Olm the Summoner (Tankadin Advantage)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Re: Olm the Summoner (Tankadin Advantage)

Postby Belarkan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:25 am

sindorei wrote:if you pulled Olm with AS and AS hits another target, you will screw the whole raid

Yeah, you'll see if your cotank are good :)
Still AS is a win on pulling the warlock (since he's evocating, you should be able to use AS on him without touching another target.
I also pull the priest with AS and sometime maulgar comes with if the warrior doesn't taunt fast enough.
Belarkan

Postby jere » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 am

I think a lot of people are more scared of AS than they need to be. I have used it since day one of our Gruul attempts, and it is very safe as long as you watch the fight and work on your timing. If you are using it to pull the summoner and it hits another mob, then it was done wrong. Every mob should be running away from the summoner as soon as the pull happens. We do it like this:

1. Mage tank gets ready and I line up with him.
2. Mage tank calls "casting" and starts casting.
3. The second that all the mobs start moving, hunter tanks pull the shaman, the HK gets misdirected to the MT, the priest's tank pulls the priest (or it is MD'd to him as well), and I run into AS range.
4. I count out a second or so after he starts casting summon, then toss AS

So far, I have never hit another mob with that strat.

The priest is actually doable as well, though this one relies on you timing correctly. you have to toss the shield pretty quickly before he runs into range of someone, but he is also doable with AS.
jere

Postby Teah » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:56 am

Day 1 I tried to use it and every single time it didn't hit the priest but hit HKM botching our pull. After 2 attempts I threw AS outta my Gruul's Lair rotation. Its not really needed, and it can cause disaster so why even bother?

Also, because of our positioning of the summoner I could still hit the mage and get myself killed if I waited that long to AS.

Edit: Forgot in the beginning I was stuck on priest duty.
Teah

Postby jere » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Teah wrote:Day 1 I tried to use it and every single time it didn't hit the priest but hit HKM botching our pull. After 2 attempts I threw AS outta my Gruul's Lair rotation. Its not really needed, and it can cause disaster so why even bother?

Also, because of our positioning of the summoner I could still hit the mage and get myself killed if I waited that long to AS.

Edit: Forgot in the beginning I was stuck on priest duty.

Sounds like a strategy issue then. We have our mage tank pull first. When he does, the mage add runs forward a bit and then starts casting on our mage tank. I can cast AS on the warlock at that point and I will not hit the mage. I do this almost every week (barring the weeks where I tank HK obviously or the priest obviously).

The priest does take more care. For one, you have to toss the shield at the right time. For another, you have to make sure you are pulling the priest to a side of the room opposite of the HK. If you toss the shield and it hits the HK, then you waiting too long to throw your shield, which can be caused by poor positioning or just simply bad timing. Sometimes where you start from for the pull affects how quickly you are able to toss AS at the priest. It has to be really quick. If you start from a bad position, it can take too long for you to get the shield off.

EDIT: Personally though, I don't find AS necessary for the priest add anyways, I can generally pick him up by running in with a JoR and just start off the bat that way (I have had to do this when AS misses). The funny thing is the priest doesn't hit hard at all, even a warrior in DPS gear can tank this guy (though we typically use a feral druid in kitty gear but in bear form). The summoner is much easier to tank the more you are able to frontload. He Death coils too much to get any kind of sustained threat.
jere

Postby Yeti » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:42 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:Anyone have any advice on Summoner (*as far as actually dealing with him?)

We were doing "ok", but having a hard time keeping him in position.
(*deathcoil tanks every which way and hard to reposition if he gets out...)

Two tanks on him will trade deathcoils/aggro. Nothing you can do about that. Just keep moving Olm back into position. If the other tank is tanking him out of position, move to the proper spot yourself and taunt Olm. He will come to you.

If you are having trouble (or just learning the fight), you can have warlocks enslave the Hounds and put them on Olm (they will eat some deathcoils). For maximum (extreme) effect, the hunters can also put their pets on Olm. With that many "tanks" on him, Olm should be well controlled, even if you are running around deathcoiled most of the time.

Once you get the pull and tanking down, you can ease up on the enslaves/pets.

Yeti

Postby Hosp » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:17 am

You can also stun those felhunters to give locks some time to banish/enslave.
Do you guys know if hunters pets can help / hold aggro while the tank is feared ?
Hosp

Postby adese » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 am

Hosp wrote:You can also stun those felhunters to give locks some time to banish/enslave.

I toss an Exorcism at the fel hound initially, and whenever a new one spawns. That helps to give the lock some time to banish or enslave, and also some insurance in case of a resist.

Hosp wrote:Do you guys know if hunters pets can help / hold aggro while the tank is feared ?

I don't see why a pet couldn't be put on Olm. Really you just need someone/something on him to keep him under control so that he doesn't run amok throughout the raid killing people.
adese

Postby Judithmari » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 pm

[/quote]

if you pulled Olm with AS and AS hits another target, you will screw the whole raid[/quote]

Well, Olm does remain stationary to summon a felhunter, so if you run in quickly and cast mid-pull the other ogres should move out of range.
Judithmari

Previous

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag