Remove Advertisements

number of tanks needed for Gruul?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

number of tanks needed for Gruul?

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 am

I was on my first Gruul run yesterday, and I must say it was boring. But we were going with 4 tanks, 1 druid, 2 prot warriors and me.

Most of the time I just felt like I really was doing nothing, and I might as well just stand around scratching my beard. The only time I did something vaguely usefull was tanking Olm (the guy that fears a lot), but even then I wasn't very good at building threat. Fortunately, he goes down late, so I had time to build, but not at the rate I'm used to (depending on boss and what rotation/blessing I use, I'm from 400tps to 7-800 tps).

Are 4 tanks really necessary? I felt a right waste of spot, especially during Gruul himself. Even when I was chainchugging mana pots oom after half the pot CD was over, and no more threat from me.

My stats should be fine, 14.4k hp, 5k mana, uncrushable, and around 16k armour unbuffed (armourylink in sig).

I don't think I'll do it again (was just in there to get a quest done), unless they NEED a tank, not just someone to fill a raid spot.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:39 am

Well... It isn't really gruul that asks for tanks. It is King Maulgar.

You got 5 mobs standing around of which on is tanked by a mage and one by 2 hunters. So you need 3 more tanks. The best geared one goes on Maulgar.
A tankadin is the best for the warlock add because he can take the felhunters as well.
If your guild feels unsure about the fight they can bring an extra tank for the dogs only.

Basicly those 3 tanks should be more then enough for all teh trash (feral in cat most of the time)

On Gruul you don't really need more then 1 tank. You can't bring any melee DPs then thou. With melee DPS you need 2 tanks. Again a feral in kitty form is nice then.

So to come back to your problem... Slap on your healing gear for gruul and do some utility judging.
Dendrah

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:41 am

Trash:

At most three mobs at a time. Strat to use more tanks is to have one tank stay with the raid ready to taunt a charging mob and bring him back to the tanks. Not necessary if the raid huddles up.

High King Maulgar:

Shaman add - tanked by either two hunters or one moonkin druid

Priest add - tanked by anyone... really. I used to tank him on my rogue for progression kills.

Warlock add - tanked by a true tank. Some guilds use two tanks on him because of the death coils. (when he DCoils one tank, the other taunts, and they just switch back and forth)

Mage add - tanked by a mage.

HKM - Tanked by the MT.

Gruul:

MT - on Gruul the whole time.
OT - Druid is best, maintain second on threat to eat the hurtful strikes.
Intervene tank - warrior, if available. Used during the silences to help keep MT alive.

At most three tanks need to be used on Gruul then. Any more is overkill.
Holyfuri

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Holyfuri wrote:At most three tanks need to be used on Gruul then. Any more is overkill.

I thought so too. I just notified the raid leader that if I go again, I'll be slapping on healing gear after the 'lock is down. At least I'll feel somewhat useful :)

Cheers :)
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Holyfuri wrote:Priest add - tanked by anyone... really. I used to tank him on my rogue for progression kills.

Your rogue was a guild hopper?
Invisusira

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag