Gruul's Lair

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Gruul's Lair

Postby Melathys » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Where's the strat?!

Was hoping to find some tankadin specific info in here, but I'm not seeing it. We're going in tomorrow. :D

Not sure if I'm MT or not (probably not, since its our first time and people tend to default to warrior tanks, lol) But I'd like to be prepared in case I need to step up.

Anyway, off to do my research, which will probably contain mostly warrior tank based strats, lol.
Melathys

Postby adese » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:46 am

IMO, there isn't all that much Paladin-specific that you need to do if tanking in here. Here's what I do when I'm tanking in Gruul's Lair:

For High King Maulgar, it depends on which add you are tanking. It will most likely be the Priest, Warlock, or HK himself since the other two ads have nasty AoEs and will be tanked by ranged DPS. The Priest is simple - generate as much threat as you possibly can as quickly as possible. You don't have any way to interrupt his heals, so just go to town on threat. The faster he goes down, the better, since healing is stretched pretty thin at this point.

On the warlock, we tank him back towards the entrance of the instance (I know some guilds tank him where he stands, we've found this works out better for us). We put two tanks on him, usually a paladin and a warrior (I'm usually the paladin). The warrior stands near the entrance and gets the lock misdirected to him. As he runs by, I cast JoR to be 2nd on his aggro list, and cast Exorcism on his first fel hound to give the lock some time to enslave him. As soon as he gets to the warrior, he generally does a fear, so I get back to him as fast as possible since I most likely have aggro at this point. Then just fight for threat, get feared, and keep him in position till the DPS gets to him and he goes down.

As for HK...really just do what you can to stay alive. Since he is the final target, you have a lot of time to build up threat, so an avoidance weapon can be nice here. I don't have Sun Eater, but if I did I would use it here. I do have King's Defender, so I go with that as a 2nd-best option. Make keeping Holy Shield up a priority, take Ironshield pots, etc. - just do what you can to keep yourself up, and your healers will do the same.

Tanking Gruul is similar to HK - he hits hard (esp. at later growths), so keep HS up at all times, and hope that you don't get unlucky with a silence and no HS up. If you are the OT, bring plenty of mana pots and spam as much as you can to generate a ton of threat - SoV/SoR, Consecrate, whatever you can. Misdirects help out here quite a bit too.

While it's tempting to go for a more spell damage/threat orientated set to OT Gruul, I would suggest going for max stamina instead - if the MT goes down, and you are OT, he'll aggro you and if you have a 3rd tank he can become the OT and you can keep going. On our first Gruul kill the MT died around 35%, and I tanked it the rest of the way. That wouldn't have been possible if I was in threat gear vs sta gear.
adese

Postby Melathys » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:05 am

yea, I just scrolled down a bit further and noticed the extra forums down there.. please disregard. :lol:

thanks for the tips btw.
Melathys

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag