Void Reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Luftblase » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 am

So to tank VR, spell damage gear is needed. What is the recommened amount of +dmg? Do we still need to be uncrushable with the spell damage?
Blessing of Sanctuary is what I cast on Rogues when they whine too often about getting Might.
... if I gave them Salvation I wouldn't get to laugh when they die.
... if I give them Wisdom it reminds the Mages that I could be giving it to them, too.
Luftblase

Postby Mortehl » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 am

Luftblase wrote:So to tank VR, spell damage gear is needed. What is the recommened amount of +dmg? Do we still need to be uncrushable with the spell damage?

Remain uncrit/crushable, but favor spell damage over stamina and avoidance. The guy can still crush and crit.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:05 am

We went to do VR the other night and I'm wondering about two things
1) # of tanks you guys are using
2) spell damage you are going with

We had 3 tanks. I started the rotation, with a warrior and druid as the other two. Hunters were MDing to the lowest tank whenever it was up.

I was sporting about 350 base spell damage. I popped the +70 spell damage flask, +23 food, and +42 from the wizard oil. So I was just shy of 500. I also equiped the ZG hero charm for the added +204 spell damage (decreased by 17 every cast). Yes I know it's an old items but I was a few badges shy of the spell damage trinket from heroics.

Anyway, I went in pretty suped up. I started with AW + AS to start. Popped my ZG trinket, concecrate and then judge crusader and started my rotation of SoR/JoR, HS, and concecrate. After about a minute i swapped to SoV and kept that stacking to 5.

Me and the warrior started swapping aggro at about the 3 minute mark and we kept doing that till about the 5-min mark. At which piont the druid came into play. The whole time I'm still doing my rotations pumping out what I can and drinking mana pots when needed so that wasn't an issue.

When we got to about the 8 minute mark we started to loose aggro to some of the locks (shadow priest was in effect so locks were going crazy).

We talked to the locks about possibly doing soul shatter at a different interval like the 2 or 3 minute mark and again at the 7 or 8 minute so maybe that would help. But I'm wondering if I need to be doing something different regarding threat generation, or is it as simple as just getting a 4th tank in there? People are talking about holding VR longer than I seem to be able to and I'm wondering what I should change. Thanks
YoYoMa

Postby neokai » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 pm

YoYoMa wrote:We went to do VR the other night and I'm wondering about two things
1) # of tanks you guys are using
2) spell damage you are going with

We had 3 tanks. I started the rotation, with a warrior and druid as the other two. Hunters were MDing to the lowest tank whenever it was up.

I was sporting about 350 base spell damage. I popped the +70 spell damage flask, +23 food, and +42 from the wizard oil. So I was just shy of 500. I also equiped the ZG hero charm for the added +204 spell damage (decreased by 17 every cast). Yes I know it's an old items but I was a few badges shy of the spell damage trinket from heroics.

Typical raids go with 3-4 tanks for TK. The 4th is a backup in case u lose 1 of the original 3 to unlucky occurrences (like alar's feathers hitting a tank as he runs up the ramp, VR raping a tank at the wrong time etc).

YoYoMa wrote:When we got to about the 8 minute mark we started to loose aggro to some of the locks (shadow priest was in effect so locks were going crazy).

We talked to the locks about possibly doing soul shatter at a different interval like the 2 or 3 minute mark and again at the 7 or 8 minute so maybe that would help. But I'm wondering if I need to be doing something different regarding threat generation, or is it as simple as just getting a 4th tank in there? People are talking about holding VR longer than I seem to be able to and I'm wondering what I should change. Thanks

You have quite a lot more spell damage than me, so i assume u are doing abt 700-800tps on average. Locks might need to either burn their soul shatter early so that the cooldown will pop up again within the fight or have to hold back a bit. Having a shaman put str of earth/Windfury totems for warrior tanks, str of earth/GoA for druids and str of earth/Wrath of air for you helps raise the aggro cap. Have the hunters set up a MD rotation on the tank lowest on threat to help bump him up on the meter too.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Zonzede » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:36 pm

Phaex wrote: Pop wings when vengeance is fully up

Wrong. Vengeance ticks at the rate the first application was applied at. As long as you maintain that same stack, vengeance will tick as if you were still buffed.
Pop Wings, pop a trinket f you're weaing it, then apply vengeance. WHen I tank VR, I tick at 417 while not having crusader judged. Our melee dps is a big fan of Light.

Though I just had the thought. Judge crusader, trinket, Wings, Stack vengeance, then put up light.

>.>
Zonzede

Postby Eloff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:05 am

You forgot to add in Power Infusion. Tell a priest to cast it and pop a pot right at the start...
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:11 am

If people use the 4th tank as a backup in case one goes down that is good news. We aren't having any issue with loosing a tank, the healers are doing a bang up job there so hopefully we can stick with 3.

Good suggestion for the shammy, we didn't have him in the MT group last time. Problem with the MT group is we have 3 tanks, the lock and a resto druid for the healing buff. Maybe we'll just swap out the druid for the shammy.

Power infusion is another great idea. Could time that with a destruction potion or something, TPS would go through the roof.

** edit ** just spoke to our main prist, I guess none of the priest have PI, since none have gone down the disc. tree. Oh well, I can still pop destruction pots.

Thanks for all the ideas, very helpful!
YoYoMa

Previous

Return to Tempest Keep