Remove Advertisements

Gruul the Dragonkiller revisited

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Gruul the Dragonkiller revisited

Postby Eloff » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 am

My guild has been farming him forever, but they wanted to put me in as main tank as sort of a test of my tanking.

Everything was going great until I got a very unlucky knock back into a group of around 6 players. I took about 12k proximity damage, then Gruul finished me off. (I should have blown lay on hands... duh.) I realize now that I don't think I was within range of all the healers as I didn't get any heals.

Anyway, the warriors just charge right back into the center. Is there anyway that I can run back to the middle faster? Does blessing of freedom clear the debuff? Divine shield?

I'll never live this one down, that's for sure. Ugh.
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Gerilith » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 am

Divine Shield kills the debuff and you will run at normal speed. But this does not prevent you from the damage done by shatter. And it is not satisfying at all to know "man, I'll get there fast enough every 3 minutes!" ;)
Gerilith

Re: Gruul the Dragonkiller revisited

Postby Warrender » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 am

Eloff wrote:Is there anyway that I can run back to the middle faster?

Speed pots or boar's speed on boots. Alternatively, creative use of Avenger's Shield might help.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Re: Gruul the Dragonkiller revisited

Postby Base » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:57 am

Eloff wrote:creative use of Avenger's Shield might help.
To pull Gruul to you or what? Doesn't help with getting back to the middle though.
Base

Postby jere » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:27 am

Personally, I use Deadly Boss Mods to help out. I watch it to know when the groundslam is going to occur and position myself accordingly. Then, the moment the ground slam occurs, I use my mouse to rotate myself to face Gruul as I fly through the air. Finally, once turned to face him, I hold the run forward key so that the moment I land I am running towards him. This gets me within judging distance of him (10 yards). I then wait for the "frozen" effect of shatter, and start mashing my judgement key so that it lands the moment I unfreeze.

If I am slacking a bit and don't get close enough to him, I simply mash my AS shield key instead.

I have tanked Gruul successfully quite a bit, and so far I have not missed not having a charge. You just got to be on the ball.

EDIT: Incidentally, the consecration fix works for Gruul, so I was also able to lay a consecrate before the "frozen" effect sometimes , which was nice.
jere

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:48 am

Gerilith wrote:Divine Shield kills the debuff and you will run at normal speed. But this does not prevent you from the damage done by shatter. And it is not satisfying at all to know "man, I'll get there fast enough every 3 minutes!" ;)

I'm fairly certain that Divine Shield will keep the shatter damage from harming you (it will "hit" you, but you'll be immune). However, as I recall, you will still cause shatter damage to others around you, so be careful about that. Presumably, you can cancel it right after shatter hits and toss something at him to pick him up before he kills somebody.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Cakes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 am

Tiandelin wrote:
Gerilith wrote:Divine Shield kills the debuff and you will run at normal speed. But this does not prevent you from the damage done by shatter. And it is not satisfying at all to know "man, I'll get there fast enough every 3 minutes!" ;)

I'm fairly certain that Divine Shield will keep the shatter damage from harming you (it will "hit" you, but you'll be immune). However, as I recall, you will still cause shatter damage to others around you, so be careful about that. Presumably, you can cancel it right after shatter hits and toss something at him to pick him up before he kills somebody.

Not unless they've changed how shatter works. They specifically changed Shatter a long time ago to affect people through Ice Block, DS, and pots. They did this because the first kills of Gruul were done primarily through the raid having lots of invuln pots (which also got nerfed).
Cakes

Postby jere » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 am

Tiandelin wrote:

It still deals the damage to you. DS just removes the slowing effect. The damage still pwns you through DS.
jere

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag