Any Tricks to Picking up Leo

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Any Tricks to Picking up Leo

Postby shade » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:42 am

okay so i'm tanking Leo the Blind, My problem isn't really picking him up in terms of aggro it more in terms of range. I kinda chase him for the whirlwind then about a second left on the whirlwind I start casting avenger shield to minimize the sluaghter of the party. My problem is range as in he often runs outside it for me..... any one else have this problem? if so can it be fixed or is it more a bugger factor?
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Re: Any Tricks to Picking up Leo

Postby Rehlachs- » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 am

shade wrote:My problem is range as in he often runs outside it for me.....

follow him
Rehlachs-

Postby jere » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 am

1. Have all shaman drop searing totems in the middle
2. Avenger's Shield / Hammer of Wrath
3. If he runs far away, go after him pre-emptively so you will be in range when you are ready to toss avenger's shield / hammer of wrath.
jere

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:06 am

Rehlachs- wrote:
shade wrote:My problem is range as in he often runs outside it for me.....

follow him

Seriously. I try to stay as close to him as possible without getting hit continuously by whirlwind. Don't worry too much about getting hit now and then, just don't stay right on top of him. You should be getting enough heals that the dot isn't a worry. In fact, I've found it all but essential to keeping my mana up on this fight, since he misses so much and hits like a trash mob when he does.

The searing totem trick is useful too. Leo hates those things.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby ulushnar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:14 am

Tiandelin wrote:The searing totem trick is useful too. Leo hates those things.

Yep, the ST will work 90% of the time unless you've got a Warlock/Shadow Priest/Fire Mage nubs up and DoTs him during the Whirlwind phase.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby shade » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:32 am

yeah i've already addressed the dots issue, thanks for the input guys
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Postby Jobah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:40 am

You shouldnt really have to chase him, tell everyone in your raid to turn target of target on and if hes coming for them they should be running for you. Searing totem is amazing, but for the times it fails make sure they people hes targeting know to run towards you.

He shouldnt be targeting DPS, this was a problem i was having at first. Dps didnt wanna stop, but i yelled at them and we covered that... So now he goes for healers, i make sure to note where the druids and the shamans are standing so i can predict where hes gonna go, you should do the same for the time the searing totem lets you down.
Jobah

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 am

Jobah wrote:You shouldnt really have to chase him, tell everyone in your raid to turn target of target on and if hes coming for them they should be running for you. Searing totem is amazing, but for the times it fails make sure they people hes targeting know to run towards you.

Oh really?

You WANT your cloth dps getting smacked by WW? That's an interesting strat.

Honestly .... A searing totem, and stand at the bottom of the ramp with all your DPS at the wall. The totem should draw him back, and by the time DBM is counting him down through the final milliseconds of his WW, you'll know where he's going, and can kind of inch your way over there.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Sengen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:55 pm

my biggest aide for this fight is Deadly boss mods. the timer is right on. I know my avenger's cast time + time the shield is in the air. So I watch DBM and when it says .5 seconds remaining on WW or Demon phase I just throw it right then. I also make sure that I have my seal of righteous up prior to casting shield so that I can immeaditely double tap him for like 2500 threat. He'll come right for me and then I just consecrate + hit holy shield and then repop seal of righteousness.

the nice thing is he doesn't really hit very hard, so I tank him in all my tier gear and spell damage gear.

Im just barely uncrushable, and I only have about 17,000 HP but I also have about +575 spell damage. Its a really easy fight in terms of agro for me - the main "trick" though is DBM.
Sengen

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:46 am

We tried him for our first time on Monday (took 3 tries to down him), and again last night, it took 2 times but could have one shotted if raid leader didn't call all out burn with 2 minutes before enrange, we wiped with leo at less then 30k hp.

What I did is just follow as close as possible to him ignoring the damage I was taking because I am pretty much the only person needing heals at that point, and I had seal of blood ready to judge and watch the BigWigs timer to toss AS and then judge with seal of blood right after WW stops. We also have searing totems layed down and 2 hunters doing rotations on MD, so between all that picking him up is easy, even if hunter MD or he ignores the totem I can still get him. We had a lock tanking the demon form so I just make sure leo was always in the same location until 15% health, when he got close to that I just pulled him to one side of the room then took leo to the other side after the split.

Everyone kept saying the fight was so hard but we didn't find it that bad, even with some people still wearing blues and greens.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby Brute » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 am

Would you guys suggest hit-capping myself for this fight? I had trouble with some misses on throws, and resists on judgements, that resulted in deaths.

I wish judgment and shield throw worked off the same stat :-(
Brute

Postby Lakirby » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:59 am

I don't hitcap for this fight, but we do use a prot warrior for this fight who's job is to simply stand there and keep debuffs up on him while I MT, and if there's any problems with the pickup he's there as a backup to grab him. He wears half DPS/half tanking gear, def-capped, and dual-wields during demon phase.

Normally a combination of AS/JoR/totem to pick him up, with the warr there in case of a combination of all of the above going wrong. It may seem a little extraneous, but we found having our safety net useful.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Jobah » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Guillex wrote:Oh really?

You WANT your cloth dps getting smacked by WW? That's an interesting strat.

You misunderstood me... I meant, after whirlwind if hes targeting a DPSer they should be running towards you.
Jobah

Postby Jobah » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:56 pm

I have a decent amount of spell hit... so my avenger shield rarely misses. However, for the times it does... I usually hit a macro (theres actually mods that informs your raid if a spell/taunt misses), but i hit a macro letting my raid know my shield toss was missed or resisted and (we have a rotation set up before we start the fight) we have a hunter misdirect leo back onto me as a backup plan. Sometimes we're a little hunter heavy and we use the misdirect every time to speed up the threat right off the bat so dps can open up faster, but often times.. we're light on hunters and we use the misdirect(s) sparingly.

*edit - adding this*

Make sure the hunter(s) are standing in range of the shaman or druid healers. If your dps is stopping when theyre supposed to, leo will usually go after the druids or shamans.
Jobah

Postby Swagger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:31 pm

Jobah wrote:I have a decent amount of spell hit... so my avenger shield rarely misses.

Does not use spell hit.
Swagger

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern