
Mortehl

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 am

My guild hit up Maulgar this weekend... we only had 20 people. He pwned us but good. He hits like a goddamn truck. Anyone have any specific tips for the Mighty Blow/Arcing Smash combo, or is that just GG? For reference I had just over 16k HP buffed while tanking him.
Sabindeus

Postby Arcand » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:57 pm

Heard from my brother:

Keep walking into Maulgar and pushing him backwards. What you want is for his Mighty Blow to knock you away, out of his melee range, so he can't destroy you by chaining MB with a normal hit or Arcing Smash.

(I haven't seen him do this; he just described it to me.)
Arcand

Postby Strom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:39 am

Tanked him for our first kill last sunday. I had 12.5K life unbuffed (17.4K buffed).

Its pretty brutal though. I died on a couple attempts before the kill due to the healers all hitting me with a heal at the same time and then me getting hit with 2 attacks ans a special before the next heal fired (like 18.5K). Ouch!

Its definately doable though. When our ferals get some better gear I will probably just let them tank him lol.
Strom

Postby Prepared » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Walking him backwards is a nice trick, but really hard to do, with the potential for a whirlwind taking out anyone moving out of your way. With the rest of the tanking taking up the entire room, and only you and your healers in the hallway, it'd be really hard to pull off. If it was possible, there would probably be LoS issue with the ramp leading down into the big open room (the only real "safe" spot for your healers, short of the zone entrance).

I tanked it last night just fine (only died on an attempt where Krosh got loose and ganked two of my healers) with the following stats:

12.8k unbuffed
16k armor
16.93% Dodge
17.55% Parry
20.96% Block

DPS was insane that night. He only feared twice, and charged away from me twice all the way from 50% -> 0%.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Tybalt » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:13 am

A little thread necromancy here... but its better than starting a whole new thread, I expect.

So my guild partnered up with another guild to run Gruul's Lair for the first time last night. I ended up as the MT on Maulgar, and the best we were able to manage was 2 adds down. By the end of the night, we had the pull down pretty good and it became an issue of me taking 2 or 3 hits in a row, and going down hard.

Early on in the night, I had requested that one of the warriors be placed in my group to keep demo shout, commanding shout and thunderclap going. Going over the combat logs during the post mortem showed that the warrior was not doing this at all. We asked the warrior why he wasn't keeping the buffs up, and he mentioned that he felt that he wasn't really contributing, and didn't want to risk getting clobbered in a whirlwind just to keep his rage high enough for the buffs.

So my question is, for those of you who have tanked Maulgar, how does your raid handle the warrior who's job it is to keep his buffs/debuffs up to help you tank. Should he be running in and out of melee range to avoid the whirlwind? Or, should he just be attacking from behind and eat the whirlwind?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tybalt

Postby Anubisknight » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:18 am

Tell the warrior to do the job that he's asked to do.
Anubisknight

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:22 am

That doesn't make any sense to me. I assume you are using some sort of timer, you can see when he's going to whirlwind so the warrior should have no issue just backing out. Worst case, the warrior can back out once whirlwind starts happening, it's not gonna kill them with if its a swipe or two. But we have everybody back out for whirlwind.

Tell the warrior to grow a pair and get in there to help you out.
YoYoMa

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag