Tidewalkers murlocs (different question)

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:06 am

If you're not picking up the murlocs from healing your warlock, you're not putting out enough effective healing fast enough.

Like people have said, holy light not flash of light. Also, though, make sure the warlock is giving you enough health bar to fill. You want to lay down 10k+ *real* healing before the murlocs get to you, which is easy enough with 3 holy lights. If your warlock isn't lifetapping early or fast enough, though, you'll be wasting them on overheal, which isn't worth any threat.

Even if a shaman throws out a chain heal, you SHOULD get aggro from the murlocs. Shamans with salv get like 0.29 threat per point healed, and you get 0.48 threat per point healed with imp RF up.

-- Our problem is currently the opposite. I can get the murlocs every time, but our healers keep letting the moro tank die because they're TOO afraid of aggro.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Korath » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:15 am

Too lazy to read all the replys so I'll just state how we do it :)

We tank Moro near the tunnel that leads to Kara, everyone standing just behind him (on top of me). My lifetapping warlock keeps around mid health and when earthquake happens all raid healing stops, I get 2 holy lights off and then cons. Wait till 2nd group hits me for a few seconds and then call AOE.

AOE hits boss aswell and helps with overall dmg.

Last couple of runs we have brought a 2nd tankadin (well geared alt) and its helped alot with the randomness of me getting tombed. Also had a ret pally in the raid last night for the 1st time and +10% holy dmg is very nice :)

my pet lock has BoL, imp fel armor and sometimes amp magic to really help with big heals. I have around 550 spell damage fully raid buffed and the Al'Ar trinket that procs 290spell dmg about every 45 seconds.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 am

Korath wrote:
Last couple of runs we have brought a 2nd tankadin (well geared alt) and its helped alot with the randomness of me getting tombed. Also had a ret pally in the raid last night for the 1st time and +10% holy dmg is very nice :)

If you tank the adds to the left of the bottom of the ramp then you should never get graved.

At 30%, the tank turns him 90 degrees so that he's side-on to the tunnel, the rest of the raid runs inside the tunnel and I tank the adds from within the melee group. I've never got graved if I'm doing it right.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:48 am

The other night someone asked why I don't ever get graved. One of my good warrior friends responded with,

"Because he does what paladins do best. Pretends to be the Main Tank."

I lol'd.

But in seriousness, the bottom ramp will put you out of range for graves. If you do what I do just make sure Consecrate is down as soon as CD is up and when it ticks they will shoot to the back and follow you into the grave. It works pretty well.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:56 am

I'm going to let it go since this thread has already gathered steam (WTB append function), but if you have a new question on an existing topic, just add it to the original topic next time.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Dorvan wrote:I'm going to let it go since this thread has already gathered steam (WTB append function), but if you have a new question on an existing topic, just add it to the original topic next time.

I think you are starting to go soft. I may have to ask someone to send you back to moderator boot camp before it's too late.
jere

Postby xyzor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:56 pm

There is an even better way to do this, which removes the possibility of any non-healer getting Murloc aggro.

Instead of standing at the bottom of the ramp, and risking the murlocs aggroing onto someone as they run through your raid, stand in one of the alcoves on the east side of the room. Make sure the MT is tanking him near the entrance to the tunnel on that side with the big pillar between you. Have all of the ranged DPS stand next to the ramp, but up on the main platform, on the same side as you (so they can easily pivot and AoE when there are murlocs on you, then get back to the boss w/o having to move). When the WGs are about to happen, have your life-tap warlock also step behind the pillar (putting them out of LoS of the boss). I can get off 3-4 Holy Lights this way, and the murlocs come into the room and immediately run along the outside, so they do not ever cross through the other players. We ask ALL healers (and I announce it EVERY time) to do NO AoE heals after the earthquake. As long as they stick to single-target heals, this works flawlessly every time. For easy mode, have a Shaman healer with a mana totem sit in the alcove with you for the entire fight. Another tip is to make SURE that you and the lock (and everyone, really) has amp magic for this fight.

There is a video of this strat in the other long topic on this same question, and if you watch it once, you will never worry about murlocs ever again.
xyzor

Postby Holyonion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:28 am

I'll just re-iterate what someone has said already, make sure you have a life bar to heal. You can pump out the biggest heal ever and it'll give you bugger all threat if your lock has 3/4 health. Personally I found by having my healing mace along with normal tanking gear I could pull all Murlocs with just 2-3 HL. I had my pet lock stand in an alcove with about 100hp, he was well away from ANY incoming damage and it left a full bar for me to heal. Once the murlocs are here he seeds then taps back down to bugger all health. Works a treat.
Holyonion

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 am

When the murlocs are on their way I toss out a few flash of lights then I run up to the doorway where tidewalker is being tanked and lay down a consecrate then I run back to the where the other group of murlocs are coming from and toss a avenging shield at that group (usually rank 1) and toss out a flash of light to anybody I can if there is time in there.

We have been doing it with the holy palys with righteous furry on just to avoid our resto druids from pulling aggro, and I am not worried about graves, sometimes I get hit with it once during a fight but even then I usually have aggro on the murlocs and they will run over too me anyways, me getting graves has never caused a wipe.

I used to stand at the bottom of the ramp because people said I wouldn't get graves, I was still hit for it there so I started standing where the water is until the murlocs showed up, I still got hit by it there, and it seems like I get tossed in graves while tanking murlocs, so I don't worry about trying find a out of range distance.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby jere » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 am

DeadlyRabbit wrote:I used to stand at the bottom of the ramp because people said I wouldn't get graves, I was still hit for it there so I started standing where the water is until the murlocs showed up, I still got hit by it there, and it seems like I get tossed in graves while tanking murlocs, so I don't worry about trying find a out of range distance.

Then your raid totally didn't understand why people were telling you to stand there and not get graved. Both earthquake and watery grave have a Max range. When people were telling you to stand down there, they were also probably mentioning tanking Morogrim far away from that spot.

If Morogrim gets tanked near the area where you pick up murlocs, then yes, you will get graved. I think you need to be at least 50 yards from him to be out of range, but that is mostly just a guess. Each week that we do it, he is much farther away that that. In the 20 or so times we have done this (counting wipe attempts when the MT died to back to back crushings, etc.), I have never once been hit with the earthquake or been graved. You can definitely out-range them.
jere

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:12 am

Invisusira wrote:I just takes practice. We tried the "OT standing in the DPS" strat for a while, but as soon as we switched to the OT standing by the WGs, it worked SO much better. Just be sure that when the "murlocs summoned" (not "murlocs soon") warning pops up:
A) You're spamming Holy Light, not Flash of Light,
B) the non-pally healers chill,
C) the DPS doesn't do ANY sort of debuffy/aoe'y stuff.

And if the MT gets it, it's their own fault. (I am guilty of this btw, mis-timed consecrates FTL)

It's true!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Garov » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 am

I scour these forums for every boss my guild attempts. This is one of the few instances where what works for my guild isn't described here.

Tidewalker is tanked at the tunnel entrance that is behind where Morogrim is facing.
Dps is directly behind Morogrim, as close as they can get to his bum. This puts them between him and his water grave thing.
We've got a grave healer down at the grave thingy.
After the earthquake I big heal one dps, little heal another dps. These are usually melee.
I run out and plop a consecrate on top of Morogrim's tank (he has horrible timing on his shouts and would grab the murlocs if not for my consecrate)
The 2nd murloc herder stands near the grave healer, grabbing those murlocs and bringing them up to me.
After 5 -10 seconds I give the call and the murlocs are blown up directly behind Morogrim. This way he gets hit by the splash ae damage.
At 25% we move him into the mouth of the tunnel. At this point I only have time for 1 big heal after an earthquake.
The first pack of murlocs runs straight to me, the second I have to lay a consecrate in front of before they get to us and they come at me.

It rarely ever goes wrong. I guess it's not the most efficient way to kill him, but it works for us everytime. He's easier than Lurker for us. Gotta love the 'Oh you mean I have to go IN the water?'
Garov

Postby xyzor » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Again, if you stand in one of the alcoves on the eastern side of the room with 1 healer and a life-tapping warlock, the murlocs will NEVER run through your raid, and the MT adn Healers will not pull aggro ever. Making this fight easy is as much about positioning as execution. Also, make sure all healers do ONLY single-target heals after the earthquake.
xyzor

Postby Averroes » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:00 am

Here is how my guild makes me do this.

So im there next to the MT keeping up seal fo wisdom up yadayda and when he stomps and summons the murlocs I heal the raid with holy light and the murlocs usually go to me. When I am graved how ever its hard for me to do that again so I just jump into the raid group and aoe tanking. This is just me on with spell damage (only the nightbane shield prob), healing gear, and mostly tanking gear on.
Averroes

Postby Zyxa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:55 am

Morogrim was probably the fight that caused us the most problems in SSC. Hope someone finds the below useful, its what I wrote for our guild forums and the tactics we switched to which worked a lot better for us.

Code: Select all
          | m |
          | m |
          | m |
/---------/ m \---------\
|           m          M|
|                       |
|  /-\             /-\  |
|  \-/             \-/  |
|         |---|         |
|         |---|  W      |
|---------/   \---------|
|           P           |
|           m           |

M = Main Tank & Morogrim
W = Warlock
P = Paladin
m = many many Murlocs

Some important factoids:

- it is possible to out of range the Watery Grave
- it is possible to line of sight the Watery Grave
- it is possible to out of range the Globules
- Watery Grave will be cast on anyone on Morogrim's threat but only effect people in range [about 45 yards]

So, what these things mean in effect is that having a tanking Paladin + healer out of range of Morogrim will not get more of the people in range Graved, infact it will typically get less than 4 caught as some folk will be further out [note: ensure you're on Morogrim's threat list before moving out of range].

Our tanking spot for Morogrim is in the far NE corner of the room, turn left and to the wall as you enter from Fathom-Lord's corridor. This spot is out of range of Globules when it reaches that part. MT should have 4 healers on him; Pala, Druid, Shaman + 1 with scope for a little hybrid help if a couple of those healers get Graved at the same time.

The Murloc tank stands between the bottom of the ramp and the Grave area as he'll be out of line of sight of Morogrim and in range of the Grave healer. The Paladin tank would typically have a dedicated healer [probably another Paladin] and the Grave healer; a Priest or Shaman. Being near the Graves they should be out of range and also out of line of sight of Morogrim.

As Earthquake draws near the Warlocks move out of the DPS pack, Lifetap a couple of times and on Earthquake start being healed by the Paladin tank. They should have Blessing of Light on to aid this. Warlocks start seeding up Murlocs as they approach Paladin. A Warrior should be used to Thunderclap and Demo Shout the Murlocs after the Paladin Consecrates. Mages follow shortly after and open up with Flamestrike & Arcane Explosion to trigger the seeds. Its important to avoid use of Frost Nova so the Murlocs don't get frozen out of Paladin hitting range and target a cloth-wearer. Once Murlocs are down the Mages and Warlocks return to the pack.

Once we move to Globules phase the Paladin tank and healers move just behind Morogrim in the NE corner and we AOE there instead due to no Graves.
Zyxa

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern