Void Reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Void Reaver

Postby Teah » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Sorry for making a new topic, but really I would like some advice about him.

Tonight we killed Void Reaver, this was our second kill. For our first kill we didn't have the healing online so I respeced holy for the guild and topped the healing charts. But tonight we had the healing, so I got a shot at tanking him.

Because I have very understanding co-tanks we always started off with me tanking. Usually I'd tank him for about 20% of his life before getting knocked. With Void hitting me I generated on average 700TPS, when he switched I generated on average 500TPS. I always used AW when it was up and I judged crusader.

From my understanding the healers felt like I was taking too much damage. But after looking at various WWS I actually take about the same as our warriors. The difference is my HP is 17k raid buffed, while they have 19-20k. Also I have around 4% less dodge/parry.. which is big. Here are a few WWS of tonight:

http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=4go2e3wvdiyma&m
http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=xu3jr53dyrgky

First one has all the attempts. =/

It felt like I simply wasn't getting healed, every time Void switched to me I had about 9k health to start with. So when he started pounding on me it hurt pretty bad. The only thing that saved me, was the talent most of us seem to love/hate - AD. Since I have 17k health me starting with around 9k.. I view that as unacceptable. When I was healing I kept the tanks topped off, and that simply wasn't happening here. Another thing to note that in our healers defense.. we had way too many melee up there. But since we are newer at this stuff we don't exactly get to pick and choose who gets in the raid. Sometimes we even kill stuff with less then 25. This week we had to one shot Gruul with 22.

Next time I tank him I will prolly use the 49/12 build, simply because I'm willing to try out putting in AS in my rotation. (After I lose him) I was able to sustain my mana throughout the entire fight. Still trying to get the arena mace, however still a couple weeks off of it. Not much I can do about that.

I am trying to think of things I can do to improve - but I cant think of many more. I was using spell damage flask+oil+stam food. Right now I'm getting shot down pretty hard for "taking too much damage".. but hell. As you can see I am trying to fight that by providing WWS charts and info.

Really looking for any advice that can be given. Either about simply tanking him or dealing with my guild. It always feels like that unless I am there healing with them our healing just sucks balls.
Teah

Postby Sereen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:50 pm

I would say that your healers need to l2p a little bit, personally. Lootreaver hits like a girl. A massive, magical, metal girl, but a sissy one.
Sereen

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:15 am

It is very important for the tanks to be topped off for knockbacks and it can get you killed. If they're having to dodge too many orbs to concentrate on healing, have one or two stand in the poundings.
You have 2 resto druids; they should be refreshing 3-stack lifeblooms on all 3 tanks, and leaving the melee healing to the shaman who should be spamming Chain Heal. It looks to me like both the druids are just randomly spamming HoTs on melee, and that's just not making good use of their strengths.

Also you can work AS into your rotation while tanking him, he doesn't melee during Poundings.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Teah » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:43 am

I'm going to have to try that with AS, sounds like it might help. I didn't find I had too much problem getting him back. But still I'm not totally happy with my threat. :oops:
Teah

Postby Kyroro » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:40 am

It's not just the MT that gets hit, the OTs and melee take constant damage from pounding and OTs also need to be topped off in case of a sudden knockback and VR changes his targets. You don't want to have the next tank drop because he wasn't topped off. It's not as easy as you might think, although shammy CH and priest CoH do make it very easy. Single target healers are at a large disadvantage.
Kyroro

Postby Teah » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Which is a major problem my guild has in general. Most of our healers are in fact - paladins. These days we either have 4 or 5 blessings up in our raids. We need healers to be either a holy priest, resto druid or resto shaman - to balance out our single target healing.

Heck we did HKM with 6 healers and 5 of them paladins - it was very interesting.
Last edited by Teah on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teah

Postby Lore » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah it sounds like you got your own problem pretty much nailed down, your healers aren't topping you off.

It took quite a bit of me yelling in vent for heals before our healers started healing me like they heal any other tank.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Teah » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:47 pm

Little update, we tried him again tonight and had the same problem. Only got 2 attempts off before we had to call it (people have work in the morning).

But I got both resto druids keeping up full hots on all 3 of the tanks. I think its an improvement as after the first attempt of me and my-co-tanks dying because of not being topped off. I actually wasn't the first to die tonight.. but our best geared tank was. :lol:
Teah

Re; Void Reaver

Postby Aular » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:48 am

What spell damage, gear, and defensive stats do you run the fight with?

I don't think my gear is bad. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... nd&n=Aular) is my profile. I can't seem to locate yours, so I can't compare.

I have a rough time in the fight. We usually run it with a Warrior, Druid and me. If I start the fight, I can hold it until the first knockback, then it'll usually switch to the Druid. After she's knocked back once or twice, it will then pivot between the warrior and druid, and nothing I do can pull it back to me. My rotation is usually:

Pop Seal of Crusader
Pop Holy shield
Pop AW
Pull with Shield, judge Crusader and move into position.
Pop SoVengence

- Pop H-shield
- Consecrate
- Judge SoV (if more than 3 applications)
Loop these three
- AW when it's up. Go up to the first '-'

If I'm not being hit, I omit the holy shield and just do as much damage as I can. And After the first knockback, I don't get aggro back.
Aular

Postby Worldie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:16 am

Supposing you get decent healers, you can go with full spelldamage gear, maybe even losing crushing immunity (VR doesnt hit that hard).

Else it may end like our last time...

Worldi has performed a Ready Check
Everyone is Ready
** Void Reaver Engaged **
Worldi has died.

-____-

Tbh, i prefer JoW on him instead of JotC, it makes me regain some mana and chunk less mana pots when i'm not being hit,
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Suwtoo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:32 pm

I had the same problem the other day when tanking him, warrior tanks were at full health and he just kept hitting me. 10 seconds with no heals and then i die :( but we did kill him on the next attempt, it was pretty close lol a pally healer hit bubble, swapped his 2h weapon in and started pounding, it was only him and a shaman that ankh'd to take him down :lol:
Suwtoo

Re: Re; Void Reaver

Postby Teah » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:15 am

Aular wrote:What spell damage, gear, and defensive stats do you run the fight with?

I don't think my gear is bad. (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... nd&n=Aular) is my profile. I can't seem to locate yours, so I can't compare.

I have a rough time in the fight. We usually run it with a Warrior, Druid and me. If I start the fight, I can hold it until the first knockback, then it'll usually switch to the Druid. After she's knocked back once or twice, it will then pivot between the warrior and druid, and nothing I do can pull it back to me. My rotation is usually:

Pop Seal of Crusader
Pop Holy shield
Pop AW
Pull with Shield, judge Crusader and move into position.
Pop SoVengence

- Pop H-shield
- Consecrate
- Judge SoV (if more than 3 applications)
Loop these three
- AW when it's up. Go up to the first '-'

If I'm not being hit, I omit the holy shield and just do as much damage as I can. And After the first knockback, I don't get aggro back.

I run the fight in my normal tanking gear. You should be able to click on my sig for my armory but here it is anyway:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... has&n=Teah

Originally I had hard time getting him back but things you gotta remember. The other tanks are constantly getting knocked to. I usually run with a spell damage flask and oil so around 350 sd. After I lose him I judge crusader, stand in poundings and keep up my seal+jor+consecration. This puts me back up with the other tanks usually quite fast. One thing you should notice though. Even if his hit box is huge make sure your consecration is hitting him! I have made this mistake and lost hate forever cause of it. If you have AS you can use it during pounding and in your rotation when you don't have him. But I don't have AS, so I just keep up consecration 100%. I also don't holy shield until he is hitting me. He doesn't hit too hard so his crushes don't hit very hard (~1k more damage). So you can save mana on that.
Teah

Postby Afraithe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 am

If this is your guilds first couple of tries on VR, I would suggest you always keep JoL on Void Reaver, the melee take sooo much damage it really heals a ton. It will set your threat back quite a lot but the fight will be easier overall. Just convince them to let you go first, and build as much threat as you possibly can (blow everything u got) and try to keep him as long as possible, when u get a few knockbacks let the druid/warrior tanks take over. You might be able to get up again using Avengers Shield and 1-2 hunters misdirect.

We usually have a Resto shaman chain healing the melee group, he is always close to 25% healing done on the whole fight with any other healer far behind around 10-15%. He will need a shadow priest and shitload of pots though.
Afraithe

Postby PsiVen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:33 pm

JoL should be being kept up by someone else.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Afraithe » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, you don't want any other casters in melee range (other then aoe heals/chain heals) having them run in and JoL can be really bad if they get an orb at that moment, gameover for a lot of ppl.
Afraithe

Next

Return to Tempest Keep