Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby adese » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 am

Demiblade wrote:Cloak
NR +12 Syrannis' Mystic Sheen
FR +12 Syrannis' Mystic Sheen
NR +05 Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance
FR +05 Enchant Cloak - Greater Resistance

There is a +7 to all resist to cloak, that will give you +2 more to both NR and FrR (every little bit helps). It does take 4 each of primal fire, air, earth, and water though.
adese

Postby Demiblade » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Now that I've completed crafting all the epic resist pieces, I'm sitting at about uncrittable (thanks to resilience items), 15k hp, 200 NR and 200 FrR each raid buffed. I'm currently assigned to grab 2 adds, while a druid picks up the other 2 and bring them to me for AoE. (We downed Morogrim first so my guild is a bunch of spoiled brats who wish to make me AoE tank anything AoE-able). My healers can heal me fine even if all 4 are on me. Survival is not a problem.

Is there a way I can pick up all 4 myself? I put down a consecrete on Add B the moment they spawn, and throw shield at Add A that's supposed to die first. Problem is, I still can't figure out how the hell I could pick up other 2 on opposite side myself.

Any tips?
Demiblade

Postby Kyroro » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 am

When I discovered that add tanking with 150/150 resist would make you crittable (without pouring serious money into enchants etc.) I just thought alright 490 defense tank taking 1-2k unresisted hits is going to be easier to heal than relying on partial resists and hoping that the add tank don't get crit.

I was pretty much right. We only had two tanks in max FrR and NR gear for tanking Hydross, the add tanks just used their normal tanking gear and had auras from shamans/hunters/pallies. It was not hard to heal at all, and I performed both roles (one of our add tanks had an emergency). I'm not really buying the whole argument where add tanks need to get resist gear. We assigned one healer to each add tank (we had 2) and I was able to keep that tank up easily. Even had time to throw the raid a few heals.

When I had to bust out my tanking gear to replace one of the add tanks, I just got in avoidance gear, 17.3k raid buffed w/ flask and again it wasn't hard to keep me alive. Each add tank is assigned to take two adds. I usually ended up taking 3 or even all 4 simply because of the threat from consecrate.

So if any of you are doing add tanking, and haven't had the guild funds spent into producing resist gear for you, there's honestly no need.
Kyroro

Postby Lazenby » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Ok

So my guild has killed morogrim and the lurker, crafted the sets for the MT's and myself and a drooid have the 150 nr/fr that most people are recommending. Tonight we finally went to have a go at Hydross but myself and the Drooid had quite alot of trouble gettin snap aggro on our adds. it seemed as soon as they spawned they would make b lines to the healers. Now im quite new to tanking having recently respecced for the murlocs on morogrim but i dont think im too shabby as ive tanked all heroics except old hillsbrad. I read that some guilds banish a couple or get their rogues to stun them i just wondered if you had any advice. Also is it safe to start concecrating when the MT's are transitioning ?

Basically im just having trouble picking my 2 up fast enough

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Lazenby
Lazenby

Postby daier » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:44 am

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm seeing this asked without a definitive answer. We can grab and hold 2 of the adds, 3 if we have to, but what about all 4? Wondering because my guild is thinking of using the only two Tankadins to hold the adds in each phase. If we can't do all 4, then I'm going to suggest that both of us Pally tanks go split resistance and hold 2 adds each transition for AOE to light them up and move on back to Hydross faster.
daier

Postby adese » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:49 am

daier wrote:Sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm seeing this asked without a definitive answer. We can grab and hold 2 of the adds, 3 if we have to, but what about all 4? Wondering because my guild is thinking of using the only two Tankadins to hold the adds in each phase. If we can't do all 4, then I'm going to suggest that both of us Pally tanks go split resistance and hold 2 adds each transition for AOE to light them up and move on back to Hydross faster.

I guess I'm not sure what you're planning on doing. If you're planning on having two tankadins pick up the adds each change, then you should be fine (that's how we generally do it). Have one of you on Hydross's left side, and the other on the right. Each is responsible for picking up the two adds on their side. I personally cast AS at the far add, and JoR the close one. Once they are on top of Hydross, we spam consecrate and let the AoE dps go crazy on them.

If you want 1 tank to pick up all 4 adds...not sure if that would work or not. I think that they initially spawn far enough apart that your consecrate won't reach all 4, so you'd probably need a Misdirect to pick them up. Even then, that could be dicey since Misdirect's cooldown is longer than the length of a phase, and you probably want hunters Misdirecting the current MT so that healers don't pull aggro from them.

I could maybe see the MT who is not tanking Hydross helping with adds, however they are going to take a lot of damage since their gear is set up for the opposite type of damage they are receiving.
adese

Postby Doriangray » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 am

Seems like a lot of you are stressing the point that getting uncrittable is important to add tanking, maybe even more than resist. Sadly, I read that pretty late, so now I'm at 150 resist for both and 11.6k health, all unbuffed. However, my defense sits at a measly 457.
Maybe it would help to enchant my Wildguard BP with 15 resilience? BP and pants are not enchanted yet. I think you only need 480 defense for the adds (aren't they 71)? So tankpoints tells my with the resil enchant and a +8 defense armor kit to the iceguard pants, I'd have a 0.37% chance to be crit. That doesn't sound too bad, I guess?
Doriangray

Postby adese » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:17 pm

Doriangray wrote:Seems like a lot of you are stressing the point that getting uncrittable is important to add tanking, maybe even more than resist. Sadly, I read that pretty late, so now I'm at 150 resist for both and 11.6k health, all unbuffed. However, my defense sits at a measly 457.
Maybe it would help to enchant my Wildguard BP with 15 resilience? BP and pants are not enchanted yet. I think you only need 480 defense for the adds (aren't they 71)? So tankpoints tells my with the resil enchant and a +8 defense armor kit to the iceguard pants, I'd have a 0.37% chance to be crit. That doesn't sound too bad, I guess?

I've seen it stated both ways, that it is more important to be uncrittable vs more resist gear. It's ok to be a little crittable, as long as your resist is high enough - the hits will be for smaller, so a crit doesn't do as much damage.

Basically, just do what you can to minimize the amount of damage you take. IMO, your defense is a bit low, but not the end of the world.
adese

Postby Gracerath » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:20 am

I run the fight with 200 nature / frost resist buffed. I use the new flask of chromatic wonder here and it rocks and the 18 to all stats is a decent buff for the two hours it lasts after you kill Hydross, assuming a one shot. Technically I'm crittable (450 or 460 defense) but I take very few crits and even when I do take one, its usually no more damage than a regular hit. I'd like to get some of the plate crafted eventually. My druid tank partner hits about 250 of each resist and takes significantly less damage than I do. But that could be that I generally hold 2-3 of the adds more often since we have 3 tanks picking up adds. The transitioning tank picks up one, I pick up one, the druid grabs one, and me and the druid fight for aggro on the 4th. Consecrate usually snakes aggro from at least one of them.

I picked up the +defense clicky trinket he drops and its wonderful for future Hydross kills. Its up almost every other transition and helps squeak out that extra bit of avoidance along with making you uncrittable for the duration.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Warrender » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:09 am

daier wrote:Sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm seeing this asked without a definitive answer. We can grab and hold 2 of the adds, 3 if we have to, but what about all 4? Wondering because my guild is thinking of using the only two Tankadins to hold the adds in each phase. If we can't do all 4, then I'm going to suggest that both of us Pally tanks go split resistance and hold 2 adds each transition for AOE to light them up and move on back to Hydross faster.

It's possible to hold all 4. Here's a movie with only 2 Tankadins downing Hydross.

http://www.eveofserenity.us/downloads/H ... mplete.wmv
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby daier » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 am

Awesome, that sums it for me. I was talking with my guild / raid leader about having the two palatanks grab two adds each phase, but turns out the idea was that we're going to have the paladin tank dedicated to each resistance, grab the two adds on their side ( probably drop an AOE, then judgement ), have a hunter bring one into the AOE / close enough to judge, and the fourth either be brought to us the same way, or have it taunted off someone. .. They are tauntable, right? :shock:

But, yeah, it looks like that's going to be our strat in this as far as add control goes. Haven't yet tried it because we just only downed Lurker, and now that we have, we've come a step closer to another SSC boss; just need a few more pieces of resist gear made for all the tanks and we'll be good to go.
daier

Postby Crusherus » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 am

The adds are tauntable. I grab 2 and have our other tanks pick up the other 2 so I can taunt or judge righteousness to get them all on me.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:46 pm

We're still a few bosses away from hydross, having just downed mags for the first time on monday (and second time on tuesday, woop!), but after VR, Solarian, and lurker, I'm looking towards tanking as many adds as possible.

Having not experienced the fight, I can only go by what people are saying... unfortunately there are 3 reasonable positions and it's hard to tell which one makes the most sense: stay uncrittable and get moderate FrR/NR, use regular tanking (high avoidance low blocking) gear that offers a lot of stam by default, or max out resist and forget uncrittability.

For that last one, what would people think of:
http://wowdigger.com/character/view/27203#o4 ?
(267 NR, 243 FrR, 10.7k hps , ~20% avoidance only, and 1.6% to be crit... all unbuffed)

With resilience there's only 1.6% to be crit left against a lv 71, which isn't horrible but isn't great.

I like my vengeance card, but if it would help healers and smooth things out more, I could even use a pvp trinket for more resilience. And in 2.3 I can get 12 resilience on the shield instead. Obviously I don't have all of those greens, but something close could probably be accomplished quickly because all 4 armor types are usable.

Does flask of chromatic resilience stack with auras? A wowhead comment says no, but that seems strange to me if it stacks with MotW. Alternately a Elixir of Ironskin would shore up basically all of the leftover crit chance.

-- Just put in my two BG veteran's epics for resilience, and they have good stam/int/spelldmg too. It drops my resists to ~230 unbuffed now, but I'll be uncrittable in 2.3 and keeps my stam in the 11k unbuffed range.
Last edited by Rasmfrackn on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Bosutei » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Demiblade wrote:Now that I've completed crafting all the epic resist pieces, I'm sitting at about uncrittable (thanks to resilience items), 15k hp, 200 NR and 200 FrR each raid buffed. I'm currently assigned to grab 2 adds, while a druid picks up the other 2 and bring them to me for AoE. (We downed Morogrim first so my guild is a bunch of spoiled brats who wish to make me AoE tank anything AoE-able). My healers can heal me fine even if all 4 are on me. Survival is not a problem.

Is there a way I can pick up all 4 myself? I put down a consecrete on Add B the moment they spawn, and throw shield at Add A that's supposed to die first. Problem is, I still can't figure out how the hell I could pick up other 2 on opposite side myself.

Any tips?

Misdirect or Righteous Defense.
Bosutei

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern