About Illidan

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Shai » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm

PsiVen wrote:WWS pretty much confirms: Shear can't miss.

I have no explanation tbh, I just know that our poor warrior was supposedly passively crush immune (saw a tankpoints screenie), but he did get hit by shear which wiped us with few unfortunate hits. Somebody on EJ I think said that shear can't miss and that seemed the most logical explanation to us at the time. Anyway I think it's pretty much established that a paladin can (and do) tank Illidan especially after the health changes, and that I was overreacting based on false information (if anybody has any ideas why the shear hit feel free to share). Gear balancing is still such a struggle for me when it comes to staying uncrushable and not wasting block rating, that having extra 5% leeway seems from another planet. :(
Shai

Postby PsiVen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Uh... Scorpid Sting is Miss, which we just established is something Shear can't do. And I'm pretty sure all 25-man raid bosses are immune to Scorpid Sting anyway.

Anyway I think it's pretty much established that a paladin can (and do) tank Illidan especially after the health changes, and that I was overreacting based on false information (if anybody has any ideas why the shear hit feel free to share).

I don't think it's well established, since I haven't actually heard first-hand accounts of someone who's done it or even attempted it long enough to establish whether or not Shear has an abnormal dodge/parry chance. A small chance to be sheared is an unacceptably large chance to wipe if it exists.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:52 pm

PsiVen wrote:Uh... Scorpid Sting is Miss, which we just established is something Shear can't do.

Wow, I'm really stupid.

That said, a shear is certainly surviveable... I'm pretty sure every kill we've dealt with 1 or 2 of them.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mithos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:05 pm

Afaik Scorpid Sting works on bosses, works on kara bosses, Maulgar, Gruul, but yeah it's miss so doesn't help shear >.>.
Mithos

Postby Shai » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:48 am

PsiVen wrote:I don't think it's well established, since I haven't actually heard first-hand accounts of someone who's done it or even attempted it long enough to establish whether or not Shear has an abnormal dodge/parry chance. A small chance to be sheared is an unacceptably large chance to wipe if it exists.

Tbh I have no idea what I was trying to say yesterday, was a tad tired. >< Anyhow I said pretty much because often the simplest explanation is the right one, and I don't see any reason why Blizzard would add a weird mechanic about parry and dodge when there is no need. Also you can see from the WWS log you linked the amount shear was parried and dodged (17% parry, 30% dodge) which seems perfectly normal for a lvl 70 warrior geared enough for Illidan. I also checked one of our log files from a wipe at about 12% and saw 37 % parry and 43 % dodge which I actually more than our warrior has buffed I think so there shouldn't be any negative mechanic.

Lore wrote:Wow, I'm really stupid.

That said, a shear is certainly surviveable... I'm pretty sure every kill we've dealt with 1 or 2 of them.

That's probably because you read what I wrote and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever since we just established what I said in the first place. :oops: And yeah, as long as shear doesn't happen during enrage it's in 90% of cases healeable, tho I don't think anybody would want to take any chance in that department.
Shai

Postby Lore » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:17 am

At any rate, by the time you're on Illidan I would hope it wouldn't be too big of a deal to make up the extra miss... I'm at 107.2 avoidance in just my normal tanking gear >.>
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eliane » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 am

Lore wrote:At any rate, by the time you're on Illidan I would hope it wouldn't be too big of a deal to make up the extra miss... I'm at 107.2 avoidance in just my normal tanking gear >.>

I really hope this is with HS :P. My guild is working our way to Illidan and I am in the process of gearing up for this fight. Doing heroics for the FR badge set atm.

When the patch comes out I'll have ¨20-21k HP (buffed) in my normal tanking gear and I have 113.2% avoidance (unbuffed) on live. My question is if this would be enough for Illidan because I would really like to give him a try :D
Eliane

Postby PsiVen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:59 am

Well theoretically, you want 101.8% without miss (since .6% of 102.4% is from Miss). So it does sound like 113.2% would be enough, but it depends. Certainly if that's unbuffed, since you'll gain Mark/Kings/pots.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:01 am

Tbh if i can get 120% avoidance atm with my gear, i think a BT geared Tankadin should have no real problem to get that 11-12% extra mitigation for the Shear. And Scorpid Sting afaik works on bosses, like also Insect Swarm (yes we have a chicken druid, that now usually has a jack-o-lantern on his head and says he respecced from boomkin to pumpkin)

And, the 2.3 will be giving us probably more HP than a warrior at that point of progression, so Shear could be survived... or even bubbled out, something that warriors cant do.

Is there anyone who actually MTd Illidan here btw? Our guild MT said that probably that i will do that when we will get there, but even if its 1-2 months far yet, i'd appreciate to know what's waiting me :>
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:23 am

I haven't MT'ed him yet, but it's super easy, especially for a prot pally since we shouldn't have to worry about timing holy shield the way warriors have to worry about timing shield block. Phase 2 is the only really hard part of the encounter.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aetherial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Aetherial

Postby Gavel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:50 am

Go Aetherial Go!

I haven't MT'd him yet either, but one of these weeks they'll let me. I don't think our MT wants to flame-tank, since he too knows it's the only challenging part of the fight.
Gavel

Postby Afraithe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 am

Our guild took him down first time on Tuesday after a perfect execution of Phase 2 (the only time we really had a perfect run of phase 2 in our trys).

WWS parse if anyone is interested.
http://wowwebstats.com/opitztmzgjhba?s=1591-2802

I was MT healing in this fight though :/
Afraithe

Postby Aetherial » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 am

We're getting into a habit of using certain suicidal paladins for progression kills :D

Our threat is retardedly good in this fight, btw. The #2 on threat on that screenshot is our enhancement shaman, who (like most enhance shammies) really tries to ride the threat edge. And from what I saw last night, having enough HS charges up to ensure a blocked Shear wasn't an issue... his accuracy seems to be fairly crappy. Now if only we can get Phase 2 under control...
Aetherial

Postby Afraithe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 am

Did I mention we got the Legendary main hand on our first kill? Sweeeeet.

Good luck with the fight, in my opinion, its all about the 2nd phase, have the tanks study videos of kite paths/strategy.

And on last phases (3-4-5) make sure your healers are on top of their game in the phase shifts, you don't want to loose the MT cause they didn't start healing fast enough after a phase shift or wasn't in range right away.
Afraithe

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple