Need FiR gear for Kael?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Need FiR gear for Kael?

Postby Rainge » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:55 pm

Simple question. Do I need fire resist gear for tanking phoenixes on Kael? Or will the buff from the mace and my FiR aura be enough?
Rainge

Postby Afraithe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:08 am

I don't think you should be tanking phoenexes on Kael, they are usually kited by a Shaman or a Hunter.

If you mean Al'ar adds, no, don't need any fire res.
Afraithe

Postby Eliane » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:42 am

I tank the phoenix' when we kill Kael to the left or right of Kael himself so the dps can get to the eggs as fast as possible. I do this with zero FR gear. We find it easier this way because noone has to worry about where they are.

A tip when tanking them is to pick up the shield and use it just as they are about to explode and thus negate the damage from it and the fall.
Eliane

Postby Rainge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:49 am

Thanks for the tip Eliane.
Rainge

Postby PsiVen » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:44 am

Short answer: Nah, the mace buff + FR aura is enough.

Long answer: We use our warlock tank to kite most of the phoenixes, since he already has capped FR. As I recall they don't deal melee damage, so the lock could 'tank' them this way as well... But I really don't recommend tanking them. Personally I've found it much harder than kiting.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Cakes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:59 am

We tank them purely for egg positioning purposes, and we do it in no more FR than the aura and the mace buff. Seems to work fine.
Cakes

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:37 am

I kite the Phoenixes on our Kael, FR aura is enough. Tanking them is possible but you will take probably more damage than Kael's tank...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gerilith » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am

Cakes wrote:We tank them purely for egg positioning purposes, and we do it in no more FR than the aura and the mace buff. Seems to work fine.

It does.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Lore » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:18 am

Yeah, I always just tanked them off to the side, DPS can find them easier if they know where to look.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Rainge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:16 am

Worldie wrote:I kite the Phoenixes on our Kael

I haven't seen the room yet - I'm curious how you kite them. Does AS cause enough threat to hold aggro on them until they kill themselves?
Rainge

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Rainge wrote:
Worldie wrote:I kite the Phoenixes on our Kael

I haven't seen the room yet - I'm curious how you kite them. Does AS cause enough threat to hold aggro on them until they kill themselves?

AS alone isnt.
AS + JoB + dragging them in the consecration is usually enough, i also JoB everytime i can, and shield and run throught them if i need to run other side.

If you are bored enough you can check in my fraps of our first kael kill how i do it, i find it quite effective since i don't really require more than 1 or 2 heals during the whole process. >> link
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:21 pm

Our druid tank runs FR gear and says it helps, but we didn't use it for our first two or three kills so it isn't necesary at all. The only thing our feral druid tanks other than the phoenixes is the axe in p2 though, and he said the phoenix damage to him is much higher than the axe was, so he geared to handle that phase best. If you're tanking multiple weapons in p2, or and advisor in p3, then I would definitely say that FR gear isn't worth the cost there.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Gerilith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:06 am

The big advantage of tanking just beside Kael (it works without fireres, anyways) is the possibility to have the melees switch to the eggs, too without loosing much DPS. It's just a question of safety. If you are able to get the eggs down with ranged only this will work fine, too.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Dorvan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 am

From the bosskillers strategy guide:

A warlock of any talent build can tank Capernian with zero fire resistance. This warlock tank and two healers should be on one side of Capernian with the rest of the raid greater than 30 yards behind her. All classes who must be less than 30 yards to attack must either stand back and sit this advisor out entirely or avoid using attacks with a range below 30 yards. Remember this phase is not a race so lowering your DPS on Capernian a little bit is manageable.

Instead of having a warlock dampen his/her damage by wearing fire resistance gear to deal with Conflagration, have one of your protection warriors wear 150-200 unbuffed fire resistance gear (this is dual purposed for phase 4). This protection warrior must stay closer to Capernian than the warlock tank at all times, but no closer than 15 yards (to avoid her Arcane Explosion). Assign one healer, who will stay over 30 yards from Capernian, to heal this Conflagration Tank. The Conflagration tank must also position him/herself properly so that he/she is in range of this healer.

If executed correctly, the warlock should never be affected by Conflagration and should take all Fireballs. The two warlock tank healers should have no problem keeping this warlock alive and other than the warlock tank and the FR Tank, no one else should take any damage at all.

Have you guys been using this tactic? If not, how do you deal with the Conflagration during phase 1?
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Thyrion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:29 am

We used a warrior (without fr) to step in for conflagrate, if Capernian ran too close to the warlock.
But we always have two warlocks building aggro on her, so if one is too close, the other gets aggro.

DPS waits, till Capernian stands safely after the first conflagrate.
Thyrion

Next

Return to Tempest Keep