So... Magtheridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Baelor » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:36 pm

I want to try AoE tanking 2 of them, but others are afraid that we won't be able to interrupt the heals reliably.

Thanks for the tips, Mortehl, very helpful.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Elryk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 am

Tanked him last week. By far the hardest hitting boss I've tested in. And yes was a win but was close to dying a couple of times.

Took a flask, sta foods, put on the HP/avoidance/mitigation gear I had(gave me more time to build aggro as well since I had very little SD on me ... so yes it's possible but just have to adjust the dps to start a bit later is all). Had a warrior and lock in group for shout and BP. Cant remember how much HP I had but started off in base gear of 14300 HP, 22% dodge, 16% parry and 21% block so was already uncrushable.

As stated, it's not so much the hits .. it's the cleaves.

Definitely recommend a decked out warrior for this however as it's not the ideal situation for pally to tank Maggy.
Elryk

Postby Prepared » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:39 am

Baelor wrote:I want to try AoE tanking 2 of them, but others are afraid that we won't be able to interrupt the heals reliably.

So tank two of them, and assign one or two interrupts on each.

Honestly, the biggest worry would be the AoE bolts, wouldn't you think? Having two on top of one another opens up the need for heavy raid healing in a very tight space, and Consecrate can only do so much.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Baelor » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:51 am

Prepared wrote:
Baelor wrote:I want to try AoE tanking 2 of them, but others are afraid that we won't be able to interrupt the heals reliably.

So tank two of them, and assign one or two interrupts on each.

Honestly, the biggest worry would be the AoE bolts, wouldn't you think? Having two on top of one another opens up the need for heavy raid healing in a very tight space, and Consecrate can only do so much.

Is one interrupt apiece for the channelers enough?

By the way, has <Insight> played with Mag yet, Flolah? If so, how do you guys do it? Any differently from what's posted here?
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Prepared » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Baelor wrote:Is one interrupt apiece for the channelers enough?

By the way, has <Insight> played with Mag yet, Flolah? If so, how do you guys do it? Any differently from what's posted here?

I would hope so.

We try to go after him after our standard HK/Gruul farming is done, but that leaves us either very little time, or none at all, because we have to rotate out raid slots as people are available, and not everyone has seen or done both fights. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes not, but we have yet to 1-shot both bosses in a given night.

So, as of this time, we've done about 4-5 pulls on Magsy. I think everything is done pretty standard, except I'm on the 4th Channeller, and let me tell you, it is not a fun time. :x

Prepared

Postby Baelor » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:25 pm

Prepared wrote:
Baelor wrote:Is one interrupt apiece for the channelers enough?

I would hope so.

We try to go after him after our standard HK/Gruul farming is done, but that leaves us either very little time, or none at all, because we have to rotate out raid slots as people are available, and not everyone has seen or done both fights. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes not, but we have yet to 1-shot both bosses in a given night.

So, as of this time, we've done about 4-5 pulls on Magsy. I think everything is done pretty standard, except I'm on the 4th Channeller, and let me tell you, it is not a fun time. :x

I can imagine that that wouldn't be so fun. Why not try putting you on the 1st (and maybe 2nd too) add, take advantage of your frontloaded aggro? Do you not have the geared warriors/druids to tank the rest?
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Aergis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Definitely recommend a decked out warrior for this however as it's not the ideal situation for pally to tank Maggy.

Not sure I agree, it really depends who is "more decked out"... Example, me and the prot war in our raid have close to identical hp, armor, parry, etc. though his dodge is higher than mine.

When I tanked him, I thought he really didn't hit hard at all... 5-6k regular hits, 7k cleave.... Maulgar hits harder, which I also tank. Don't see any reason why I warrior would be better on this one, especially when considering that his aggro is "tricky" when he unbanishes... Being a demon, it's far easier for a pally to get the snap start agro than a warrior.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Elryk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:25 am

Aergis wrote:

Not sure I agree, it really depends who is "more decked out"... Example, me and the prot war in our raid have close to identical hp, armor, parry, etc. though his dodge is higher than mine.

When I tanked him, I thought he really didn't hit hard at all... 5-6k regular hits, 7k cleave.... Maulgar hits harder, which I also tank. Don't see any reason why I warrior would be better on this one, especially when considering that his aggro is "tricky" when he unbanishes... Being a demon, it's far easier for a pally to get the snap start agro than a warrior.

/shrug. The MT in my guild has 200 HP more than me and has slightly better mitigation so from my viewpoint he's more suited.

And no way does Maulgar hit harder. I've tanked him 10 times and checked my combat logs and did a trend vs Maggy. Maggy hits harder hands down.
Elryk

Postby Prepared » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Baelor wrote:I can imagine that that wouldn't be so fun. Why not try putting you on the 1st (and maybe 2nd too) add, take advantage of your frontloaded aggro? Do you not have the geared warriors/druids to tank the rest?

I haven't really put it forward. Our current "main" tanking lineup, is as such (feel free to Armory the data. :P):

Maddfez, Warrior
Meringue, Druid
Shand, Druid
Flolah (me), Paladin
Scubax, Warrior

and we're currently gearing/training up Scarletbeard.

So pretty much we have to make the most of what we have. If someone doesn't show up, a raid is all but boned.

Prepared

Postby Tauxalot » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:57 pm

Another way to look at a paladin's use on Magtheridon may not be so much the boss itself, though I have tanked him myself. I have made the fight much easier by tanking the first channeler, then controlling the Infernals until they are trapped, feared, banished. They hit for nothing and the immolation isn't a big deal. I had 4 infernals on me at one time. I figured it's better they be on me than the healers.
BEWBZ or GTFO
Tauxalot

Postby Louranthas » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:56 am

Having recently played with Mag, it seems to me the fight is won or lost on 2 key positoins. The warlocks in phase one, and the cube people in phase 2.

I do have a serious question though. Having fought the channelers 1 and 2. . . why not 1, 2, and 3. Two misdirects into an avenging wrathed max rank consecrate spam. I'm seriously entertaining the idea, having about 19k raid buffed hp. The effects of my warrior's whirlwind, rogues blade fury, etc seems to really help dps after target one is downed. Additionally, this opens up a druid to be dps instead of tanking. Thoughts?
Louranthas

Postby Bubbleoseven » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 am

Thels wrote:Actually, where we'd excel is taking the 1st add, optionally with the 2nd add misdirected on us. We can put up more threat than the other tanks, and can tank the 2nd add without too much extra troubles at the same time. After our targets are down, we are better at picking up the various targets (remember, Exorcism works on them) than warriors are.

Not saying paladins cannot tank the last add or Maggy himself, but it's not playing into your strengths.

so should a pally tank even bother with it?
Bubbleoseven

Postby Afraithe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:19 am

A small tip, if you have problems with Mag ganking the first thing he sees (usually a healer before tank can pick him up), you should go up to him in the middle, lay down a concecration right before he pops, so the first hit will be on you, then the MT can pick him up (unless ure tanking of course).

Altho clothies should not be in middle when he releases, they sometimes forget or are to busy healing/casting to notice it.
Afraithe

Postby Kvaern » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:52 am

Bubbleoseven wrote:
Thels wrote:Actually, where we'd excel is taking the 1st add, optionally with the 2nd add misdirected on us. We can put up more threat than the other tanks, and can tank the 2nd add without too much extra troubles at the same time. After our targets are down, we are better at picking up the various targets (remember, Exorcism works on them) than warriors are.

Not saying paladins cannot tank the last add or Maggy himself, but it's not playing into your strengths.

so should a pally tank even bother with it?

I'd argue a demon boss with a known burst damage limit of about 17k damage very much plays into our strenghts.

Not to mention the pickup which paladin tanks handle 10 times safer than anyone else due to consecration.
Kvaern

Postby Afraithe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:20 am

I'm not sure that strat is very smart, usually you fight them spread out to the sides with raid in the middle, so shadow bolt volley don't hit/reach everyone. If you tank 2 at the same time, it could get nasty.
Afraithe

PreviousNext

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag