Remove Advertisements

Anetheron Inferno's Main Tank?

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Anetheron Inferno's Main Tank?

Postby Andris » Thu May 29, 2008 11:28 am

We've been tip-toeing into Mount Hyjal recently (5/6 SSC as of 2 weeks ago, 2/4 TK), with 3 Rage kills and 2 weeks where we've gotten to Anetheron. The first week was "We got the first boss, let's see if we can get to the second. Nope!". The second week we got through the trash waves once or twice and started to understand that Carrion Swarm + Infernal pathing through raid = deep, deep pain.

This week, we figured out our strategy beforehand:

- Warrior tanks Anetheron on the road right behind that first rank of footmen
- Healers 20 yards from tank so they can cross-heal each other when not healing the tank
- Pally tank in FR tanks infernals near Jaina. His healers stand off to the side near Jaina but past the Carrion Swarm range.
- If you get the giant skull on your head, run towards the Pally tank (circle on his head). Thank you BigWigs/DBM...
- Ranged stands on the "priest/rifleman hill" so they can kill infernal or the boss just by turning, and they're out of the path of the infernal.

We had 2 pally tanks, a bear and a warrior. I don't have the badge FR yet, so I slapped on my lolheal set and spot-healed. I got the skull on my head, ran to the orange circle, and managed not to die...

Then our warrior tank got the skull on his head. And then Anetheron ate three clothies before our bear wrangled it down. Of course, our positioning and everything was shot to hell at this point, and we only got him down to ~60%. (our second serious try, but we'd already said it was our last for the night, having oopsied a lot on Rage trash.)

Anyway, this is our warrior's death report from WWS:

http://wowwebstats.com/vrlggib1dvurs?s= ... &a=9&dth=0

He took:

3.5k blocked (Anetheron)
2k blocked (Infernal)
<<infernal stun?>>
2k fire
3k fire
7.5k crush
3k fire
7.5k crush
3k fire

It looks like we had tank/healing failures here as well. The only heals are HoTs over 5 seconds, and there's no Shield Block...

Putting that aside, is it normal for the Anetheron tank to also be the target of Inferno? Or is this a sign that our DPS are over-aggroing again? (Like the tank getting Enfeebled during Prince.)
Andris

Postby jere » Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 pm

It does happen from time to time. In addition, sometimes a melee dpser doesn't run out in time and the infernals AoE hits the MT. Healers have to be on the ball for both situations. Most boss mod addons announce the infernal target in time for them to step it up. They just need to do that.

EDIT: On a side note, the MT shouldn't be taking that many Fire AoE ticks. in that situation, the paladin should have been running up to Exorcise the infernal as it landed.
jere

Postby Andris » Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 pm

jere wrote:It does happen from time to time. In addition, sometimes a EDIT: On a side note, the MT shouldn't be taking that many Fire AoE ticks. in that situation, the paladin should have been running up to Exorcise the infernal as it landed.

Awesome... that's a nice catch. Sadly, I didn't get a single heal on the MT during that time. Boo me.

Do people usually run 9 healers for Anetheron? Bosskillers suggests doing so, but they also suggest all your pallies should be in the back, healing...
Andris

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 29, 2008 1:03 pm

The infernal is also product of a 1,5 seconds cast time where Anetheron targets the player that will get it. It really should be easymode as a dpser to predict you're the next infernal and run to the Inferno tank.

Andris wrote:
jere wrote:It does happen from time to time. In addition, sometimes a EDIT: On a side note, the MT shouldn't be taking that many Fire AoE ticks. in that situation, the paladin should have been running up to Exorcise the infernal as it landed.

Awesome... that's a nice catch. Sadly, I didn't get a single heal on the MT during that time. Boo me.

Do people usually run 9 healers for Anetheron? Bosskillers suggests doing so, but they also suggest all your pallies should be in the back, healing...

bosskillers suggests you do the trash waves with 2-3 warriors and 2 feral druids. I pay extra attention to anything the say.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Thu May 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Andris wrote:

We typically run with 7 healers, sometimes 8. It really depends on who we have that night. You really shouldn't need 9 at all. Just keep 1-2 on the infernal tank depending on how good they are, and 3-4 on the MT, leaving the rest for raid healing.
jere

Postby jere » Thu May 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:The infernal is also product of a 1,5 seconds cast time where Anetheron targets the player that will get it. It really should be easymode as a dpser to predict you're the next infernal and run to the Inferno tank.

QFT

Though usually it goes something like this:

"Anetheron casts Towering Infernal on rogue"
"Must finish last combo point!"
"ARRGGGGG!!!!"
jere

Postby Seloei » Thu May 29, 2008 11:05 pm

all your healers shouldn't be bunched up together because if they all get carrion swarm, then you have no healing at all. Either mark em up and spread em around or just tell them to spread out and watch where they are standing.
Shadow res gear for the healers helps a TON since the carrion swarm can be fully resisted. Full SR gear healers make healing this fight almost easymode.

The infernal tank should have some FR gear to make those hits smaller (2.5k damage every second unmitigated) and if his slow, a hunter should be assigned to MD the loose ones.

spread out, watch infernals, Don't Panic! and gl :)

P.S. Bosskiller strats are so wrong sometimes that it is sad, only read up on the abilities they do, then go watch a youtube vid or read tacs on some site which isn't run by mindless twats
Seloei

Postby jere » Fri May 30, 2008 5:11 am

Here is a video of me tanking infernals. It is a bit crappy quality, but the best I am able to do atm. Notice some of the rogues doing it wrong at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBpGC8MXtk

Maybe it will help out.

We spread out and I know the general area of everyone: healer spread out, mages and hunters behind me, melee at the boss, warlocks and other ranged dps spread out with the healers.
jere

Postby Kasavier » Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 am

jere wrote:Here is a video of me tanking infernals. It is a bit crappy quality, but the best I am able to do atm. Notice some of the rogues doing it wrong at the beginning.

Maybe it will help out.

We spread out and I know the general area of everyone: healer spread out, mages and hunters behind me, melee at the boss, warlocks and other ranged dps spread out with the healers.

I can't wait to get home and watch that video. I was the infernal tank on our last two attempts and it's easy enough at the start to pick up the infernals, but it seems that as the fight goes on, it gets more and more difficult. Our main tank/guild leader said I was doing great, but it still kind of frustrates me if I I feel I take a bit too long to pick them up.

Any advice would be appreciated. ^^
Kasavier

Postby jere » Fri May 30, 2008 8:26 am

Kasavier wrote:
jere wrote:Here is a video of me tanking infernals. It is a bit crappy quality, but the best I am able to do atm. Notice some of the rogues doing it wrong at the beginning.

Maybe it will help out.

I can't wait to get home and watch that video. I was the infernal tank on our last two attempts and it's easy enough at the start to pick up the infernals, but it seems that as the fight goes on, it gets more and more difficult. Our main tank/guild leader said I was doing great, but it still kind of frustrates me if I I feel I take a bit too long to pick them up.

Any advice would be appreciated. ^^

1. I would suggest making a macro for it. The one I use in that video is a bit complex, but it is that way for some of the functionality I use. Use whatever macro you are comfortable with.

2. Know the locations of all your raid members at all times. It helps if everyone has an assigned spot. Raid members should be smart enough to run to you when they are targetted.

3. Place your macro on your action bar, and use your mouse to move/turn as you wait for infernals to drop. Start spamming the macro as soon as the warning is up. That way, you hit the infernal before it fully spawns, minimizing the damage it does.
jere

Postby Kasavier » Fri May 30, 2008 8:51 am

jere wrote:1. I would suggest making a macro for it. The one I use in that video is a bit complex, but it is that way for some of the functionality I use. Use whatever macro you are comfortable with.

Yeah, I was browsing through the other thread and saw a few posted, I'm going to try to pick out the one tonight for our Sunday attempts.

jere wrote:2. Know the locations of all your raid members at all times. It helps if everyone has an assigned spot. Raid members should be smart enough to run to you when they are targetted.

One or two escaped me during our attempts for this reason. >.> I don't know what it is about some of the people I run with, but we were trying to organize how we would be situated come Anetheron, and there's always a few stubborn people who refuse and say they know where they're supposed to be so they don't see the point of standing there now. >.<

jere wrote:3. Place your macro on your action bar, and use your mouse to move/turn as you wait for infernals to drop. Start spamming the macro as soon as the warning is up. That way, you hit the infernal before it fully spawns, minimizing the damage it does.

Oh, that will help a lot to get to it before it fully spawns. Thanks. ^^
Kasavier

Postby Andris » Fri May 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:The infernal is also product of a 1,5 seconds cast time where Anetheron targets the player that will get it. It really should be easymode as a dpser to predict you're the next infernal and run to the Inferno tank.

Yeah, but this was the guy with the boss's aggro (MT was the Inferno target)... I don't think he should be running over to the infernal tank. :o

It looks like particular wipe was a case of "don't spread out quite so much" combined with "heal the damn tank", "tank the damn mob". But I was the 3rd tank for this fight, since I don't have the badge resist gear yet (next on my list). So I was just one of the silly healers.

We do have the healers basically form a "box" around Anetheron. The problem on the first attempt was that the healers were 30+ yards from the boss, so it was really hard to heal them after they got Carrion Swarmed... the next time we moved them in to about 20 yards, and because Anetheron hits lightly, then can heal each other in between caring for the tank. Of course, we need to not just stack lifebloom/renew when the tank is below 50%, but hopefully that's not a regular occurrence.

I'm thinking that 2 groups of ranged, one on each side of where the infernal tank runs is probably best for killing the infernals ASAP... does that sound accurate?
Andris

Postby superworm » Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Andris wrote:I'm thinking that 2 groups of ranged, one on each side of where the infernal tank runs is probably best for killing the infernals ASAP... does that sound accurate?

This. The ranged dpsers should also spread out. Especially they shouldn't bunch up on that little hill because they may get swarm altogether continuously and die (or at least put a heavy burden on your healers). Except this, our positioning is quite similar to yours.

The dpsers should also watch out for their own health, if it drops too low and a swarm is soon, the RL usually ask them to withdraw temporarily to a safe place (usually behind the tower so the infernal tank healers could also heal them).

The learning of the fight is really pain, however after that we usually one-shot him. Currently we only bring 6~7 healers for this fight.

Something to add: sometimes when the infernal target a rouge, if he vanishes with good timing, the infernal doesn't appear at all.
superworm

Postby jere » Sat May 31, 2008 4:56 am

Andris wrote:

Yeah, but this was the guy with the boss's aggro (MT was the Inferno target)... I don't think he should be running over to the infernal tank. :o

Correct, the infernal tank should be running towards the MT to pick that one up while the melee runs out of range of the MT in that case.

Andris wrote:I'm thinking that 2 groups of ranged, one on each side of where the infernal tank runs is probably best for killing the infernals ASAP... does that sound accurate?

We do this. We put hunters and mages behind me on the mill between the tower where Jaina is and the stables behind that. Sometimes we slip in a warlock or two. Remaining warlocks and any other ranged attackers spread out around the rest of the area around the boss.

So we have:

Hunters/mages behind me
Healers spread around the boss/MT
Melee on the boss obviously
Remaining ranged spread around the boss, but less so than the healers.
jere

Postby Kasavier » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm

With this advice and a bit of revised strat on my guild's part, I successfully tanked the infernals and we got the boss down! :D
Kasavier

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal