tanking gruul?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

tanking gruul?

Postby Coldaan » Wed May 09, 2007 11:17 am

hi guys!

i'm planning on tanking gruul in the near future. i know it's possible, has been done several times lately. but there is one thing i don't get:

how do you get back to the mob after a shatter? warriors charge/intercept but what can we do if we get kicked to the other end of the cave? is it enough to just run up back to him? don't you lose a lot of "tank time" then, and thus lots of aggro?
Coldaan

Postby Aergis » Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Well, if you are tanking he will run to you after the shatter. He won't just stand there, or switch targets unless you lost aggro lead seconds before the ground stomp.

Simply run through him and turn around very quickly to avoid crushes as fast as possible, and walk him backwards to the center. It only takes a few seconds. And during which you are blocking, judging, hitting with seal, etc. You could even waste a consecrate while walking because you'll have tons of mana.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lore » Wed May 09, 2007 12:56 pm

The biggest concern is that he can do a hurtful strike on someone else if your offtank gets out of melee range while he's moving around, so your offtank is gonna have to keep up with him.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Strom » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Lore wrote:The biggest concern is that he can do a hurtful strike on someone else if your offtank gets out of melee range while he's moving around, so your offtank is gonna have to keep up with him.

Another reason why a paladin makes a poor off-tank in this fight.
Strom

Postby Coldaan » Thu May 10, 2007 1:32 am

ok, thanks for the help guys^^
Coldaan

Postby Aromas » Tue May 15, 2007 8:55 am

"how do you get back to the mob after a shatter? warriors charge/intercept but what can we do if we get kicked to the other end of the cave? is it enough to just run up back to him? don't you lose a lot of "tank time" then, and thus lots of aggro?"

From personal experience of tanking Gruul, I can offer anyone a few tips that might help you out :)

Pre-2.1, You cannot start the fight shieldthrowing Gruul, because he runs too fast and will get in your deadzone before ou can get it off, and by that point you'll be way behind on where you need to be for threat. The best thing you can do is pop your wings, run in, Judge Righteouness, and drop a concecrate, and then start backing him up to the center. Once you get him in position, drop a concrectate, and get Crusader up, and then continue your normal cyle. Once crusader is up, your threat will skyrocket, and warlocks won't even be able to keep up with you, which is what you want on a high dps fight like that.

Shatters are easy to beat. You won't get thrown far, so as soon as you land, you can easily run toward him and shield throw, or judge something, and then just walk him back to the middle.

Make sure you wear your Boots of Elusion/Moroes Pocket Watch if you have them. Your going to want to stack dodge as much as you can on this fight, because by the 10th Growth, damage is really going to pick up, and every chance to be avoid being hit is going to go a long way. Save the trinket use for post 10th growth, on a reverberate....

The only problem with a Paladin Tank on Gruul is lack of "Oh-shit" Buttons, once the silence hits at a bad time, or right after a shatter. Thats why having the trinket ready to pop will go a long way, in addition to potting/HSing, or LOHing yourself. So even so, it's still easily doable, and It's sure as hell fun to watch warrior tanks bitch and moan about being the OT, even though thats really out of our control, unless you enjoy being deep out of mana by the 2nd growth... lol.
Aromas

Postby Aergis » Tue May 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Pre-2.1, You cannot start the fight shieldthrowing Gruul, because he runs too fast and will get in your deadzone before ou can get it off, and by that point you'll be way behind on where you need to be for threat.

I haven't had a problem with this. Well, I did the first time I tried. After that I didn't go with the countdown start, instead I nudged the forward button slowly until he agros, while spamming avenger's shield the whole time. It takes longer to get him back to the center though since you start tanking him quite a ways back.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Coldaan » Wed May 16, 2007 12:37 am

thank you, really helped me out on this.^^

last time in gruuls lair i tanked maulgar for the first time. not that it was planned, though.^^ Our 2 warriors on maulgar died with only 1 or two adds left (don't remenber which ones), and after that 2 or 3 of our healing priests also died.
fortunately maulgar can be taunted so i thought i'd give it a try.^^
Our raid leader had already told the raid to run out of the instance but then one of the healers left said "Coldaan's tanking Maulgar" so the raid turned around and I tanked him till the end with only a few healers left and no flask.^^ the reason why I think that worked out so well is that he didn't crush me once and I dodged several of his strikes. pocketwatch ftw!^^

it was a very nice feeling after the boss died and everyone was cheering and bowing for me.^^

anyway, I'll probably tank Maulgar next week from the start and Gruul will come to for me, that's for sure.^^ And thanks to your help guys I am now confident that I can do it.
Coldaan

Postby Lorath » Thu May 17, 2007 4:06 am

Ace job Coldaan, grats :D
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Coldaan » Sun May 20, 2007 10:08 am

soooo i just tanked Gruul.^^

made it till 2% at grow 13, then a crushing with 13k killed me, but he died shortly after that. was really no problem to get back to him after a shatter, and the rest was straight tanking all the way.^^

that crushing that killed me... I think that was due to the still existing "insta-cast" bug, I got several crushings while tanking him although HS was up. Looking forward to 2.1, when this gets fixed.

anyway, that just made my day.^^
Coldaan

Postby Robbyneri » Tue May 29, 2007 2:15 am

If i had to Offtank gruul, how does i do it best?

With Seal of Vengeance?
PS: Sorry for my bad english.
Tank because it's Fun!

Robbyneri

Postby Lev » Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 am

Robbyneri wrote:If i had to Offtank gruul, how does i do it best?
With Seal of Vengeance?

Yeah, i think Vengeance would do the best job on this. But also keep your HS up of course. Maybe you'll have to downrank on it... depending on how much dmg you get as an offtank, but i think it should be enough to pick the highest rank.
Lev

Postby Robbyneri » Tue May 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Finally, I tanked Gruul.
I died when he was at 16% Life, because he hits me after a bad shatter, without heal.
But we could kill him.
Its very funny to tank Gruul!
Tank because it's Fun!

Robbyneri

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag