Remove Advertisements

Al'ar and his adds

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Maz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:27 pm

My guild is currently working on Al'ar and trying to use a Paladin tank on the adds in Phase 1. I admit, much to my shame, that I did not perform as well as I could.

One issue I was having was that I was not building up enough frontline threat. The adds would invariably go to a DPS warrior or a Hunter and I would have to taunt.

A second issue was mana. I was pretty much spending a lot without getting much back. By halfway through Phase 1, I was running on fumes despite taking the explosion as often as I could to take damage and get healed for mana.

The birds hit for crap. I could tank them all, I think... It wouldn't even be 10 by the time Phase 1 is over. However, if I suggest this, it will invariably come back to the question of how do get rid of them such that I can do my assigned tanking job on Phase 2 (I will be one of the OT for the Meteor spawns).

So I'm at an impasse... even downing potions is not helping (much). I already plan on asking for a Shadow Priest the next time we do it (I was not in a Shadow Priest group for that attempt). However that's the only 'demand' I want to make, as I don't want to appear too gimped for this fight.

How bad are the adds on Phase 2? Do they hit harder than Al'ars? Would it be advisable to keep tanking them AND try to pick up one of Al'ar's adds for that fight?

Suggestions, videos and what would be most helpful.
Maz

Postby Warrender » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:58 am

How much spellpower were you packing?
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Freelancer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:20 am

For phase 1 on Al'ar i usually do the standard tank and spank rountine killing the adds as they spawn with melee dps maybe 1 hunter and a healer. I really have to watch my mana as i take 0 damage :( , dont go crazy with stuff like holy shield and Consecrate just put out the bare minimum threat to hold agro of the Dps and use mana pots ( <3 Major mana pots ).

For phase 2 depending on the number of hunters in raid i have boths adds misdirected to me at a wall and i mark up the one to kill and range nukes it down then the 2nd add, swallowing the explosion gives me the mana to keep going all out on threat. If theres only 2 misdirects available one hunter multishots adds and i taunt him every 3rd pack.

I usually roll with my normal tank gear which is about 500ish spell damage buffed.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Freelancer
Paladin / 70 / Bloodhoof-eu
Freelancer

Postby Maz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:23 am

Warrender wrote:How much spellpower were you packing?

What I am currently wearing in my armory profile (306) + Adept's Elixir / Mageblood Potion.

Here's what I suggested with my guild, but I haven't heard any feedback from a higher-up:

Maz wrote:Alright, I took a hand at this and it wasn't going so well last night, even with mana potions. There're a few issues here...

1) The adds don't hit for anything.

2) Building enough upfront aggro to deal with DPS is mana intensive.

This generally leaves me without any mana after a few rounds.

Therefore I'm proposing the following:

1) Let me tank it for a round before it's killed. The damn things don't do enough damage to me. I have read strategies where a Paladin is holding 10-12 of them through Phase 1 and Phase 2 with 1 healer healing them.

However this makes me unable to tank a Phoenix add, so killing it after the next one spawns gives me enough time to get aggro on it and safely eat the explosion for more mana. Tanking it for a round also means not wasting mana for upfront aggro by tossing Avenger's Shield into it.

2) I don't know if range will be an issue, but put me in a group with Mana Spring or a Shadow Priest to help my regen. I'll more than like be putting a Judgement of Wisdom into the damn thing to help there as well.

Suggestions? Comments? Issues?
Maz

Postby Warrender » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am

Our guild strat is to have a Warrior tank the adds in phase one while I play backup and then pick them all up in phase two while he peels them off me one by one to get killed. We killed him for the first time last night and I believe I logged off in the same gear I used for that fight.

That's our strat but I found that in 2 of our most successful attempts (kill and 1% wipe), the Warrior on adds would get killed and I'd have to tank them all solo towards the end of phase 2 anyways.

Warriors don't hesitate to admonish people when DPS starts going crazy before they get Rage. You shouldn't either if they go all out before you get a few cycles of threat abilities in. I'd suggest JoC but really the adds should die too quickly for it to matter.

As for mana, you should already know about the free TK pots. But maybe Demonic Runes could help?
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:29 am

We were working on Al'ar last night and I was using a set that had 240 FR (buffed), 240ish spell damage, and 500 block value. In p1 I was running out of mana a bit, but was ok (I had to ask the dpsers to stop stunning them). In p2 I had another pally tank that gathered up the adds and then I taunted them off him to myself. However we were having problems DPSing them down and I ended up with a huge stack. In the above gear I'm not uncrushable, which I didn't think would matter, but I ended up getting a fair number of hits that were straight hits and not blocked. How highly would you rate being uncrushable for tanking the adds?
Arianne

Postby Warrender » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 am

Arianne wrote:How highly would you rate being uncrushable for tanking the adds?

Not very, considering the adds can't crush you.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:36 am

Yes, the point being that you've pushed all normal hits off the table resulting only in blocks when holy shield is up. When you're tanking 20 of the adds getting a 500-600 block and a 800-900 hit is probably a lot better than getting a 1400 hit. Though I guess I answered my own question in a way because with 20 adds you're unlikely to have holy shield up all the time (or redoubt).
Arianne

Postby Eloff » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:07 am

Does killing phase one adds during phase 2 still cause 3% damage to Al'ar per add death? Or are they different types?
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Warrender » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 am

Eloff wrote:Does killing phase one adds during phase 2 still cause 3% damage to Al'ar per add death? Or are they different types?

They're the same type AFAIK and killing phase 1 adds during phase 2 still causes 3% damage to Al'ar.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Tempest Keep