Single Tank Void Reaver?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Agravaine » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 am

Down to 35% or below is pretty incredible. Your raid dps must be over the top.

Best I've ever managed is 60%, and I had some luck dodge/parry on knockbacks. Worst I've ever done was 85%.
Agravaine

Postby PsiVen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Almost accomplished the single-tank Void Reaver last night. Here's the WWS

I took 2 crushes due to Hammer of Wrath spam near the end (and 1 more due to prioritizing Consecration over HS), and the rest of the time weaved in Avenger's Shield during Poundings. VR went to Cypher at around 46% and came back about 20 seconds later with another knockback.

Code: Select all
Ability                                Damage  Threat  %Threat
Consecration (247 hits)                 37369   71001   33.02%
Judgement of Righteousness (30 hits)    25881   49173   22.87%
Seal of Righteousness (164 hits)        25098   47686   22.18%
Holy Shield (61 hits)                   15251   39119   18.19%
Melee (189 hits)                        20394   20394    9.48%
Avenger's Shield (8 hits)                6119   11626    5.41%
Hammer of Wrath (5 hits)                 5522   10492    4.88%
Greater Blessing of Sanctuary (66 hits)  3476    6604    3.07%
Retribution Aura (73 hits)               3216    6610    3.07%

As a sidenote, some guilds actually do single-tank Void Reaver by using an Intervene rotation on the MT every time Knock Away is up. I didn't have anyone intervening me though.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Agravaine » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 am

My question is really why one would bother. Tanking lootreaver isn't an issue at all, it's really a question of beating the enrage timer.

If you can kill him in 7 minutes, well kudos that's insane, and I would suspect that I could tank about 80% of the time in a 7 minute kill (I always tank first for obvious reasons).

My raid of mere mortals is doing good to kill him 30 seconds ahead of schedule, and a couple times he didn't die until after enrage timer.
Agravaine

Postby Lore » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

Agravaine wrote:My question is really why one would bother.

For the hell of it?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby neokai » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Lore wrote:
Agravaine wrote:My question is really why one would bother.

For the hell of it?

Amen; also the faster that farmed content is down, the more time you have to spend on the "fun parts", and having 1 tank on VR almost all the way means that dps is given free rein to dps.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Darus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 am

Thank you =) after reading this thread i decided to try it, usually the mt goes ahead and pulls but now i did.

I stacked a flask of supreme/wizard oil/+dmg food, spriest and wrath of air totem (about 700+dmg excluding the JotC). No matter how many knockbacks he didnt drop off me, the other tanks didnt come close to getting him on them, most fun ive had in a while. <3

So yes it is possible to tank him the entire fight =) even if ktm is pushing you down the bottom with -tps. The math saying its not possible fails.
Darus

Postby Afraithe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:13 am

It is tough to balance spelldamage to this fight, ive ended up dying a few times now while trying to maximize my threat (we never did not down him cause a tank went down tho).

Another problem is the moving around, if you keep threat after a knockback, he might move off towards you, his hit area is so large is hard to move him back.
Afraithe

Postby agnara » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:04 pm

Lore wrote:With a 25% aggro reduction on knockbacks, so long as everyone in the raid stays under 75% of your threat, you will never lose aggro.

Total TPS from start to finish of the fight doesn't much matter - it's TPS inbetween knockbacks. You don't stop generating threat, and you don't generate LESS threat after every knockback; you'll have the same threat output from start to finish.

So it's certainly possible, but probably not advisable without hitting the enrage timer.

This is just wrong, knockback removes 25% of your TOTAL threat. You WILL reach a point where you can't generate more threat than what you loose.

From the math I have done I think that point is 4 times your threat per 30 seconds, assuming you do not avoid the knockback somehow.

Assuming 800 tps this point will be 96 000 tp and the after the 5th knockback the tank should already be close to the the threat cap. all those who can needs to whipe their threat now (or later if they are far behind the tank), rogues can vanish, mages go invisible, hunters feign death and so on.

the threat caps would be different for most of the classes as not all have a threat whipe and their abilities would have different CDs, but the total threat that should be usable is around 2,5 times the tank's threat limit (assuming a class with a threat whipe) as the CD will finish more than one time in a 10 min bossfight.

I took a random wws report i found, and looked at the total dmg the top dps did.
the top dps is a rogue who did 360 000 dmg.
rogues got a 0.8 threat multiplier to their attacks, so that dmg translates to 290 000 threat. With the effective threat sealing around 250 000 tp (2.5 times the tank's max threat).

If the rogue doesn't pay attention he will pull aggro at some time. but if he do pay attention he could start feinting.

Having shamans put down Tranquil Air Totems would make this easier.

this fight isn't about the tank doing a lot of threat, it's about keeping it as hight as possible when the dps is hitting the tank's threat cap.

If this doesn't make any sence just tell me.

^^first post
Last edited by agnara on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
agnara

Location: Somewhere, thinking about something, most likely off-topic.

Postby Jarkeld » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:44 pm

agnara, do you not give your rogues salv? O.o
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Postby agnara » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:58 am

I'm not 70 yet, as you can see in my sig. So i realy don't know, my tank is still lvling so I haven't yet tried to test to tank with realy hight dps. but if i knew that they would be close to the limit ofc I would give them salv.
agnara

Location: Somewhere, thinking about something, most likely off-topic.

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:06 pm

Solo tanking loot reaver is the new minigame. What else is there to do?

I picked up the Tome trinket from Al'ar the other night, and used it on VR; lost him twice for a single knockback rotation at 22% and 8%, I think. I would have had him the entire fight, but we lost a bunch of melee DPS when someone did something really stupid and it took us a little over 8 minutes to kill him; we usually kill him in a little over 5 (our top four dps routinely do over 1k dps; one rogue hits 1600 on Tidewalker if he doesn't get graves).

Me and a bear have been duotanking him for the last month or so. I've got a specialized ItemRack suit specifically for VR that stacks spell damage and avoidance -- the Ring of Sundered Souls is a huge upgrade. I picked up the Wrynn pants last night (again, having sharded mine in an orgy of re-gearing when 2.3 launched), and am toying with the idea of putting three 8 dodge gems in it and the epic leg armor kit, just for shits and giggles.

I'm comedy lobbying for a ret paladin for sanc aura for this fight (we don't have one in our 25 man makeups), along with an elem sham for Totem of Wrath, along with a shadow priest. And a pony.

Does it matter?

Of course not.

But it's fun.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:13 pm

Mmm me and our war MT menaged to 2men tank it, basically both riding at 1600+ TPS with full threat set on.
Just we got quite unlucky and didnt avoid any of the knockbacks, so the enh shaman was sacrificed at 2% to allow the kill :D
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:21 am

I recall running heavy avoidance gear on him one night because I forgot to swap armor around, and as a result knockbacks only landed at 80% and 15%. One isn't enough to drop him off me usually, and by the time he got the second one in there was a huge threat lead. If you can run ~70% avoidance, solo tanking him is very doable, but it's all at the whim of the dice.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby PapaNasty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Just did him for the first time with my new guild last night, and got our first down of him :)

hehe warriors were asking me at the start if I'd have any problems getting aggro on him since I'm a Paladin. Just started off with seal of vengeance and let the warriors take the first couple of knockbacks til I had 5x stacks, then powered up my threat with avenging wrath and took aggro back.

From there kept threat from around 90% through to around 40% where he managed to kill me, and then warriors took him thru to completion. Solotanking is definitely possible, I was finding that rather than my aggro being decreased as the fight wore on, my aggro lead was instead increasing.

I do have points in pursuit of justice, so it could perhaps be that my running back into melee range very quickly (Or perhaps even that I never truely leave melee range since VR is a large target, so perhaps even the distance I get knocked back to is technically within melee range)

But then this could also be because the warriors (Had 2x warrior tanks aswell as 1x pallytank myself)simply weren't able to generate enough rage to build large amounts of threat, I'm not sure. Some of our dps did feel that they were threat capped for this fight since they were having to stay under the warriors threat.

Either way, finished around 1min ahead of the enrage timers, and I'd be interested to see this tried with just 1x Paladin tank, or 2x Paladin tanks, which would open up the opportunity for more dps than usually used in this fight so that even if you have nub dps they still finish well ahead of the enrage timers
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Postby Caelia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:56 pm

I held VR for 97% today, it took a few crushing. because i was like 0.08 crushing or something. i decided to go with that but it worked fine.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep