Remove Advertisements

MT at Gruul.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

MT at Gruul.

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:59 am

I've been acting as MT at Gruul recently and been experiencing some problems:

1. The AoE silence always seems to catch my Holy Shield refresh, leaving me crushable at key moments.

2. I always seem to die at around 9-10 growths. Even our first successful kill last night had the Druid OT solo-tanking him from about 24%. I tend to start chugging Ironshield potions at six growths to help mitigate but it doesn't seem enough.

Is there anything else I can do in this fight?

That's my raiding gear in my profile. Karazhan has not been kind to me so I don't have a lot of high-end options. I can swap around some of my gear to get about 12.7k health unbuffed whilst remaining uncrushability, but it nerfs my threat, which I like to keep high as possible for this fight. I'm 2-3 weeks away from the Arena shield and I should be picking up the Darkmoon Trinket on Monday.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:11 am

Whats your raid buff HP when tanking him?

Secondly its not just you that gets caught by the silience its the healers to so that could be part of the reason. Try to time HS differently to avoid it being down whilst silience.

ALso make sure the warriors are putting up thunderclap and demo shout and have CS on you, all should be up.

I assume yo move out of the cave ins :)
Cragus

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:30 am

Raid buffed I'm at about 17k as long as Challenging Shout is up with 15.3k armor (which goes up to 17.8k with Ironshield potions).
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:34 am

Ulushnar wrote:Raid buffed I'm at about 17k as long as Challenging Shout is up with 15.3k armor (which goes up to 17.8k with Ironshield potions).

What is the typical group for you?
Hollyhell

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:38 am

All i can suggest is that ist not really your fault. Need the raid leaders to look into whats happening a bit more. However make sure TC and demo shout are up all the time. In you case i might suggest save the potion cool down for health pots, as that could keep you alive during the silience of healers, the armour might not. The armour pots are better suited to the OT take the Hurtful strikes.

Ask if healers are being silienced, they need to perhaps adjust strat to that.
Also look at the log to see exactly what kills you each time, that way you can being to understand the problem more. Sometimes a HS kills the MT for example, OT needs to move back faster.

Or it could just be a healer issue.
Last edited by Cragus on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cragus

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:39 am

Hollyhell wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:Raid buffed I'm at about 17k as long as Challenging Shout is up with 15.3k armor (which goes up to 17.8k with Ironshield potions).

What is the typical group for you?

Our group on the successful try was:

Me,
Druid Bolt tank
Fury Warrior (Challenging Shout bitch)
Warlock
AN Other (might have been a Shadow Priest, might have been another rDPS, it was late and I honestly can't remember)
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:21 am

Ulushnar wrote:Our group on the successful try was:

Me,
Druid Bolt tank
Fury Warrior (Challenging Shout bitch)
Warlock
AN Other (might have been a Shadow Priest, might have been another rDPS, it was late and I honestly can't remember)

I would get a shaman in there, as well as using a mitigation weapon (say Sun Eater) with mongoose on it.

With GoA and Mongoose, that's an extra 5%+ dodge, certainly something that would help immensely.

Also, let it be noted this is all theory craft and I'm talking out my ass.
Hollyhell

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:28 am

I wouldn't wear my Sun Eater for this fight. It's a DPS race and I need to generate all the aggro I can, and switching to the Sun Eater cuts my available spelldamage in half.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Hollyhell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:38 am

Ulushnar wrote:I wouldn't wear my Sun Eater for this fight. It's a DPS race and I need to generate all the aggro I can, and switching to the Sun Eater cuts my available spelldamage in half.

How many hunters do you typically bring? While it may be a DPS race, I think mongoose would help make some of that up, as well as mid-fight misdirects.
Hollyhell

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:42 am

Hollyhell wrote:How many hunters do you typically bring? While it may be a DPS race, I think mongoose would help make some of that up, as well as mid-fight misdirects.

Mongoose produces white crits, which won't help my threat that much (since I'm using SoV to tank). And we had three Hunters with us, so a misdirection rotation might have been possible. I prefer not to rely solely on that though.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:45 am

If you are reallly having an issue on threat, use SoR for this fight.
Cragus

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 am

Cragus wrote:If you are reallly having an issue on threat, use SoR for this fight.

I'm not having an issue with threat, but the more of it I can produce, the better. I've found it almost impossible to regain a threat lead if the OT takes it with an unlucky crit, so I'd rather not be in that situation.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 am

The OT shouldnt be that close to you then lol. However next Gruul give SoR a try, you might be suprised :)
Cragus

Postby ulushnar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:51 am

Cragus wrote:The OT shouldnt be that close to you then lol. However next Gruul give SoR a try, you might be suprised :)

I know SoR's a decent tool, but since i'm swinging a slow one-hander, I'll take SoV. SoR doesn't really benefit much from the lack of speed iirc, but having SoV ticking when I get ground slammed makes life a wee bit easier.

Threat really ain't the issue, but dying at 9-10 growths is.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Cragus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:54 am

Okes well see what i wrote above somewhere, and see what you can get out of the next raid, if it happens again tell us what kills u.
Cragus

Next

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag