Flames of Azzinoth tanking gear

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Flames of Azzinoth tanking gear

Postby Katamai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:21 am

Last night after the worst run of BT my guild has had in weeks our druid flame tank DCed when his router died and coupled with the fact that everyone was a bit tensed from the crappy run we had, we called it a night.

However i was told to get my FR set ready for situations like this and i've been banging my head trying to reach def/FR cap.

Mind you, i'm a tankadin (i was just always healing on Illidan and war/druid were tanking flames) so i know what to do but i can't seem to balance the gear i have to reach both caps.

Right now i'm using T5 helm, blue FR neck (can't remember the name), T6 shoulders, heroic badges cloak, heroic FR chest, Akama's wrists, heroic FR gloves, Belt of the guardian, heroic FR legs and boots, Phoenix band/Defender's MH ring with Hydros def and Onyxia's trinkets. Hammer of Judgment, Nightbane's shield and Libram of Repentance.

This isn't the best gear i have but i had to replace some pieces (namely the shield and cloak) because i am trying to reach the cap, but i always fall behind either on def or FR.

So what gear did you tank flames in? I should be able to patch the set up even though we had horrible luck with tanking drops. Thanks in advance.
I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Touchdown » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:23 am

Forget the def cap. If you can cap FR to 365, you will do just fine. Then, IF you can get def capped, good, but mines like 30 points from capped and I've tanked them flames for 2 of our kills so far, and done just fine.
Touchdown

Postby artofray » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:23 am

the most important thing is FR cap, it must be 365

next is uncrit which is also easily attainable by stacking resilience as opposed to trying to cap out the 490 def rating.

they don't crush so you dont need to worry about avoidance that much.

I will post a ctprofile of my FR set to give you a beter idea of what kind of gear you should get for your own set when i can get armory to update :P
artofray

Postby Katamai » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 am

artofray wrote:the most important thing is FR cap, it must be 365

next is uncrit which is also easily attainable by stacking resilience as opposed to trying to cap out the 490 def rating.

they don't crush so you dont need to worry about avoidance that much.

I will post a ctprofile of my FR set to give you a beter idea of what kind of gear you should get for your own set when i can get armory to update :P

I... was... once... called... Ashbringer...
My... son... watched... me... die...
KILL... THEM... ALL!
Katamai

Postby Neuron » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:08 am

another post confirming the fact that 365 FR is way more important.

you can get a blue helm really easily from black smithing with FR. that plus the badge gear plus one other thing like the FR/SR shield or a neck/ring should be enough.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby artofray » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 am

http://www.ctprofiles.net/31617

doesn't have to be exactly like this, but this should give you an idea of how to set yourself up, i sit at 18k hp with raid buffs which is plenty enough for the job.
artofray

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Neuron wrote:another post confirming the fact that 365 FR is way more important.

you can get a blue helm really easily from black smithing with FR. that plus the badge gear plus one other thing like the FR/SR shield or a neck/ring should be enough.

I like going Badge gear + cloak, neck, and ring myself...esp since the cloak (green FR cloak), neck, and ring all have a decent amount of stam (31, 30, 30). A flame armor kit on my gloves puts me at cap, and I've got 15 resil on the chest to hit crit cap.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:09 pm

use Flask of Chromatic Wonder.
Grants 18 stamina and 30 to all resists for 2 hours, lasts through death.

The added 30 to your FR total gives you a great deal more gear flexibility, and I find that I end up with a higher HP total meeting my FR requirement that way and using Chromatic Wonder than I do meeting my FR requirement naturally and using Flask of Fort.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Aplus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:55 am

artofray wrote:http://www.ctprofiles.net/31617

doesn't have to be exactly like this, but this should give you an idea of how to set yourself up, i sit at 18k hp with raid buffs which is plenty enough for the job.

this seems to me to be too little health. also it seems that you are wearing a lot of block gear but isn't it true that we cannot block against the elementals?

here is what i put together. i stacked more stam and didn't pay too much attention to defense, but took stam, defense, and dodge wherever i could (in that order). i ended up with 436 defense and 33 resilience. is this way too low? will i be getting crit left and right? any recommended changes are welcome.

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/21453

(i may switch this up a bit since getting the pro tip concerning flask of chromatic wonder)

thanks.
Aplus

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:53 am

The elementals do not do physical damage. You can wear cloth if you want.

The ONLY stats that matter, in order of importance:

1)Fire Resistance (up until cap)
2)Stamina
3)Uncrittability (most efficient way is through resilience)
4)Dodge/Parry (Flame melee attacks can be dodged/parried, blazes cannot. Blue beams you must dodge the hard way.)

Don't make sacrifices of something higher on the list for gains in something lower. if you can simply maximize #1 and #2, youre in good shape.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Joanadark wrote:The elementals do not do physical damage. You can wear cloth if you want.

The ONLY stats that matter, in order of importance:

1)Fire Resistance (up until cap)
2)Stamina
3)Uncrittability (most efficient way is through resilience)
4)Dodge/Parry (Flame melee attacks can be dodged/parried, blazes cannot. Blue beams you must dodge the hard way.)

Don't make sacrifices of something higher on the list for gains in something lower. if you can simply maximize #1 and #2, youre in good shape.

Would you really suggest going dual stam trinkets over Scarab/Shadowmoon Insignia if you're below crit cap?

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:45 pm

Would you really suggest going dual stam trinkets over Scarab/Shadowmoon Insignia if you're below crit cap?

I'd suggest using things like the Exalted Keepers of Time Stam/Resil trinket.
Joanadark

Postby Ulishu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Is the FR cap (365) including buffs, pots, aura etc? Or should this be unbuffed?

Also, how much resilience is needed for uncrit?

If anyone has a few minutes to burn I would appreciate opinions on my FR setup http://www.ctprofiles.net/38125.

Thanks a million!

Uli aka Shu
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - A. Einstein
Ulishu

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:46 pm

365 FR is what you need buffed. That's 295 completely unbuffed, or 260 unbuffed if you use a flask of chromatic wonder.

As for resilience, you need enough defense + resilience so that you've got a combined 5.6% crit reduction to be uncritable. 490 def/0 resil fulfills that...the more resil you add the less def you need.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Ulishu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks, Dorvan!
Just what I needed to know.
:D
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - A. Einstein
Ulishu

Next

Return to Black Temple