Kael - Picking up Weapons

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kael - Picking up Weapons

Postby Aenim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:08 pm

On Kael in phase 2, I tank all weapons except the axe and the bow. For anyone else that follows this strategy, what have you found to be the best way to pick them all up?

Currently, I am throwing my consecrate between the staff/mace so staff doesn't teleport, then target daggers and spam taunt. This works almost every time, except occasionally a weapon will get past and run to a healer. This leads to a scramble.

I'm looking for a foolproof method.
Aenim

Postby Lore » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:27 pm

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what I did.

But I'm pretty sure what I did was consecrate the two on the far left (as you're facing Kael's platform about to pull), throw my shield at the two on the right, and get ready to taunt whichever I didn't throw my shield at in case it bounced the wrong way. I had /target macros set up for most of them so I could get ahold of them in a hurry.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Tanking 5 weapons is a little messy and a bit error prone. Don't you have any ferals able to pick up a weapon or two? I know tanking everything is pretty badass but it makes things needlessly complicated for the sake of showboating. Three easy tank assignments are better than one difficult one.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Aenim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Lieris - I don't think it's for the sake of showboating. In all the times we've done it, there's only been one wipe caused by an error here.

We are able to start aoe-ing every weapon within seconds of them popping. This leaves a feral druid free to taunt out the mace when its close to death so its next to the healers.

I'm going for the best possible strategy, and the increased dps that tanking them all brings makes it that. Just working on perfecting it.

Lore - the few seconds in which they are targetable but don't move, can you start casting your shield then? I have relied on aoe taunt thinking that my cast wouldn't start until staff was already beating on me.
Aenim

Postby Velyna » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 pm

I usually stand a little left to the axe and hit AW and consecrate. then start attacking and judging the first DPS target
Velyna

Postby Bryne » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 pm

If everyone stands fairly centrally behind you on the steps, you can simply stand in the middle in front of Kael and start throwing down Consecration. Initial heal aggro will typically bring them right into your AoE, and you can taunt anything that makes it out.

I usually grab initial aggro on all weapons this way. A hunter standing on the other side pulls the bow (which is focused first) off, an OT grabs the axe and pulls it behind Kael out of whirlwind range, and our MT will usually taunt the sword or dagger off of me to give themselves something to do. I've never had a problem tanking this way - your AoE does need to wait a couple seconds to start, but you should never be losing aggro to a healer if they're smart enough to stand behind your Consecration.
Bryne

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 pm

I usually layed a consecration between Axe and Dagger spawn spot, then proceed to judge the mace, then head into position and spam consecration. The bear is supposed to taunt the axe and bring it away.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Aenim wrote:Lieris - I don't think it's for the sake of showboating. In all the times we've done it, there's only been one wipe caused by an error here.

We are able to start aoe-ing every weapon within seconds of them popping. This leaves a feral druid free to taunt out the mace when its close to death so its next to the healers.

I'm going for the best possible strategy, and the increased dps that tanking them all brings makes it that. Just working on perfecting it.

If it works for you then great :) Even so with a feral or prot warrior helping with the weapons we've never had a problem with AOE over aggro. Are you able to kill all the weapons before P3? We usually still have the axe left on ~50% health when the advisors pop back up so if this strategy means a clean sweep I might suggest it.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:55 am

Stand right in the middle with a cosmic infusor target/judgement macro, pop wings, and have the DPS single target assist train the staff down first (it's gibbable, doesn't need a tank).

Infusor/AoE next?
QuantumDelta

Return to Tempest Keep