Illidan Stormrage

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 am

Worldie wrote:For those interested in the future, this is the video from my PoV.

Click meh

More Tankadins on progression kills!

Worldie, do you still have your video available somewhere? We're going to start Illidan this week and I'm doing homework on this fight. :)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue May 06, 2008 10:38 am

Mmm i do on my computer but need to reupload it.

Will do it in the evening.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Seloei » Tue May 06, 2008 11:20 pm

jere wrote:
Mortehl wrote:365/493 defense. I'm just not happy with where my HP wound up at.

Resilience my good man, resilience.
Go grab that S2 gavel and shield (should be really easy once season 4 hits). The spell dmg/resilience cloak is nice as well. If you do SSC, the resilience/armor/spell dmg ring off of lurker is also nice.

You can go those routes and keep a respectable amount of HP and be crit immune.

Resilience is king, no doubt about it but get the shield from heroic Mana tombs instead. also ZA 3. box ring is better imo, ton of resilience and stamina.

The fire res set I used

those beams hurt :cry:
Seloei

Postby Drak » Thu May 08, 2008 11:12 am

My Fire res set consists of:

- FR Neck from Cipher of Damnation chain
- FR Ring from TK Attunement
- Full Badge FR Set (Legs have 20 FR enchant, Chest has 15 resil, boots have 12 stam, gloves would have threat but im lazy)
- Spare pair of tank goggles gemmed the same as my main set but with 20 FR enchant

The rest of my slots are my normal tank gear, though I sometimes have to play around with it to maintain uncrittable.
Drak

Postby Splug » Thu May 08, 2008 12:07 pm

To be honest, the damage the flames do from attacking is like... the least of your problems. The occasional crit isn't a big deal here, just because the primary media of damage is the fire blast/blaze/demon fire. In a normal encounter, the melee attacks are the primary source of tank damage - thus mitigating those and reducing the potential for their burst is a major goal. It's not the case here, though it's still nice if you can get crit immunity without sacrificing much anyway.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Tekkel » Sun May 11, 2008 4:14 pm

Hmm got into a discussion with our warrior MT tonight. He thinks that my holy shield is magical and won't work on the shear ability. He even says that if there's no warrior around he rather has the druid tank over me because the druid has more pure evasion to dodge shear.
I gave up on the discussion wether shear would or would not hit me when my holy shield is up after he said that.
Loads of bullshit about full and partial blocks and that a warrior fully blocks the shear and I would only do it partially and thus make it hit me unless i'd be lucky do dodge/parry/miss it.

I mean how can u say u fully block a hit from illidan when u only mitigate the hit partially because it does more dmg then your BV. He says shear doesn't deal damage and doesn't eat up a shield block charge. Meaning that even 0 block value on gear would still give u enough BV from your shield to make shear not hit u if u have the needed amount of miss/dodge/block/parry. I guess it's 107.4% if u keep calculating miss in.
I don't care he tanks illidan when he's around but saying a druid will allways be tanking it over me because he has a better change to avoid shear made me cry.

Any of u people that have tanked him can fully explain how the paladin will do his work on this boss so I might have a chance to convice him.
Tekkel

Postby Sharow » Sun May 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Tekkel wrote:Any of u people that have tanked him can fully explain how the paladin will do his work on this boss so I might have a chance to convice him.

Holy Shield works exactly like Shield Block for the purposes of blocking Shear. That warrior simply has no idea what he's talking about.

In fact HS > SB because the added charges will help you mitigate more of Illidan's normal attacks.
Sharow

Postby Vandril » Mon May 12, 2008 12:18 am

Sharow wrote: That warrior simply has no idea what he's talking about.

This.

saying a druid will allways be tanking it over me because he has a better change to avoid shear

Im giggling.

Back to the topic. You will need 101,8% combined Parry/Dodge/Block to beat Shear. Your calculation with 107,4% is wrong, because a raidtank is somewhere between 10% and 12% missrate. Thats the value, you have to get through block/parry/dodge (presuming that you're uncrushable).

A good way to check your avoidance is this macro. Press it while your Holy Shield is up.

Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 101.8 combined avoidance to beat SHEAR. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance())
Vandril
Maintankadonor

Postby Tekkel » Mon May 12, 2008 8:06 am

Right tried that out and I can reach the marker. Thought shear would only calculate the 5% base miss extra. Anyway it involves stacking some more tier5 gear because I lack some tier6 upgrades to reach it with my tier6 items. Makes me lose around 1k hp I'm affraid but unless I get some more drops that'll be the way if I ever tank it.
Tekkel

Postby Worldie » Mon May 12, 2008 9:21 am

Don't forget to take the Libram of Repentance from the bank :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Vandril » Mon May 12, 2008 1:49 pm

And keep it for Sunwell :roll:
Vandril
Maintankadonor

Postby Aetherial » Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 am

Tekkel wrote:Hmm got into a discussion with our warrior MT tonight. He thinks that my holy shield is magical and won't work on the shear ability. He even says that if there's no warrior around he rather has the druid tank over me because the druid has more pure evasion to dodge shear.
I gave up on the discussion wether shear would or would not hit me when my holy shield is up after he said that.
Loads of bullshit about full and partial blocks and that a warrior fully blocks the shear and I would only do it partially and thus make it hit me unless i'd be lucky do dodge/parry/miss it.

Holy Shield blocks Shear just like Shield Block. If anything, a paladin has a lower chance of eating Shears than a warrior, to say nothing of the increased threat and mitigation on that fight.

Shear is not "partially blocked". You either get Sheared or you don't.

Your warrior is a moron.
Aetherial

Postby knaughty » Thu May 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Aetherial wrote:
Tekkel wrote:Hmm got into a discussion with our warrior MT tonight. He thinks that my holy shield is magical and won't work on the shear ability. He even says that if there's no warrior around he rather has the druid tank over me because the druid has more pure evasion to dodge shear.

Holy Shield blocks Shear just like Shield Block. If anything, a paladin has a lower chance of eating Shears than a warrior, to say nothing of the increased threat and mitigation on that fight.

Your warrior is a moron.

We had a 4/8 T-6 warrior tanking Illidan and I was on flames, then he emo-transferred of the server to a guild that imploded 2 weeks later. Funny story.

Anyway, with 2/8 T-6 I tanked Illidan the following week (and every week since). Holy Shield works on shear.

Paladins take less damage on Illidan, I triple checked the WWStats parses to be sure. My parses were coming in about 2-3% under his, with worse gear, due to the monumental increase in blocks compared to a warrior. With equivalent gear, you're probably looking at at least 5% less damage than a warrior.

I also take fewer shears than he did - I do get the occasional one as I'm playing from Australia with 300ms ping. He's get one or two a night trying to time block from downunder. I just spam HS, and only get one if it hits in the quarter second lag window. I never run out of charges, he hits fast, but not that fast.

Your warrior is a moron.

=Edit=

Ironshield pots are your friend. So are Nightmare Seeds and Moroes watch.

I use Ironshields and full mitigation consumables (rest of BT I use +threat). If I get a shear seed+watch = easily live through it.

You also want Moroes available for the enrages. Shield Wall / Last Stand are not required.

NB: I did our 3rd Illidan kill, with no Illidan gear, so it was effectively a progression kill, from a gear perspective. IT works so well, the guild has me MT him every week even though we have a better geared warrior available again.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby sanctifico » Sat May 17, 2008 2:56 am

Aetherial wrote:

Your warrior is a moron.

ROFLMAO

Sheer cannot be Missed, so your druid would need 103% dodge to not get hit by it- To my knowledge 103% dodge/miss/parry is only obtainable by rogues atm (rogue MT Shazrath without taking a hit (google it)) but if you remove miss they only have 90% avoidance.

Paladins are nice for the fight, but if your warrior knows how to play its a non issue.

Putting a druid on it is a sure fire way of a wipe in P1.

3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
sanctifico

Postby Gerilith » Sat May 17, 2008 4:32 am

Knaughty wrote:
I use Ironshields and full mitigation consumables (rest of BT I use +threat). If I get a shear seed+watch = easily live through it.

You also want Moroes available for the enrages. Shield Wall / Last Stand are not required.

You should never get Shear. Waiting 1-2 seconds with Holy Shield if the CDs get too near works well. But yes, Moroes for enrages = win.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple