Remove Advertisements

Serpentshrine - Fathom Lord Karathress

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Serpentshrine - Fathom Lord Karathress

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:02 am

(edit)
Found out my guild leader had ninja changed my healers... giving me only one... and a druid at that. He wanted the other healer for the tank on the shaman. Got a second healer tonight. Went smoothly with me on the hunter.
(edit)

For those who've done this fight... do we have any usefulness other than in healing gear? From what I can tell I'm a liability on any of the adds:

Priest - needs the extra interrupt from shield bash

Shaman- hits too hard (if the tank can't spell reflect) and extra shield block charges don't make up for the lack of demo shout/thunderclap

Hunter- No problem tanking him and his pet.... except he seems to viper sting the tank a lot (if the tank has mana like I do :P) which ends up meaning no mana for holy shield
Last edited by DracAlexstrasza on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:32 am

Viper Sting is no problem because:

- You're going to be dumping close to OOM for threat and getting it back from taking damage anyway. Save a little for Holy Shield and odds are good that you'll regen enough to cast it again during those 10s (otherwise you aren't taking enough damage for it to matter!).

- If you're killing that add first, he won't have a chance to drain all your mana before you can dump it on aggro.

- If you're not killing that add first, you have more than enough time to build threat on him and don't have to worry about it.

- It makes it that much easier to NOT have to kill the hunter first, because the healers with you won't be getting drained as much.

Our kill order is Shaman (MT warrior) -> Hunter (me) -> Priest (warrior) -> Karathress (druid).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:15 am

PsiVen wrote:Viper Sting is no problem because:

- You're going to be dumping close to OOM for threat and getting it back from taking damage anyway. Save a little for Holy Shield and odds are good that you'll regen enough to cast it again during those 10s (otherwise you aren't taking enough damage for it to matter!).

The thing is I ran out of mana for even rank one holy shield.

First try with me on the hunter I was fine, somehow didn't get the sting and didn't take almost any damage at all (even tanking him and the pet). But mistakes were made elsewhere and we wiped.

Second and third try with me on the hunter I got hit with it several times. I tried to not use any mana other than holy shield... but still didn't have enough for that and I died when he buffed himself and his pet and I couldn't block.

Was I just amazingly unlucky to get three stings back to back and thus be out of mana for when he "enraged" himself and his pet?

(I wonder if having a druid be my main healer was bad... would HOTs tick too small to counter the sting?)
DracAlexstrasza

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:27 am

How far has the rest of the fight been getting before the wipes? When we were first learning the fight we found that having one person tank both hunter and pet was a bad idea. The pet likes to despawn/explode and run around, and you can't be moving the hunter around to pick him up. Plus, both of them enraged will probably kill you.

Druid is probably less than ideal; we use two paladins because they have the throughput to heal through the Beast Within easily and can bubble out of the mana drain.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:50 am

PsiVen wrote:When we were first learning the fight we found that having one person tank both hunter and pet was a bad idea. The pet likes to despawn/explode and run around, and you can't be moving the hunter around to pick him up. Plus, both of them enraged will probably kill you.

Since the first attempt with me on the hunter went so smoothly (I caught each new pet with consecrate and never took much damage at all) we kept me having both.

Druid is probably less than ideal; we use two paladins because they have the throughput to heal through the Beast Within easily and can bubble out of the mana drain.

Our best holy pally was gone this week... can't wait to have him back. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions, was kinda getting ready to sit out the fight completely.
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Romie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:34 pm

you could always tank FLK, he does hit like a girl.
Image Image
Romie

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:14 pm

see my edit up top... downed him easy once I badgered my gm to give me two healers.
DracAlexstrasza

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern