Crushing blows versus big hits.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Crushing blows versus big hits.

Postby NarfJones » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:48 am

We had an alts run in Gruul's lair(Im not too far ahead of everyone's alts) the past two nights and here was the scenario every time.

85% at the first shatter.
Get him to 5-6% - MT dies (Growth 12 - every time)
OT takes over
OT dies from crushings that were 12-13k
I take over
I die from 14k regular hits. (non-crushing)

Within the same growths, why would a regular hit be bigger than his crushing blows. I was using Grim Reaper to track the damage. Me and the other tank were talking and just cannot figure it out. It makes no sense. Yes, I realize the other guy shouldn't have been OT when hes crushable, but its his alt and hes the RL. The MT is uncrushable but he lags quite a bit and Im assuming he misses shield block from time to time. Has anyone else seen a problem where his regular hits, even blocked, are bigger than his Crushings?
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby adese » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:28 am

How does your armor compare to the other tanks? 12k armor (based on your sig) seems a bit low to me for Gruul...that could definitely cause you to take more damage than another tank with 5-6k more armor than you.
adese

Postby jere » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:09 am

Also things to consider:

Was he chugging Ironshield pots or did any of the healers spec into the buff that gives 25% armor to who they heal sometimes?
jere

Re: Crushing blows versus big hits.

Postby Vanifae » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:12 am

NarfJones wrote:We had an alts run in Gruul's lair(Im not too far ahead of everyone's alts) the past two nights and here was the scenario every time.

85% at the first shatter.
Get him to 5-6% - MT dies (Growth 12 - every time)
OT takes over
OT dies from crushings that were 12-13k
I take over
I die from 14k regular hits. (non-crushing)

Within the same growths, why would a regular hit be bigger than his crushing blows. I was using Grim Reaper to track the damage. Me and the other tank were talking and just cannot figure it out. It makes no sense. Yes, I realize the other guy shouldn't have been OT when hes crushable, but its his alt and hes the RL. The MT is uncrushable but he lags quite a bit and Im assuming he misses shield block from time to time. Has anyone else seen a problem where his regular hits, even blocked, are bigger than his Crushings?

Your armor is low and normal hits at that level are probably on par with him being post Growth 10.

Your DPS is slow.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby NarfJones » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:24 pm

My sig doesn't represent my armory properly. My armor is at 14.9 unbuffed and in raid I was sitting at about 16.5 with devotion aura. I know that they weren't using ironshield potions, and neither was I. It just wasn't thought of. Fully raid buffed he has about 1k more armor than i do. Would that make such a large difference that crushes would be lower than regular hits on the same growth?
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Balls » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:09 am

Was the OT who took over demo shouting and Thunderclapping? When he died, you lost both those debuffs on Gruul. That might account for something.

EDIT: That and parries. If you got any melee hitting Gruul's face, gkick imop. Pets included. Unless you're just eating 14k straiught up each hit.
Balls

Postby NarfJones » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:26 am

The demo shout thing might make some sense. I hadn't thought of that. I think we're heading back in tonight if we can't get the group for Solarian.

Parries make the attack faster, not bigger.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Balls » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:05 am

NarfJones wrote:Parries make the attack faster, not bigger.

Unless you're eating 7k a hit, can you honestly say that you take 14k dmg without a heal without a parry getting off? :P
Balls

Postby NarfJones » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:57 pm

According to the Grim readout I took a 14k non crushing blow. That's one hit, not 14k without a heal. The tank directly before me during the same growth took a 12k crushing blow. One 12k hit.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:45 am

Bare in mind, that 14k could also have been a Hurtful Strike.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby NarfJones » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 am

Nope, not a hurtful strike. He one shotted a melee right before the hit I took.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 am

Well, that's the only explanation, cause there's no explanation for a 14k hit with same armor if he took 12k crushing.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Elennira » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 am

was the OT a drood?
Elennira

Postby NarfJones » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:01 am

Nope. Warrior main tank and two paladin OT. I was third in line. The question really comes down to this. Can a regular hit be bigger than a crushing blow?
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeels » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:22 am

Since a crushing blow is 150% more damage than a normal hit, I doubt that.
Usually the damage span of a normal hit isn't that large from what I seen the span is usually around 20% (the lowest damage from a normal hit to the most damage it can deal)

So a hit of 1000 vs a hit of 800 vs (the lowest crush hit) 800 * 1.5 = 1200.

When dealing 1000 dmg max, you would need a span of ~33% to have the possibility to get a regluar hit that does more damage than a crushing blow

1.5 * x = 1000 => x = 667 (1000 - 667 = 333)
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Next

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag