Flames of Azzinoth

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Cakes » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Inferno255 wrote:What's the best way of positioning to let the melee actually get some dps time in?. I reckon it's only possible when you're moving along let's say the inner circle initially and halfway through? Using like the shape of 8.

Here's what we do to maximize our melee dps time. We have 4 camps of people located in approximately the four cardinal directions inside the ring. 2 of these camps (North and South) are healer/ranged dps camps. The other two are mobile dps groups, one being all ranged classes, and one being all melee classes. The melee group typically starts on the west side, while the ranged mobile group starts on the east. My flame is the west side flame and is the first one to die.

I kite my side south first until the first flame breath, then kite him in 4-5 increments along the inside kite track. The warrior opposite me is kiting his north first, then south along the outside track. As soon as my increments are done, I move to the outside track, the warrior moves to the inside track and we call a "switch" on dps. At this point, the ranged mobile group and the melee group switch places, so the melee can continue doing dps on the east side add while the west side add is burned down by the ranged. My add typically dies after/slightly before I've finished 1 full kite path, so this gives you an idea of how fast your dps is pushing.

Edit: Your melee typically have the best chance of getting roasted on transitions where the tank is turning the flame to go to the inside or outside track. Better to be safe on these transitions than dead.
Cakes

Postby Eliane » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:16 pm

I tried the "8-pattern" someone suggested in a previous post, and it works really good. I also find it easier to avoid the lasers this way for some reason.

We kill my flame last partly because I take less damage than our druid. Last time he took 1% more damage than me even tho we killed his first. WWS is available ;)
Eliane

Postby Korendil » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Joanadark wrote:
1) POJ is kinda useless here

I actually just completely altered my raiding spec for the sole reason of being able to pick up PoJ for this one fight.

If there ever was a talent that could save you from being a complete retard, it is this one.

Is it the run speed part of PoJ that you're using for this fight or the spell miss? I'm mainly looking at PoJ for the spell miss part and would be able to get it by dropping imp hs and kings. Since I'd only be specing prot for thiis fight, I wouldn't be using hs anyway, correct?

Lore wrote:Above posters have said why (Mark and aura don't stack) but a nitpick regardless: "with aura" is not "unbuffed." You want 295 unbuffed FR, which is 365 with aura.

Oops. ^_^; Can't really be unbuffed if I needed to include the buff. Brain dead moment, I guess.

Thanks for the info about mark. I forgot about non-stacking buffs. Warcrafter just got me all excited about ways to up my hp while maintaining capped fr. Looks like warcrafter still has some bugs/missing restrictions.
Tichondrius (US)

Korendil

Postby Lore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Does anyone know if the Violet Eye flask (I forget the name) or magic resistance potions stack with aura? I haven't tried them myself, but they could potentially free up some FR to get some better pieces in there.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Lore wrote:Does anyone know if the Violet Eye flask (I forget the name) or magic resistance potions stack with aura? I haven't tried them myself, but they could potentially free up some FR to get some better pieces in there.

Comments at wowhead indicate it does stack with auras:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33208#comments

I've read the same from players in a couple threads on the official forums, but I don't have links offhand

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby fiorina » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Lore wrote:Does anyone know if the Violet Eye flask (I forget the name) or magic resistance potions stack with aura? I haven't tried them myself, but they could potentially free up some FR to get some better pieces in there.

flask yes, potion no
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Afraithe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:25 am

Tanked flames for first time yesterday, never died on any try and we took him down on the 4th-5th try or something, for some reason we had some problems with phase 3 and 4, shadow tank kept dying to demons, so switched around some positioning and killed him easily (2 ppl dead).

Got my T6 chest, yey for full T6 :)
Afraithe

Postby Inferno255 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Inferno255

Postby onacouch » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:25 am

For trinkets I'd go defense if not capped, then HP after that. Most of the damage you take cannot be dodged, so I don't think the pocket watch is a good candidate for this fight.

We got the flames down, it was really hard at first but after focusing one night to him we were able to consistently get through P2 with the whole raid alive.

My question though... with a 6000 mana puddle what am I supposed to do for the rest of the fight?
onacouch

Postby Darus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:27 am

i fucked up alott first few on this one. but its like learning to ride a bike, only one of those with just one wheel that takes some extra practice. Didnt care at all for stacking defense for crittcap, i went for fr cap then full focus on stam. end up with 20k about in fr gear buffed up.

use full zoom-out script
/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax",30)
and run to stormwind if needed to avoid a certain death, inside the kite-area ofc =P
Darus

Postby Afraithe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:53 am

I don't understand ppl that have problems with the beam, you can move very far out if needed, and the extra damage u take from standing in a fire while the beam moves past you is healable. I have yet to die tanking the flames, but then again we one-shot him last time :)

Our warrior tank and the druid died like flies to that beam when we started out, not to mention flaming the raid etc.
Afraithe

Postby Darus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 am

Afraithe wrote:I don't understand ppl that have problems with the beam, you can move very far out if needed, and the extra damage u take from standing in a fire while the beam moves past you is healable. I have yet to die tanking the flames, but then again we one-shot him last time :)

Our warrior tank and the druid died like flies to that beam when we started out, not to mention flaming the raid etc.

yepp know a few tanks that did it perfect from day one, but i havent been hit since we first got him down 8 kills ago. my understanding and reflexes were pretty off in the start, didnt play enough fps games i guess =P
Darus

Postby Neuron » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am

Darus wrote:
Afraithe wrote:I don't understand ppl that have problems with the beam, you can move very far out if needed, and the extra damage u take from standing in a fire while the beam moves past you is healable. I have yet to die tanking the flames, but then again we one-shot him last time :)

yepp know a few tanks that did it perfect from day one, but i havent been hit since we first got him down 8 kills ago. my understanding and reflexes were pretty off in the start, didnt play enough fps games i guess =P

last night the entire raid watched as i moved perfectly out of the way of a beam that spawned 5 feet behind me, missing me by an inch, only to watch in horror as the other tank's flame charged me then her and killed her. no, you cannot just run far out, you can easily get screwed, even when you do it perfectly, to which the whole raid claimed i did last night.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Worldie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:38 pm

We had some odd thing happening today while learning, and actually happening 3 times.

Basically our tanks are kiting flames first both south, then both north, then again south, etc.

However, when they got south, flames were actually almost in same spot, the tank of one got charged, even if the 2 flames were less than 5 yd from each other.

What did they do wrong?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Afraithe » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:07 am

But it was just a minor charge right? Not an enrage charge.

I think this happens when one player is to far away from the spawn sword, usually happens when one player kites far on the outside far down or up in the path.
Afraithe

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple