Remove Advertisements

How to use the traps in phase 5?

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

How to use the traps in phase 5?

Postby superworm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 pm

My guild downed Illidan last night. The kill itself is quite smooth, only one mage got battle resurrected. The problem is, our MT failed to activate the traps in phase 5. The kill itself is the first time we saw Maiev and our MT didn't know how to use the traps. According to him, he got close to the traps but both right and left clicks didn't take effects. In fact, Maiev put 3 traps less than 10 yards to him but he failed to activate all of them, which caused our kill to last longer than 24 minutes (25 minutes is the enrage timer).

I know as we could down him there is no need to use the traps. But it was not that we chose not to use them last night and I think at least we should know how to use them.
superworm

Postby guillex » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Don't you just walk him into the trap, and it goes off?

edit: Sorry, you do have to click to activate it ... This is what I got from the wiki...

Additionally, Maiev Shadowsong enters the battle. Two times per Phase 5 cycle she blinks to a random player in the raid and places a special demon trap on the ground that can be used against Illidan. The tank needs to drag Illidan towards the trap, click to activate it, and position Illidan on top of it. While trapped, Illidans damage taken is increased by 100% and he loses his enrage buff. When the trap expires, a transition to Phase 4 starts immediately.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Mmm i don't remind any click, who wrote that huge BS?

We hardly really trapped him, only if she decides to put a trap in ~10 yds from me i bother to drag him on... but i never clicked anything, nor did any of us lol.

Tecnically you just need to bring him over the trap.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:55 pm

You don't click, you just get him to step on it.

Also don't even bother unless it's RIGHT next to him, it's way more trouble than it's worth.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby guillex » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Alright ... So I was correct. That's what I thought.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby superworm » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:11 am

Worldie wrote:Mmm i don't remind any click, who wrote that huge BS?

We hardly really trapped him, only if she decides to put a trap in ~10 yds from me i bother to drag him on... but i never clicked anything, nor did any of us lol.

Tecnically you just need to bring him over the trap.

So wowwiki is misleading us... Ok I think it's the problem of distance, maybe he should drag Illidan right above the trap. Thx you guys.
superworm

Postby Maelstrom » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:09 am

You just drag him into the trap, no clicking or anything required.

Maiev put a trap on top of one of the pillars last week whilst I was tanking him, this has concreted my position of "Fuck the traps, send your healers some cake and tell them to press 2 harder".
Maelstrom

Postby Cakes » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:52 am

If your tank is a warrior tank, you can have someone stand on top of a trap and the warrior can intervene them to get there quickly. Just remember that when using traps, your focus tends to shift away from smart tanking practices (shield block/holy shield, facing the boss, not standing in fire) and more towards trying to wedge a fat demon into a deceptively small trap.

Edit: Also remember that you run the risk of more people getting hit by his drain soul cone attack if you turn him slightly to get him into a trap.
Cakes

Postby Karador » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:40 am

On the RARE times that she drops a trap near your MT then it is good to use them.

Most of the time it is just going to be better to have your healers aware that he is going to enrage and they are going to have to heal through it.
Karador

Postby Joanadark » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Morose Lucky Pocket Watch is up for every enrage.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Elsie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I'd always use the traps unless it's very far. If you're positioned with your back near the entrance (wall with the ramps on the side) the trap is reliably close to illidan. By reliably, I mean I've only seen it not in an ideal location once. ever.

Once your guild gets geared out you can easily get him down in the first trap. Really saves time.
Elsie

Postby caboom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:27 am

It was never mentioned so i'll ask : why is it so dangerous to move him around when the traps are not close?
My guild will be progressing to him next, i doubt i will get to tank him, but just in case i wanna know :P
caboom

Postby Worldie » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:34 am

Because you can
1) Screw demon phase placement if the trap is in some strange place (like in the middle of the grate)
2) Turn him facing the raid... Draw Soul... hi +20% HP
3) Get out of range/LoS from healers
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby caboom » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:35 am

i c tnx
caboom

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:24 am

I just love it how when u try and drag him in a trap he does flame crash EAXCTLY on it

ALso I love when maiev puts em right in the walls
Io.Draco

Next

Return to Black Temple