Remove Advertisements

The Eye - Kael'Thas Sunstrider

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

The Eye - Kael'Thas Sunstrider

Postby Lore » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 am

Kael is a ridiculously long and complicated encounter, with the only really difficult part being Phase 4. I don't have the will or attention span to go through the whole thing, so instead I'll direct you to the Bosskillers strat: link

As far as what a tankadin in particular needs to know, here's a quick rundown.

Phase 1
No part of this phase is a DPS race. It's best to take things slow and do it right, instead of risking having to use battle rez/soulstones early.

Thaladred: Kite him like anyone else. I generally try to keep Wisdom up on him, but he has a short range AOE silence so it's tricky. Make sure to run away before his gaze switches (in kind of a jousty manner)

Sanguinar: He fears, so unless you've got Fear Ward handy, you'll probably want to leave this one to the Warriors. His fear can come a little faster than 30 seconds also, so you'll want more than 1 fear ward or at least a Warrior keeping up on threat as a secondary fear break. Again, there's no need to go balls-out DPS on him, so just have everyone take it easy.

Capernian: Let the Warlock tanking pick her up and stay the hell away. Go make a sandwich or something, there's really nothing for you to do here.

Telonicus: Tank and spank, if you're tanking him just build threat and don't die. If you get toyed you can try and DS out of it if you're quick. Boss mods won't say anything if you get toyed (although they'll happily announce when your DPS warriors do), so make sure your raid knows.

Phase 2
Weapons come out, you'll want a macro to /tar whatever weapon(s) you're tanking so you can pick them up in a hurry. Otherwise you're a pretty standard tank here. Note: DS doesn't appear to drop aggro on the weapons, so you can actually use it while tanking, so long as you can afford the Holy Shield threat loss.

Phase 3
Depends on what your guild has you doing at this point. If you're tanking one of the weapons that doesn't get killed in phase 2, continue doing so. If you need to pick up Telonicus or Sanguinar, pick them up quickly and get into position. If you're not doing either, pick up weapons and shuttle them around to people who need them and weren't able to pick up their own. If you've got nothing better to do, equip a mace and start tossing Flash of Lights out on the raid to give them the -50% fire/shadow damage buff.

Phase 4
Nearly everything should be dead by the time Kael comes out, so pick him up and make sure you've got a shield if you're tanking him. If you're tanking phoenixes, toss the mace buff on yourself if necessary and pick them up. Otherwise just keep on keepin' on.

Phase 5
Avoid chains, don't die, enjoy Hyjal. That's pretty much it. If you're not tanking, help heal. If you are, continue tanking. If you're in good shape going into phase 5 it's a kill.
Last edited by Lore on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Daeren » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:02 am

Looking forward to it.

But what items do you equip yourself with?
Daeren

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:16 am

Rundown of the weapons:

Staff of Disintegration: I believe this thing just spams fireballs most of the time, and will AE if you clump up on it. Spawns far left.

Cosmic Infuser: Doesn't hit hard at all, and spends most of its time trying to cast. If possible try to pick one up before the corpse despawns, so that you can buff people with it when not tanking. Spawns left.

Warp Slicer: Hits hard, and applies a nasty rend debuff. Favor stamina/avoidance and being a dwarf. Spawns front-left.

Devastation: Big 2h axe, will whirlwind and can follow you during it if you move. If you're tanking this favor stam/avoidance and tank it away from anyone else. Spawns front and center.

Infinity Blades: Dual wield daggers, these hit pretty hard and quite fast. If you're tanking these you should favor block value. Spawns front-right.

Phaseshift Bulwark: The shield, does about as much damage per hit as the dagger but doesn't have dual wield (so it's much less dangerous) hurts a lot if you actually swing at it. Autoattack something else if you're tanking this. Melee DPS can safely kill it from behind. You don't really need one if it would help more to get this to your Kael tank, but it might help. Spawns front-right.

Netherstrand Longbow: You shouldn't be tanking this, and neither should any of the melee ever hit it as it will blink immediately. Spawns far right.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Daeren » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Was thinking more of the usage of the weapons.
Daeren

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:50 am

While tanking, none. None of the weapons give any particular benefit to a Paladin tank. I might throw on a mace to toss out FoL's for the shadow/fire buff, but that's about it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Atreidies » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Daeren wrote:Was thinking more of the usage of the weapons.

Just grab a Bulwark and keep on keepin' on... Oh! And make sure you make good use of that 100k damage aborb every time it's up :)

Also, a note about the Bow, it will not blink away from you when it's in melee range unless you actually melee it, your consecrate/AS don't affect it so don't be to worried if it blinks next to you.
Atreidies

Postby Lore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 am

So, funny story about Kael attempts last night. We were on a beautiful attempt (pretty much a guaranteed kill, 3 dead with 2 battle rezzes up going into phase 5, all adds and weapons dead), and Kael bugged halfway through his phase 4->5 transition cutscene. He just kept channeling his giant purple ball of doom, stayed unattackable, didn't attack, and floated around the room following our MT. I'll copy what one of our other raiders (an enhancement shaman) wrote up on Eredar realm forums:

Sollertree wrote:So after about an hour and a half of GMs telling us 'LOL NOTHING WE CAN DO, SRY U GUYZ SOFT RESET', we finally got a few GMs who knew what they were doing. One spawned in our instance, he had a beast offhand equiped along with his GM robes sandles and belt of mighty strength or something.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/1.jpg

----

He reset the encounter... with us standing on top of the respawn point. "oh no guyz, run away!!!!". We put out rebuffs, soulstones, coordinated kiting, handled it. He stayed long enough to watch trash respawns aggro the raid.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/2.jpg

----

We handled adds, killed the adds while kiting Thally. No deaths, was flawless. We dropped a bot in the middle of the fight and repaired (We were losing durability for about 1h 30 minutes of combat time, It blew).

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/3.jpg

----

We handled it from there on out like normal. Tank this, kill that. Etc.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/4.jpg

----

Phase 1 ended, We realized we needed healthstones. Put out a dozen or so and gathered up for phase 2+

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/6.jpg

----

Progressed to phase 3, had 48 seconds up next to Kael.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/Sollertree/5.jpg

I didn't screenshot from there on, was too busy. We lost our MT at the very end of phase 4, but still got him to phase 5 and lasted long enough to have a good portion of the raid blasted into the air. Was really fun, regardless of the wipe.

A second senior GM, possibly the greatest GM ever, was talking to us after the the fight completed. He said the way we handled adds, got buffs out, and executed the phase flawlessly was one of the most amazing things he's ever seen and from what he saw, we probably would have killed Kael if he did not bug (he also mentioned he recorded it to show to other GMs, lolz). He informed us that the way the senior GM handled the situation was wrong and will most likely be removed from his position, along with all the other GMs who told us they could not do anything for us. Also, he mentioned to keep an eye on our mail box for the vials we'd have looted if Kael did not bug, no promises though. We'll be posting a kill thread when we do infact kill Kael, because he actually told us he'd be checking for one. Moral of the story is if your encounter bugs out, keep trying to find a good GM.

Basically we were 5% away from the most epic Kael'Thas first kill in the history of the world. Even though it wasn't a kill, it ended the night on a positive note, which was all any of us were hoping for at that point.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:46 am

BTW - yeah, as Atreides mentioned, make sure to equip a Bulwark. I kinda forgot about it >.> it's a huge help though.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Baelor » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:13 am

Boo to encounters bugging out. Grats on an awesome attempt!
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:16 am

Yeah it bugged on us again last night =\ POS encounter.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:35 pm

We've had a couple attempts ruined by Thaladred punting people onto walls and evading to full health.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Yeah it seems to still be a very buggy encounter.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Chorus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 pm

This is the fight my guild is working on currently (working on mastering Phase 3). It is very possible for a Prot Paladin to AoE Tank most of the weapons per the strat described below:

Devastation - This is tanked seperately due to the whirlwind.

Staff of Disintegration - We assign a Feral Druid to tank this as it is burned down quickly and gives me time to build aggro on the other weapons for vicious AoEing.

Netherstrand Longbow - We have a Hunter tank this doing his best to face it away from the raid.

The rest of the weapons are yours to tank.

Cosmic Infuser - Should be your primary focus since a Rogue will likely be assigned to interrupt its healing.

Warp Slicer - This is the most dangerous weapon on you due to the potential of a high stacking rend dot. Save your stun for this weapon if interrupts on the Mace are sound. Let your healers know if you are approach 5+ stacks.

Phaseshift Bulwark - This is the best weapon for you to tank along with something else due to the ability to build aggro on it without attacking directly (and thus causing hefty thorn damage).

Infinity Daggers - Nothing special.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... w&n=Chorus
Chorus <Dissension>, 80 Paladin of Bleeding Hollow
Chorus

Postby Cakes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:06 am

We had our first look at this guy tonight, and the fight looks like it's going to be fantastic (minus the goofy trash to get to him). I think we'll end up going with an AOE strat for phase 2, but I'm wondering if the people that have done this fight have recommendations for weapon burn down order.

My plan for kill orders was to have the staff be the first kill target for melee, while the first kill target for ranged be the bow. After the staff gets nuked, melee focus on the mace, while every class that can aoes the shield, sword, dagger, and mace. I'm planning to have the axe and shield still up (although low on health) when the advisors pop.

Any suggestions?
Cakes

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 am

That's more or less what we do. Ranged nukes down the bow and then AOE's. Melee are spread out for interrupt purposes (you'll probably want 2 people each on the staff and mace).
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to Tempest Keep