Hydross Adds

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby elson » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 am

Ty for the gearlist Djsticky. Checked the armory and you weren't in resist gear so curious as to what your boots are.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby DJSticky » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 am

elson wrote:Ty for the gearlist Djsticky. Checked the armory and you weren't in resist gear so curious as to what your boots are.

I lied >< I got tired and went to sleep forgetting to swap out =(

The boots I use are 32 stam 21 NR

I'm also in the frost tank's group so I use frost aura. Sits me at 202Fr/198NR
DJSticky

Postby Drfeelgood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:17 am

I just want to add anecdotally that I tanked one add last night as 41/20 holy/prot with zero unbuffed resists. I have around 12k health in my regular tanking gear. This is a farm fight for our guild which could be part of it but I would JoR on one mob, hammer another and pull them together. Then consecrate, maybe holy shock for a bit more threat, drag them both on top of hydross, let them get aoe'd. Usually one of our rogues would stun one of them. We wiped a few times b/c our main tank quit and we had a new MT but we got it after a wipe or two.

They do mad spike damage but if your healer is paying attention, it's not a problem. I totally forgot they could be HoJ'd until the third attempt (:O I usually healbot this fight!) so take that as you will.
Drfeelgood

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 am

So I was scanning through my Eavesdrop history the other day and I noticed something odd. For those that don't know, Eavesdrop is an addon that gives you a little filtered graphical display of your combat log, it's great for looking to see why you died :). It also tracks your records, like the biggest hit you've taken, biggest heal landed on you, and the highest amount of dmg you've done for any of your attacks.

Anyhow, my Eavesdrop showed that my highest dmg done by Blessing of Sanctuary was 50 damage on a Tainted Spawn of Hydross. My understanding was that they can not be blocked, and in fact I have accidentally popped Holy Shield out of habbit a couple of times while I tanked them and did not notice any blocks. Any ideas how that happened? Do they somehow mix in rare regular melee attacks?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Silandra » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:00 pm

Hey, I'm having trouble picking the lot of them up. I can get 2 just fine, but when I try to get the four of them, it's like I can't do anything at all... any advice?
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Postby Daromire » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:32 pm

I probably wouldn't try to tank all 4, it takes very good gear to do it, just have 2 tanks, 2 adds each.
Daromire
Maintankadonor

Postby Cragus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:34 am

What we have found is that for the adds if you don't have much res gear and swapping it in to nerf avoidance is worse than just wearing regular tank gear.

So its either a high res or none at all kind of thing. I believe its down to the resist x amount = avoiding 1 extra hit kind of thing, so incoming dps on you is very similar.

The 2x2 strat works good so does 2x2 and 1x1 1x1, just depends on who we have about, then its just count to 5 and AOE.
Cragus

Postby Teah » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:47 am

PsiVen wrote:Yes, they can crit. You don't really need to be uncrittable to tank the adds though, especially if you have lots of resists. I'd imagine the best choice for an aoe strategy would be to have a paladin wearing a ton of spell damage gear and 4 people making sure the adds got to him to pick up.

Kind of curious what would everyone recommend to gear for if I'm going to try to tank all 4? Currently.. I'm the main off-tank with two warriors co-maintanking and a druid off-tank that isn't too reliable.

So time to bite the bullet to tank all 4... The idea is to just gather them up all on Hydross and AoE them down after about 10 seconds of me gathering hate. We believe we have the AoE power to do this because we run with 4 warlocks and 4 mages usually.
Teah

Postby Argus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:58 am

My guild's tanks are gearing up for Hydross. I'm currently aiming at 120 FR/NR, is it enough? Im going to tank 2 adds by the way.
Argus

Postby Cragus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 am

Argus wrote:My guild's tanks are gearing up for Hydross. I'm currently aiming at 120 FR/NR, is it enough? Im going to tank 2 adds by the way.

I wrote above that it seems with that resistance level it realy isnt worth it especially if your dropping core tanking stats. You should be able to do it with just an aura, unless you want to get high resistance, but that would require more effort, short term its not important.

With AOE approach you only have to have about 10-20secs of total combat with them, all at low marks.
Cragus

Postby Stings » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:14 am

I tank in 220/227 resist gear, no where near uncrittable since most gear is resist without defense.
We have a druid tank pickup the first add meanwhile i pickup the 3 others by dropping a consecration where the first spawn, judge the 2nd and taunt the third. Drag them into consecration and then the druid just taunt and hold the 1 being dmg'ed. (locks throw in a few seeds i think, not that they have been asked to, but dmg is dmg ;). )
Stings

Postby Daeren » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:09 am

I tank in (buffed) 370 frost/ 210 nature res gear.
Daeren

Postby Derbish » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:51 am

We got our first kill on Hydross last night.

I tanked 2 adds and a druid tanked the other two. Right after my second consecrate, we called aoe dps and burned all four down at once.

Unbuffed, I'm running
Nature: 177
Frost: 182
Defense: 430
Resilience: 77 (with an ironskin pot)
Base Health: 11.5k

One more point of resilience would put me at uncritable by the adds, with only 430 defense, but I'm really close. A lot of people overlook resilience, but it's an easy way to mitigate the crits on a resist fight.

Gear:
Iceguard Helm, +20 nature resist enchant
Frozen Eye Ring
Iceguard Legggins, +8 nature resist enchant
Wildguard Breastplate: +8 nature resist enchant
Green boots w/26 nature resist: +8 nature resist enchant
Mystic Sheen Cloak, +15 nature resist enchant
Timelapse Shard: 24 resilience
Thick Felsteel Necklace: 23 resilience
Elixir of Ironskin: 30 resilience

[edit] Just to add to this, the way I pick up my two is to Judge rightousness on the first add, then stun the second and consecrate on top of it, before backing them up to Hydross.
Derbish

Postby Eloff » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:30 am

Since we're taking spelldamage, is armor value useless? Does it matter if I'm wearing cloth or plate resist gear?
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Jarkeld » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 am

Armour means nothing on hydross, cloth is just as good as plate.
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern