Remove Advertisements

Void Reaver: Balancing SD and Avoidance

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Void Reaver: Balancing SD and Avoidance

Postby Moby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 am

In the next week or two my guild will be attempting Void Reaver for the first time... and there's a good chance I will be tanking him. I've read a number of the VR threads here on Maintankadin and I understand that it's important to be first in the rotation, Judge Crusader, use AW, etc.

At the moment I'm trying to decide what gear I should be wearing for the fight. I have in my bags more or less all the drops from Karazhan, Gruul, and Magtheridon, the SSO rep shield/neck, and a number of badge items. (My point being that I can gear in a number of ways... high stamina, high avoidance, high spell damage... and any combination of the above.) The question is, what kind of balance should I try to strike for the VR fight?

My boss tanking set (currently equipped if you care to look) gives me 15.7k health, 17.7k armor, 348 spell dmg, uncrushable, and 45.99% pure avoidance.

My trash/threat set gives me ~14.2k health, ~17k armor, ~429 spell damage, not quite uncrushable, ~42% pure avoidance, the 4 piece T4 bonus, and the badge libram that increases SoR damage.

I like the higher avoidance of the boss tanking set (to avoid the knockbacks and the associated aggro reduction) but I also like the increased spell damage and T4 set bonus threat increase of my threat set.

So... what would you do?
Moby

Postby ulushnar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 am

I use the 4-piece T4 and screw avoidance in this fight.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rustyblade » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I tanked him with similar stats if not exact stats to your boss set and held aggro from 100%(I pulled) to 30%, not even the warrior or the other paladin could pull it off me.

This was until one of the dps finally caught up with me but eh well.

The trick is to have a ret pally keep up JotC while you judge wisdom and use AS everytime you get knocked back if your MT'ing it. That combined with MD's when they are up and I am sure I could solo tank this if dps didnt pull at 30% causing the only deaths on him for the night.

I know he drops threat but with all the ranged, mainly your locks and mages constantly moving and having salv(well they should) you should be fine on threat.

Just use an oil spell damage food and a spell damage flask if you want more I went with a flask of fort and did this all my first time :D
Rustyblade

Postby Seloei » Sat May 10, 2008 4:15 am

screw avoidance you want to get hit to get mana back so you can get more threat. He doesnt hit hard enough to allow you to even get enough mana back so ive stopped even bothering with getting uncrushable. Held him frmo 95% to 25% nonstop, then a knockback let the war get it off me and it kept bouncing between us until he died.
Seloei

Postby arilink » Sat May 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Same here.

He hits for a slow 3k and you probably even want to be crushable to get enough mana back in.
I dropped defense to 470 last night but don't tell anyone ...
Tanked him all the way down to 20% (Don't forget hammering him) with numerous knock aways so that's the problem about dropping avoidance.
But well avoidance is luck stuff anyway.
Just go all out, really you can even spam Avenger's Shield, and if you loose aggro you have lost anyway due to not enough mana coming back in (Insert TK Mana Potion here).
And eventually due to the possibly higher incoming damage your fellow holy pallys are happy not having to crossheal (and therefore dying to orbs).
Don't forget to put that chainhealing resto shaman into your group for another +dmg boost.
Also wizard oil and throw in that tk blinding flask for some added fun.

If luck strikes on your side maybe you can even solo tank him.
We just got 2 tanks last night and it went quite smoothly.
He turned over to our fury war at 3% however.

Overall I would say the fight is only about avoiding the orbs ("stop casting immediately, turn 180° and get the hell out" expressed it quite correctly also no one should stand at midrange (20yard) otherwise orbs just may hit your melee) and pressing Circle of Healing/ Chain Heal.
arilink

Return to Tempest Keep