Illidan Stormrage

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Lore » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Nah I've upgraded since then, I stick with my pocketwatch and wear Shadowmoon Insignia now.

2 defense isn't big enough of a deal to worry about.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:24 am

Lore wrote:2 defense isn't big enough of a deal to worry about.

I've always thought like that, then i took a 9k crit from VR :cry:

oh well i always die anyway in that fight ><
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:43 am

Well if it was a standard melee mob then yeah, but this is elemental damage. If I do get crit once in a while it won't kill me, I'll resist most of it anyway.

The biggest chunks of damage you take while tanking those guys are the green flames, and those don't crit.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Neuron » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:34 pm

Lore wrote:Well if it was a standard melee mob then I just run around like a headless chicken and only beat content because I have a skilled healbot group.

I fixed it.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Lore » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm

Neuron wrote:
Lore wrote:Well if it was a standard melee mob then I just run around like a headless chicken and only beat content because I have a skilled healbot group.

I fixed it.

Shut up and spam Holy Light faster!
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Lore wrote:Yeah I only have 488 defense when I'm tanking them. Only a small gap but it annoys me =\

15 resilience to chest ftw
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gavel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:59 am

http://files.filefront.com/invictusvsil ... einfo.html

Video of our first Illidan kill, with me tanking on one of the flames. Not shot from my PoV, but you can generally see the kite path and all that noise. Worth watching if for nothing else but the app warlock shadowbolting Illidan in the face right at phase shift and getting his shit wrecked.
Gavel

Postby Eliane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Im about to tank the flames soon and I have the epic fire resist set sorted + a blue neck. I just want to know what helmet and cloak you are wearing for this fight becuase because I think I will land at around 273fr with the chest unbuffed and un-enchanted.
Eliane

Postby Dorvan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Eliane wrote:Im about to tank the flames soon and I have the epic fire resist set sorted + a blue neck. I just want to know what helmet and cloak you are wearing for this fight becuase because I think I will land at around 273fr with the chest unbuffed and un-enchanted.
\

I'm not nearly there yet (working on Kael atm), but here's the resist set I came up with and am working on assembling:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=3654
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gavel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:06 pm

This is my FR capped almost defense capped set. Some changes could probably be made for more stamina, but this is what I made with what was available. Gets the job done.

Flamebane Helm - (40+20) 60 FR
-3 12 Stamina Gems

Amulet of the Torn-Heart - 24 FR

Crystalforge Shoudlerguards
-2 12 Stamina Gems
-Aldor Exalted Enchant (4.23 Defense)

Wyrmcultist's Cloak - (24+15) 39 FR

Inferno Tempered Chestguard - 60 FR
-150HP Enchant

Eternium Shell Bracers
-12 Stamina Enchant

Hammer of Judgement & Kaz'rogal's Hardened Heart
-15 Stamina Gem
-18 Stamina Enchant

Gauntlets of Enforcement - 8 FR
- Flame Armor Kit

Belt of the Guardian
- 2 12 Stamina Gems

Inferno Tempered Leggings - 55 FR
- Leg Armor

Inferno Tempered Boots - (45+8 ) 53 FR
- Flame Armor Kit

Ring of Sundered Souls
Band of Eternity (Revered)

Shadowmoon Insignia (could use Adamantine Figurine instead)
Scarab of Displacement

Totals:
299 FR pre-aura
482 Defense pre-flask
Gavel

Postby Eliane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Thank you very much, Gavel :) Much appreciated.
Eliane

Postby fiorina » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi, you can check my profile for the reference as well, I've logged-off in FR gear. I've tried many combinations of FR gear but this one seems the best for me from the stats point of view.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Fiorina
(get Phoenix-fire Band and put +12Sta gem on bracers instead)

Stamina >> defense cap according to our experience. During last few month of farming I was crit maybe 5 times, never over 5k of damage. While extra 3kHP saved my butt many times. But choice is yours.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:08 am

The flames have crit me a grand total of two times in four weeks, sitting at ~470 defense. I certainly agree that ensuring 365 FR and maximizing stamina is the best use of your itemization.

I run the 4 badge pieces, the amulet of the torn heart, phoenix fire band (worth paging a GM to restore if you destroyed it after finishing TK attunement - or finishing TK attunement if you haven't yet). Then flamebane bracers to finish the gearset because I was just a hair short. Puts me at exactly 365 FR, and I get to use t6 shoulders/helmet so I don't look absolutely hideous (which makes up a bit for the old "Vaelstaraz tanking outfit"). Though, after looking over Gavel's setup, I entirely forgot I could use flame armor kits. Might be able to get my eternium shell bracers back by sacrificing a few enchants... hrm...

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby enbee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Atreidies wrote:

While a Warrior may have to sit and wait for Shear to cast and can make human error, we have a .5-1 second lag depending on your server inbetween Holy Shield casts making us vulnerable to the same mechanic just without an oh-shit button.

We started trying illidan tonight, and I got sheared once all night(didnt die), and thats cause I wasn't fully focussed and messed up my rotation a sec, a shear caused by lag (late holy shield) hasn't happened once in about 20 tries, I'm sure it can happen, but the odds seem to be pretty damn low :P

Action shot btw!(no imp gg mr lock) :

Anyways, I was expecting him to hit like a truck so I brought ironshield and everything, but I stopped using it after some tries, seemed rather weak p1, so a question, in p3/4/5 whatever, does he start to hit harder, anything I should know? Since we're currently still learning p2 I haven't been able to experience it yet. I'd like to know the p2 -> p3 crossover especially, what should I look out for? In p2 I equip a healing shield and mace and spam a FR tank atm, relying on a mana pot at p2 end to fund my first rotation in p3, after that my manabar will slowly top from inc damage. Should I keep the pot cd for ironshield?
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby fiorina » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:57 pm

His melee hits are the same during all phases except enrage.
In phase with Maiev(on 40%) he will enrage at some time and have to be caught into the traps she set. If you are lucky and trap is near, you are fine. But if you have to kite him to trap far away, prepare to eat some really really hard hits. Save trinket CD for it. Let warrior intervene you.
If your DPS is good, you are going to experience just 1 or 2 enrages.

I agree he don't hit that hard if you are properly geared for it(well, you are already overgeared). That's why I disagreed with Teckbot's post on US forums about paladin viability while tanking him. While warrior tank will give you some extra buffer for error, it's 100% doable as paladin assuming your healers are half awake.
Too bad our FR druid quit so I have to tank flames only, I wanted to compare his current dmg output with lesser geared tries.

In P3 he will land in the center of the grid, let everyone clear the area, go to the center, consecrate and exorcism. It's good to have MD ready as you need to kite him towards some wall. His repositioning is due to demon phase, when shadow demons have to travel as longest distance is possible to raid members.

Good luck and keep us updated. And don't forget to save WWS for the future reference, don't let it expire like some monkey did *cough*
fiorina
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple