Hydross Adds

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Kvaern » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:59 am

Buttertoast wrote:
Kvaern wrote:but what are they critting you with?

Surely not elemental damage.
it's elemental, and crits for 200%. i think you might be confusing melee attack mechanics with spell mechanics, since we normally only see elemental damage from magic, which as we know cannot crit.
these guys' attacks work exactly like regular physical hits, except that they bypass armor/block and are mitigated by resistance instead.

Yes I am confusing it, nature/frost damage that can't be blocked and ignores armor.

Sound exactly like a spell to me. ;p
Kvaern

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 pm

I've tried two gear set ups. One where I wore as much resistance gear as possible. This was 2 epic NR, 1 epic FrR, both rings and a bunch of green 'of X protection' gear - does not meet the defense cap. The second set is where I wear only the epic gear (and the frost pendant) and only get to about 250 NR/FrR - does meet the defense cap. I've had much more success with the second set of gear than the first set. I feel that I take more damage and have a harder time getting aggro using the first set rather than the epic set plus my normal spell damage/tanking gear.
Arianne

Postby Baelor » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 am

Arianne wrote:I've tried two gear set ups. One where I wore as much resistance gear as possible. This was 2 epic NR, 1 epic FrR, both rings and a bunch of green 'of X protection' gear - does not meet the defense cap. The second set is where I wear only the epic gear (and the frost pendant) and only get to about 250 NR/FrR - does meet the defense cap. I've had much more success with the second set of gear than the first set. I feel that I take more damage and have a harder time getting aggro using the first set rather than the epic set plus my normal spell damage/tanking gear.

Okay, so I'm prepping for off-tanking Hydross adds. If I have the Pendant of Thawing, both epic resist rings, Iceguard Helm w/ 20 FrR enchant, Wildguard Breastplate and Leggings crafted, that'll be 135 FrR, 155 NR. Add in Syrannis' Mystic Sheen with a 5 resist all enchant for another 17 resist all, bringing it to 152 FrR, 172 NR. If I have the hunter aspect and FrR aura up, and use perhaps 2 leatherworking armor kits for the Wildguard pieces to up both resistances another 8, or one of them another 16, will that be enough resistance? Or should I look for more?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Kvaern » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 am

If the 238 resist mark is correct you should be aiming for 168+ each unbuffed.
Kvaern

Postby Baelor » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:36 am

Kvaern wrote:If the 238 resist mark is correct you should be aiming for 168+ each unbuffed.

2 FrR Leatherworking kits on the Wildguard would bring the count to 168 FrR, 172 NR. Add in auras and that's 238/242, plus consumables. Sounds good to me.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby elson » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Trying this for our first time later today (it's 2 am and i dont sleep well sometimes). I have 143/165 frost/nature resist unbuffed and 10.9k health. I am at 470 defense so I am hoping that the adds are level 70 or I don't believe I am crit immune.

My concern obviously is my lack of health. I could add another 8 frost resist to my legs and loose 30 stam or to my gloves and loose 8 stam, but I really feel my health is low to begin with. The time wardens leggings. engineering helm, and nightbanes' chestpiece were really the key pieces in getting me to 13.k+ unbuffed in normal tank gear. Replacing these with the crafted resist gear hurts... it hurts bad. I don't even want to mention what it does to my dodge, parry etc.

For tankadins who have offtanked this fight before and have taken the crit immune approach. How much health would you say is mininum to do this encounter with as an offtank.

As a note I can gain 550 or so health and go down to 451 defense.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby elson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:52 am

changed my gear setup and am now at 480+ def 10.5k health and the same resists. Hoping this is going to be enough :/

elson

Postby Cakes » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:44 pm

elson wrote:Trying this for our first time later today (it's 2 am and i dont sleep well sometimes). I have 143/165 frost/nature resist unbuffed and 10.9k health. I am at 470 defense so I am hoping that the adds are level 70 or I don't believe I am crit immune.

My concern obviously is my lack of health. I could add another 8 frost resist to my legs and loose 30 stam or to my gloves and loose 8 stam, but I really feel my health is low to begin with. The time wardens leggings. engineering helm, and nightbanes' chestpiece were really the key pieces in getting me to 13.k+ unbuffed in normal tank gear. Replacing these with the crafted resist gear hurts... it hurts bad. I don't even want to mention what it does to my dodge, parry etc.

For tankadins who have offtanked this fight before and have taken the crit immune approach. How much health would you say is mininum to do this encounter with as an offtank.

As a note I can gain 550 or so health and go down to 451 defense.

Shoot me a tell in-game and we can discuss this some more. Essentially, if you're low on health already, 550 health is piddly compared to an 8k crit. Stay where you're at on defense and just work on gear as possible. As you get more and more resist gear, you can afford to go down on defense, but where you're at right now, defense is pretty key.
Cakes

Postby DJSticky » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:02 pm

elson wrote:changed my gear setup and am now at 480+ def 10.5k health and the same resists. Hoping this is going to be enough :/

Just be carefull not to get to many on you. Easier said then done.

I do it with way way less defense (~40 less) and only see a crit once or twice per fight.
DJSticky

Postby Lowgrus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:55 pm

so its confirmed that these mobs can crit?
Lowgrus

Postby Saraphina » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:09 pm

They can definitely crit and it can hurt. I tend to just run with 200/200 unbuffed and still critable though and we don't have any real problems doing him. Then again I only tank 1 add.
Saraphina

Postby DJSticky » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:23 pm

Lowgrus wrote:so its confirmed that these mobs can crit?

confirmed, altho not very often even with only 440 defense.
DJSticky

Postby elson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:52 pm

So we had our first night, and on our one real attempt ( we had people running in to early, dying to elevators etc) we got him down to about 55% before our other offtank disconnected mid fight leaving me tanking 4 adds...

Also our other offtank was having issues with knowing where the adds would spawn and I by nature am an aggro whore so when I saw one get loose it was Righteous defense and then dead elson. I am thinking the hardest part of this fight is going to be controlling my reflexes. So long as I tank two everything is dandy :)

I found that with the setup I have I could tank two without issue and even three if I had to. Tanking four however destroyed me so fast I didn't even know I was getting hit untill I was dead. Without a couple of different kara drops I am at a loss as to how to improve my health without going below the crit immune mark. Are any tankadins able to get 16k or so buffed in resist gear and crit immune or close? If so please link gear :)

elson

Postby elson » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:59 pm

Cakes wrote:Shoot me a tell in-game and we can discuss this some more. Essentially, if you're low on health already, 550 health is piddly compared to an 8k crit. Stay where you're at on defense and just work on gear as possible. As you get more and more resist gear, you can afford to go down on defense, but where you're at right now, defense is pretty key.

Am very much thinking of going the high resist, low def route after tonight. 10.4k health unbuffed pissed me off even while uncrittable :(. A lot of those level 70 resist greens have decent stamina on them, so really thinking this is the way to go.

elson

Postby DJSticky » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 pm

elson wrote:Are any tankadins able to get 16k or so buffed in resist gear and crit immune or close? If so please link gear :)

I have 16.8k in my hydross gear fully buffed and shouted.

I"m farming now but I'll log out in my resist gear. But for quick ref I use.

Wildguard Helm (FR Glyph) , Chest (150 hp)
Iceguard Legs (Clefthide ar)
Cloak from Bot (+15 NR)
Crafted resist rings NR and FrR
BoE NR Boots
Maiden Gloves
Moroes Belt
Spyglass of Hidden Fleet
Darkmoon Card
Vambraces from Attune
Spelldamage Shield from badges
Continuium blade.

I think tha'ts right, check my armory in an hour or so to be sure =)
DJSticky

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern