Threat Issues with Telonicus

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Threat Issues with Telonicus

Postby fredi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:11 am

Our guild has been working on Kael'thas off and on for a while now, and I usually tank the mace, sword, shield and daggers while dps focus fires the mace and rogues interupt, then aoe the rest. I usually do a lot of nothing for phase 3 but last night I was asked to tank Master Engineer Telonicus durning P3.

Well to make a long story short, my threat pretty much sucked on him the whole night. I'm at 505 spell damage buffed with spirit, wizard oil and greater arcane elixir. I judged crusader on Telonicus and was still only able to keep 400-500 tps and only topped out at 800tps briefly. It was tough to stay ahead of the dps and I was giving it everything I had.

I made sure I didn't have salv and that RF was active on every single fight but I had the same threat level on him all night.

So has anyone else noticed this like its normal? This was my first time to tank him so I have nothing to go by in past experience.
Fredi
Level 70 Human Paladin - Nordrassil
fredi

Postby Worldie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 am

It's quite normal since he doesn't melee at all and his attack rate is very slow, and also your SA threat is divided on 4 targets as well.
Since your casters should be on Thaladred it shouldnt be a problem.
Ah, don't use the legendary sword if u are, use the mace instead.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fredi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Maybe i'm just missing the threat from holy shield then that i'm used to seeing. I should check the log and make sure my consecrate was hitting him as well, I have noticed on prince before that my consecrate was doing no damage even though he was standing in the middle of it. Also I don't use the mace or the sword since my amani punisher has more spell damage. Is there any reason to use the mace other than to be able to put the buff on people with FoL?
Fredi
fredi

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Keep the Punisher while you're actively tanking; just switch to the mace when you need to hit someone with the buff.

Hit Telonicus with your shield every time it's on cooldown as well -- you can time it so your cast overlaps with his bomb cast, or just go for it and take the chance of a crushing. He hits softly and slowly enough that it's not a big deal -- losing aggro on him would be worse.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Bryne » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 pm

If possible, try to have your AoE hold off a few seconds on weapons so that you can save Avenging Wrath for Telonicus. It's most important that you pick him up and hold aggro on him so that your DPS can go hard right away in P3 (if he's your first target for melee, at least), so the threat boost will be the most useful there.

You sound like you're right where you should be with threat stats for this fight (don't forget spell damage food), so even while you're doing everything you can do to go all out on him in P3, your DPS still needs to keep an eye on Omen. Keep your mana high with pots. I can't see your armory since there doesn't actually appear to be a paladin named Fredi on any Shattered Halls server, but you might want to consider Imp. Judgement as well.
Bryne

Postby fredi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Sorry, armory link here:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&n=Fredi

Shattered halls was a sinking ship as far as raiding went so I transfered to Nordrassil a while back.

Thanks for the tips. I've been using stam food for this fight but i'll try some spell damage food since the extra spell damage would probably be better than the extra stam.
Fredi
fredi

Postby Egomantle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Last night I had some difficulties actually picking up Telonicus as the start of Phase 3. It's our second or third night of real attempts.

At the end of Phase 2, I run over to his corpse, getting there a few seconds before he rezes. I consecrated, and stood ready. A couple of times, as soon as he became active, he aggroed on someone else, ran straight out of range, and I had to haul him to the wall from the middle of the room. Very irritating.

I was expecting him to behave like the melee Nagas on Lurker Below... a short invulnerability while positioning, then judge and tank. But it just didn't seem to work like that. I'd sometimes have a weapon still on me, which made targeting a little awkward.

Any thoughts, or do I just need to practice the timing?
Egomantle

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 am

Just practice the timing...a consecrate, spamming right-click on him and judging him as soon as you can target him should be more than enough.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Aleriya » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 pm

If you use the shield for the 4-second damage shield, you can get AS off without worrying about crushing blows :)
Aleriya

Postby Egomantle » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 pm

Three attempts last night without any problems. Best I can figure is that I wasn't getting there as cleanly as I could have.

(Also, Kael downed... woot!)
Egomantle

Return to Tempest Keep