Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Trilian » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:13 am

How often do the enrages in Phase 5 happen? Every 2 minutes?

Trinket has a 2 min Cd and Nightmare seed has a 3 minute CD.

So I trinket and nightmare Seed throught the first one and then just trinket through the second one? And both again if there is a third. With armor pots up all the time.
Last edited by Trilian on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trilian

Postby Maelstrom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:43 pm

Long time reader, first time poster! :)

We're off to our first night of learning Illidan tonight! I've got an unshearable set, 29.3% dodge, 17% parry and 21% block (I think) with holy shield and a libram of repetance added should get me unshearable.

I'm a little worried about threat, I'm around 400 spell damage unbuffed at the moment in my shear-set, although he is a demon and a dual-wielder so I suppose it balances itself out.

Bag is full of ironshields and nightmare seeds, now to make sure the healers are on their toes :)
Maelstrom

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:34 am

More than enough, i had barely 300 on my first kill :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lowgrus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:31 am

[quote=Bag is full of ironshields and nightmare seeds, now to make sure the healers are on their toes :)[/quote]

When you figure this out can you tell me... We had like 10 2 percent illidan attempts last night.

I know what your thinking... how the hell does that happen... my healers dont understand precasting. Most of the times I died were going in between phase 3/4.

I'll admit I ate one shear out of 4 hours of attempts at 3 percent and died, either I'm crazy or when he enrages he has kind of a different timer. just enough to where when I normally count to 6 and refresh holy shield it messed mine up.

But seriously every phase transition. Its like do they not realize how hard this fight is on tanks... I want to shoot them.

Well thats my frustrations for the week. I think what they were doing was staying back to heal ppl after the AoE in demon phase and then weren't getting up close enough. As a matter of fact I know thats what they were doing becusae there is no way you dont have time to get up there, I get up there with about 5 seconds becuase hes suppose to change back. concecrate, judge, excorcism, and I have a MD every time so its nice. They just need to start doing some premptive healz.
Lowgrus

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm

First attempt got him to 65%, then flames wiped us :D No shears though, thanks for the advice :) Oh and my threat is amazing on this guy, <3 dual wielders.
Maelstrom

Postby argentevenin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:13 pm

ill remember this when my guild finally makes it to illidian :>
ssc: 6/6 TK: 4/4 BT: 6/9 MH: 5/5
R.I.P the firm :<
argentevenin

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm

A solid first night, almost completed P2 then the last flame tank decided to get exploded by laser at 15% and the elemental turned around and toasted the raid, doh. Didn't get sheared once over 14 attempts :)

http://wowwebstats.com/2rsjbv1pkgvbs?a= ... #abilities

Is the WWS for the night. One thing that did happen was my buff list maxing out and I lost my flask on 2 attempts! I had to stop using the seasonal buff food to free up a slot :(
Maelstrom

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Too many resto druids? ^^
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Whitewolf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 am

I will also be MTing Illidan this evening/tomorrow...also pretty nervous.
Worldie, would you be willing to check my gear up and let me know on which pieces I should switch in/out? I was playing with them a bit yesterday, but - as always with new encounters - I keep 2nd guessing myself.
Whitewolf

Postby schantalle » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:06 am

completely off top, sorry but Worldie, your talents surprised me and make me now thinking in changing too.
I just think that pulling myself the shieldbearers, wolves and small crap or in sunwell 2-3 trashmobs out of the humanoid groups might get a lil tricky with effectively no shield for pulling and no gun to pull. :(
But the immense aggro bonus from having the aura myself.. usually am with 2 prot warris, 1 healpala/shami and 1 droodtree in a tankgrp.. however shaman put wf for warris and that aint helping me too much.
what are your experiences there ? also, how do you live with so little "hit" as you didnt skill precision?
Just Schantalle !
schantalle

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:26 am

Whitewolf wrote:I will also be MTing Illidan this evening/tomorrow...also pretty nervous.
Worldie, would you be willing to check my gear up and let me know on which pieces I should switch in/out? I was playing with them a bit yesterday, but - as always with new encounters - I keep 2nd guessing myself.

armory link would help :)

schantalle wrote:completely off top, sorry but Worldie, your talents surprised me and make me now thinking in changing too.
I just think that pulling myself the shieldbearers, wolves and small crap or in sunwell 2-3 trashmobs out of the humanoid groups might get a lil tricky with effectively no shield for pulling and no gun to pull. :(
But the immense aggro bonus from having the aura myself.. usually am with 2 prot warris, 1 healpala/shami and 1 droodtree in a tankgrp.. however shaman put wf for warris and that aint helping me too much.
what are your experiences there ? also, how do you live with so little "hit" as you didnt skill precision?

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=10230
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=9602
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=9066

Have a nice reading :)

Just as information, i usually have precision and imp devo, i specced redoubt+shield spec since we were doing netherspite and i'm atm trying to get my thunderfury binding from garr.
I've never been a fan of hit rating also, so never really bothered with it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Whitewolf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:54 am

Rgr, I just didn't want to post it without asking and be like 'zomg, inspect me!!' lol.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Whitewolf

I'm logged out in majority of the gear i'd be wearing. A few differences to ensure I'm unshearable:

1) Currently I have prepped Pauldrons of Stone Resolve (2x 15 stam gems) in place of Pauldrons of Abyssal Fury
2) Signet of the Last Defender in place of the Band of Eternal Defender
3) Libram of Repentance in place of Libram of Divine Purpose
4) Frayed Tether of the Drowned in place of the SSO Rep Neck
5) I believe it's Girdle of Mighty Resolve w/ 2x 15stam gems in place of Girdle of Stability

I 'think' that's all...
Whitewolf

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:48 am

Your gear is FAR better than the one i had the first time. You are overgeared for illidan :)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Whitewolf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Hmm, I hope it all works out then.
I'd feel pretty bad if we made it to Enrage and WAM I get rocked.

My healers are pretty good though, but I just had to replace 1 of my core Paladins, and her gear level isn't on par with the person she's replacing.

I think my healers will be:
2 Paladins
2 Priests (1 CoH, 1 Spirit)
2 Resto Druids (1 Haste geared, 1 Normal)
2 Resto Shamans (1 Haste geared, 1 Normal)

I have 2 Warriors tanking the flames also, so i'm guessing it should be good to go. I guess it'll all come down to coordination and i'll just prep my LOH just incase >.<.
Whitewolf

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 pm

I still remind the gear i had that time:
Helm: Tankatronic goggles
Neck: Darkener's Grasp
Shoulders: Pauldrons of Abyssal Fury
Chest: 2.3 badge chest
Wrist: Naj'entus wrist
Gloves: T5 gloves
Belt: 2.3 warrior badge belt
Leg: Praetorian Legguards
Boots: Naj'entus boots
Shield: Illidari Runeshield
Weapon: Hammer of Judgement
Libram: Libram of Repentance

As you can see you are far better geared than me.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple