Remove Advertisements

Trash - Prioritizing stats

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trash - Prioritizing stats

Postby Igrado » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:48 am

Yep. Looking for input here. Trying to jump from KZ drops to tanking MH trash.

is BV > HP? I modeled a set that stacked me over 750BV with Shield Spec, but less than 15kHP unbuffed. A MHtrash tank on my server said I should stack HP to 16/17k for eating knockbacks off the Aboms and that he only had ~450BV. Would appreciate some guidance here! Thanks.

http://wowdigger.com/character/view/420 ... do-dec5#o3
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:39 am

Basically you need as much block value+rating as possible for those trashs. They tend to hit for 1000-1500, so the more the better (it's not uncommon for me to have full blocks when i pop the trinket).

Having 18kish HP raidbuffed is fine.

For packs with abominations you should pop a Free Action Potion on the pull and then hope that in those 30 seconds the other tanks will get all the aboms off you.

For Azgalor waves i use my regular tanking set since actually there's very little aoetanking there.
For wave 6 i just use full SR gear and aoetank the casters :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Maranus » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:06 pm

A more block-centric gear will work better for tanking ghouls, fiends, and stalkers... for the aboms, you're going to want more avoidance (for avoiding the knockbacks, duh!) and armor/hp (for when you do get knocked back, more effective health, the better).

So, basically, it's really a toss up, I, personally, only keep a single set of gear, which is uncrushable, and composed of the gear that is favorable for most cases... it hasn't let me down tanking copious amounts of Hyjal trash.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Aplus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:23 am

I push around 18k hp (buffed) and ~450bv in hyjal. still the only thing i ever die to is abomination knockbacks, so do not give up too much health in favor of block value. you aren't blocking anything when you take a knockdown.
Aplus

Postby Mortehl » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:54 am

Zul'alaman is your friend. We have certain advantages gearwise that the people who blazed our trail did not. If you can manage to get the shoulders, boots, and helm from ZA and combine it with the legs, and a few miscellaneous pickups from Karazhan and Tempest Keep, you're good to go. Big + is the heroic trinket and the trinket from the last boss in heroic Shattered Halls. Add in the heroic badge libram and you are a stone wall upon which the waves of hyjal trash will break upon. (how poetic)
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Afraithe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Have your guild sponsor you with Free action potions, need about 7 or 8 of them for all the trash in MH, only use them on the tricky waves with lots of Abominations.
Afraithe

Free action potions

Postby tackle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 am

Having other tanks pull aboms off you and high block value is best. Use a free action potion to give them enough time to get agro. I use 5-10 free action potions per night in MH. They make the trash much much easier. It also helps me to call out when it's going to wear off, healer's don't need a surprise and I do tend to have lower health as I'm stacking block value. I still only run around ~600 block value. If you stack it to high you will have mana issues unless you tank aboms and that opens you up to burst death pretty easily.
tackle

Postby scph9002 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 am

meh, just stack stamina and armor!

Bv for low hitting trash in hyjal is bad, not like they hit hard anyway and you be mana starving on the easy packs and you will be instagibbed on knockdowns if you focus on bv and have shitty armor/hp!

Bv = heylookatmeimsoloingprebcbosses stat imo =)
Sugarpuff 70 Paladin, talnivarr Eu
scph9002

Postby Afraithe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 am

Actually, I use a bit different gear on different trash waves, on the first 2 bosses, I can use high threat gear to just plow through them fast. I add more dodge and stamina later on to make it a bit easier for the healers.
Afraithe

Postby Dianora » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:26 am

scph9002 wrote:meh, just stack stamina and armor!

Bv for low hitting trash in hyjal is bad, not like they hit hard anyway and you be mana starving on the easy packs and you will be instagibbed on knockdowns if you focus on bv and have shitty armor/hp!

Bv = heylookatmeimsoloingprebcbosses stat imo =)

Went to Hyjal for the first time last night. Started with a high block set ~750 block value. I was getting mana starved because I was simply not getting hit enough.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 am

Dianora wrote:Went to Hyjal for the first time last night. Started with a high block set ~750 block value. I was getting mana starved because I was simply not getting hit enough.

I find that if I mix 1 abom with a bunch of AoE guys my mana stays pretty stable...as long as I don't have multiple aboms my healers can still keep me up fine and the knockbacks provide the occasional jolt of mana. In general though I haven't had mana problems as long as I've got a few seconds bettween each wave to drink, the only time I've been mana starved is when we've failed to clear one wave before the next is starting.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Indeed 1 stun is not going to kill you.

The stunlock however...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dianora » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:00 am

Dorvan wrote:
Dianora wrote:Went to Hyjal for the first time last night. Started with a high block set ~750 block value. I was getting mana starved because I was simply not getting hit enough.

I find that if I mix 1 abom with a bunch of AoE guys my mana stays pretty stable...as long as I don't have multiple aboms my healers can still keep me up fine and the knockbacks provide the occasional jolt of mana. In general though I haven't had mana problems as long as I've got a few seconds bettween each wave to drink, the only time I've been mana starved is when we've failed to clear one wave before the next is starting.

Went back again (basically sat out last week for our other paladin tank to get his glove), and this time I warn the raid healers that I'll be sitting down to eat a couple of crits to get mana back. That seems to work better.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 am

I prioritize...

stamina
armor
dodge
block rating
block value

I stick with a high EH set for Hyjal...20-21k+ buffed, 25%+ dodge, 20-22% block, 550ish block value. I tank everything in the waves, minus an abom or two, with no free action potions, so that's why I do this. :)

The Auto-blocker is your friend here.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:12 pm

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but one thing that deserves mention for any Hyjal set:

2 shields.

If we wipe even once, my shield will be broken before Azgalor is down, even with no wipes I'm cutting it close. I remember the first time it happened I was so confused for a second or two when my HS button went grey and I suddenly started taking a lot more damage. I quickly switched to the only othe shield I had on me at the time for the last couple of waves and Doomguard tanking....the healing shield that drops from Kel'thuzad >.>

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Mt. Hyjal