Tanking Illidan Stormrage - A guide for protection Paladins

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

No real difference, you just can't AS the demons, and will not AS illidan to pick him at phase transitions.

I actually never had AS available for transitions since i always used it to slow demons anyway.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zx » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 pm

ok good deal. Today is the BT clear so hopefuly I can convince our GL (also MT and raid leader) to take a back seat for Illidan.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:41 am

Thank you for this thread Worldie. It was everything I needed to tank Illidan.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Bitygity » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:05 pm

hmm wtb your mods especially that holy shield. Mind tellin us your mods?
Bitygity

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:29 am

Even if my UI is no more like that...

The addon that shows that shield is Power Auras, i configured it to show that pulsing yellow shield when my HS is available (thus, not up)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Bitygity » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:06 pm

Ic well thank you. And thanks a LOT for the guide. Our guild finally downed illidan this week and i got to tank it on the progression kill. I just had trouble with keeping the flames in a straight line so the melee dont get killed. I think i just have to strafe farther out.
Bitygity

Postby iliya » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:25 pm

First time tanking him tonight... it went great. Got him down to phase 2 without a hitch. Phase 2, on the other hand, was a different story, but I digress.

The following attempts however, something strange was happening. Illidan was still getting shears off on me, even when I had holy shield up. My guildies said that I didn't have enough block and even though I noted that it could be parried/dodged, one said that it was based on block more than anything else.

You see my armory, (WWS will be up soon) what's wrong with me?!
Iliya - Vek'Nilash: Retired
iliya

Postby Fivelives » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Shear doesn't have the base 5% chance to miss, so you need to have 107.4% uncrushability in order to block it. If you're at 102.4%, it's still got a 5% chance of hitting you - even through holy shield.
Fivelives

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:27 am

Fivelives: read the sticky more carefully, Shear cannot miss AT ALL, its not just the base miss chance, meaning your numbers are wrong. You're almost certainly right that he isnt unshearable though. Sticky is there to be read people ;)

Anyways, quick question that I havent seen come up before. I'm considering getting a brutal libram of justice for phase 2 and FoL spamming one/both of the flame tanks. This should give a full 1% towards uncrittable to my target which would give quite a bit more gearing flexibility for the flame tanks. Does anyone think this is worthwile or is it just a waste of effort.
Magnusharkov

Postby Andover » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 am

Magnusharkov wrote:Fivelives: read the sticky more carefully, Shear cannot miss AT ALL, its not just the base miss chance, meaning your numbers are wrong. You're almost certainly right that he isnt unshearable though. Sticky is there to be read people ;)

Anyways, quick question that I havent seen come up before. I'm considering getting a brutal libram of justice for phase 2 and FoL spamming one/both of the flame tanks. This should give a full 1% towards uncrittable to my target which would give quite a bit more gearing flexibility for the flame tanks. Does anyone think this is worthwile or is it just a waste of effort.

I've always put a healing mace/shield on and spammed heals on the tank that's located on my side (I provide the FR anyhow). Yes, I only heal for ~1500 w/ flash of light but it's incoming heals that have saved the day before. I either do that or I watch our raid healers and take some of the pressure off them by healing em up.

What else do you have to do in P2?

Just make sure to stop healing once one of the flames is down to get ~1/2 to 3/4 of your mana back from AoE dmg and you're golden.

Anything helps...
Andover

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 am

The key point I meant was equipping a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35040 To not only heal but also increase resilience on the flame tanks, so they gain an extra 1% of freedom when gearing for uncrittable. But I dont know if this would be too unreliable to gear around.
Magnusharkov

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:22 am

It's reliable enough.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby TheNull » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am

iliya wrote:First time tanking him tonight... it went great. Got him down to phase 2 without a hitch. Phase 2, on the other hand, was a different story, but I digress.

The following attempts however, something strange was happening. Illidan was still getting shears off on me, even when I had holy shield up. My guildies said that I didn't have enough block and even though I noted that it could be parried/dodged, one said that it was based on block more than anything else.

You see my armory, (WWS will be up soon) what's wrong with me?!

You can use this macro to see if you have enough avoidance to avoid shears:

Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 101.8 combined avoidance vs Shear. now at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance() + GetParryChance(),1,0.5,0)
Last edited by TheNull on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNull

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:49 am

101.8 not 102.4 ;)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:54 am

During P2 I may spam heals, but I spend most of my attention calling Illidan's position and letting tanks/melee know if they're in danger of eyebeam. With all the flames sometimes it's hard for flame tanks and melee to see what the hell is going on.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple