Illidan Stormrage

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Gerilith » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:28 am

Io.Draco wrote:
Gerilith wrote:There's nothing over Commedation + Pocket Watch for this fight imho.

Hmm after talking with some of my healers I decided to use shadowmoon insignia and commedation , I trust their judgment well enough heh

Pocket Watch uses for Enrages is way over SMI imho.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Optics » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:22 am

What sort of stats are required for tanking illidan?

Aside from standard uncrush/uncrit, but should we stack more than 102.4 or if you're already well over it, stam of course.

Just curious as I will be tanking Illidan for our guilds first attempts, (not on him yet, still have council and some gear farming to go through)

Just curious what sort of gear/stats to aim for to tank him. more of a block value set? threat, stam what?
Optics

Postby Devilheals » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:30 am

Read through this whole thread as a lot of gear and stats have been mentioned, basically you want to be unshearable(different than uncrushable) and wear EH gear with 60+% avoidance.
Devilheals

Postby nicolax » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:00 am

we are at illidan and i tank him, we are stuck at phase 2 for now but we should have 3 full raids on him this week after clearing mh and all bt bosses before him.

i have a few questions :

- for how long does his enrages last in phase 5. i am unable to find this information (i don't plan to kite him into traps, unless there will be one really close to the tanking spot)

- i have read you can use the pocket watch for every enrage, so that means it does not happen more than once every two minutes ?
nicolax

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 am

nicolax wrote:we are at illidan and i tank him, we are stuck at phase 2 for now but we should have 3 full raids on him this week after clearing mh and all bt bosses before him.

i have a few questions :

- for how long does his enrages last in phase 5. i am unable to find this information (i don't plan to kite him into traps, unless there will be one really close to the tanking spot)

- i have read you can use the pocket watch for every enrage, so that means it does not happen more than once every two minutes ?

It lasts till he switches to demon phase , for traps , unless it requires alot of raid positioning , I realy suggest you take him into them , it will help :) , BUT make shure you do NOT get out of LoS of healers did that last week when he was at 12% < noob

As for pocket watch yes it does work every enrage and ironshields are your friends
Io.Draco

Postby Stroja » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:10 am

Optics wrote:What sort of stats are required for tanking illidan?

Aside from standard uncrush/uncrit, but should we stack more than 102.4 or if you're already well over it, stam of course.

Illidan does not crush, so there's no worry there - however, avoiding Shear requires 101.8% combined dodge/block/parry (don't count miss, as Shear cannot miss).

I'd suggest a minimum of 19k armor and 21k health.

nicolax wrote:- for how long does his enrages last in phase 5. i am unable to find this information (i don't plan to kite him into traps, unless there will be one really close to the tanking spot)

Enrage lasts for the duration of that phase - it is removed when he changes into his demon form. This typically isn't very long (15-20 seconds if I had to guess). And yes, the Enrages are far apart enough that you can use a 2-min trinket each time, but not enough for 3-min trinkets.

Generally speaking, I don't like using the traps at all - it usually takes half the enrage to get him into the trap anyway. Pop an Ironshield pot and trinket/seed - you'll have most every healer in the raid focused on you during enrages anyway. If you've been comfortable enough in P1 and P3 tanking to get to that far, then stay cool and tank as though he's not enraged - you'll be fine.
Stroja

Postby Lekadin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 am

I've used a trap once, because she dropped it about 3 steps to my right. Other than that, I just popped Moroes's trinket and ironshield pot every enrage, and hoped my healers were on the ball. They always were. They seemed to understand keeping me alive there is noticeably important.

On an aside, how many "latency shears" have people gotten? I think I'm up to three. Man that sucks. Usually only get them in p1 though, so if things get even more unlucky, then it wasn't a waste of time.

I even checked my Combat Log, which showed

"Holy shield fades"
"You gain Holy Shield"
"You gain Shear"

Ugh
Lekadin

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:47 am

I get always 1 shear per night on illidan. Usually if i don't get Sheared we wipe :p

Some people in my guild already made macros with LOLSHEAR spam ><
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gerilith » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:11 am

You can keep Shear in a safe period by waiting with Holy Shield for 1-2 seconds after the CD is up.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:54 am

Actually safest way is recasting holy shield about 4 seconds after shear lands.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby SmurfZG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:15 am

I was tanking illidan yesterday (progression) with ~19.3k armor, 22.5k hp and 60% avoidance buffed. Armory link should be in my sig picture.

Out best and only <30% try was 11%, when i got gibbed during an enrage (he was standing on a trap >_> qq). He hit me 14k + 6k.

My main concern is that I don't have an avoidance trinket to pop, since i run with Shadowmoon Insignia and commendation. Never got a pocket watch over ~50 runs during the past year, and seen it drop about 3 times but lost rolls. I could use my Scarab of Displacement, but its use is only half that of the pocket watch.. so I'm wondering if you think it's worth it anyway, or if the higher insignia base avoidance + it's hp use is more useful?
SmurfZG

Postby nicolax » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:47 am

SmurfZG wrote:I was tanking illidan yesterday (progression) with ~19.3k armor, 22.5k hp and 60% avoidance buffed. Armory link should be in my sig picture.

Out best and only <30% try was 11%, when i got gibbed during an enrage (he was standing on a trap >_> qq). He hit me 14k + 6k.

My main concern is that I don't have an avoidance trinket to pop, since i run with Shadowmoon Insignia and commendation. Never got a pocket watch over ~50 runs during the past year, and seen it drop about 3 times but lost rolls. I could use my Scarab of Displacement, but its use is only half that of the pocket watch.. so I'm wondering if you think it's worth it anyway, or if the higher insignia base avoidance + it's hp use is more useful?

i have almost the same stats buffed as you except 2-3% more avoidance. we are stuck at phase 3-4 for now (progression) but i hope we will kill him tonight.
as for the trinket i used the commendation and moroe's pocket watch for our previous tries, but after having thought a little about the fight (i'm sleeping in phase 1 and 3, only need to focus on the shear and making sure he is facing me when he uses draw soul, 22k+ hp is too much), i think i am gonna switch the commendation for a Figurine - Empyrean Tortoise trinket (jc bop trinket). you should craft one if you can.

300 dodge rating from pocket watch + 165 from empyrean tortoise = 465 dodge rating so 24+% dodge.

you don't have the pocket watch but given that his enrage does not happen more than once every 2 minutes, you can :
- pop a seed+ironshield (and you should, everytime !)
- jc trinket if you are a jewelcrafter
- scarab of displacement (use it with the empyrean tortoise if you are a jc, otherwise with the insignia)
- shadowmoon insignia (once only, 3 min cd :()

and you should ask a holy paladin with improved lay on hands to use it when you are at phase 5. All of those little tricks should make you able to soak/avoid the extra damage.
nicolax

Postby SmurfZG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:02 am

I do not have a second avoidance pop, and i'm not jc :< I'm unsure if it's wise to replace the commendation though, since if illidan hits me during an enrage, i will easily drop to 35% and get the 8% dodge buff.

I didn't think of the LoH trick :> thanks. I will also ask for intervenes.
SmurfZG

Postby Worldie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 am

The maximum burst Illidan can put out during enrage should be around 18k damage (MH + OH), if he hit you for 14k main hand clearly you lacked some armor and/or AP debuff on the boss (make sure ur locks don't hate u and don't use curse of recklessness). Other than that, on enrage healers should just mindlessly spamheal max ranks on you, everytime you aren't full HP you are potentially dead in a split second.

That said, with quite similar stats of yours, i remind getting istagibbed in enrage twice... in 5 months. It can happen. It's not necessarly a wipe. On the 2nd time i actually got gibbed, he zerged 2 melees then went to Demon phase, i got ninja ressed and we happily killed him anyway.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby SmurfZG » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:56 am

http://wowwebstats.com/h4gpqwkxnjha1?s=9354-10300&a=10#buffs

Here's a wws of the try in question. It seems as if CoR was up 2 times.. but I've no clue if it was on during the enrage. Also, thunder clap and demo shout was up 6-7 times each.. It seems a very low for a 15 min fight even with the flames taking a while. And there was apparently no scorpid stings either.

I guess I'll have to whine at my warrior, my huntards and my locks as well as popping a few more consumables.
SmurfZG

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple