Remove Advertisements

Serpentshrine Cavern - Lady Vashj

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Anubisknight » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:56 pm

haha.. nice one demi!!
Anubisknight

Postby Morganim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Daeren wrote:I maintanked Vashj, mostly because me and the guild's prot warrior share the tanking burden, and our ferals can do DPS instead.

It's more than possible to tank it as a paladin. I have in my current gear 19,5-20k health raid buffed, and that's mroe than enough to tank her. It all depends on your healers (we use 6).

I was tank on our first kill, and last night, I solo-tanked her from 17% to a 1% wipe because our prot warrior died. Me and the prot warrior take care of nagas together where we pick up whoever gets aggro first, and he taunts it off me before a new naga comes if the Naga isn't dead before a next one spawns.

Wish i was allowed to MT or OT in this fight
apparently if i want into hyjal i have to respec holy for vashj and kael as im not being allowed in as prot :?: (still cant kill kael though)
Morganim

Postby Dorvan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Assuming you're well-geared, that's just silly. Now being asked to sit for the first Vashj kill is perfectly normal: when you're only bringing 2 tanks to the fight and you've got 4-5 excellent tanks in your guild someone's got to sit. That's exactly what happened with me, I was sitting for our guild-first kill last week and I'm going to be in this week. On Kael on the other hand I'm definitely going to be in for our first kill as I can AoE tank the weapons, allowing us to bring 3 tanks instead of 4.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Morganim » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Im always the last chosen tank purely on class bias :roll:
Morganim

Postby Arthran » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:14 am

I MT'd vashj for our attempts last night, raid balance was off so i got bored in phase 2. Only just started learning her but i would say a Pala tank is best for phase 1/3 due to the agro speed and our lovely holysheild keeping away the crushing blows.
Our holy pala's did a good job on the BoF rotation so she never ran too far.

55% best on our first night, now we have that lovely reset. but she's more than killable fast
Arthran

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:40 am

I hate this fight :( Our best attempt so far was 9%. I just hate the unpredictable bullshit that you just can't really do anything about. I can't count the times that a strider spawned right on top of one of our elemental dpsers and one shot them before anyone even knew what happened. Then that side gets behind on elementals and it all goes downhill from there. Same happens with the naga spawning right on top of one of our healers and turning them into a stain on the floor.

Blargh.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:14 am

Morganim wrote:Im always the last chosen tank purely on class bias :roll:

That's probably the dumbest thing I've heard.

Especially in this fight, there is no better offtank.
How many tanks do they bring?
Who are they bringing over you?
How is your gear compared to the other tanks?
And why don't they rotate you in?

We took her down for the first time last week and from experience a Paladin is superior to a warrior and druid for phase 2 Naga tanking and pickup and in every other aspect of this fight.

Ranged Taunt and Avengers Shield make pick easy, not to mention you don't have to worry about running/intercepting/charging to melee range and risk getting feared by a passing Strider.

When not working on a naga you can easily stun or even AS a Passing Strider to help the kiters and throw some off heals.

The biggest advantage is that you bring an extra BoF to the raid.
Druids and Warriors are subpar because of all this.
Dragonzbane

Postby Mortehl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 am

Main tanking this fight is pretty much the awesome. BoFing yourself is unreal. let the other paladins worry about the off tank if you get stunned due to missing totem.

We're getting her down on 2 tries every week now (seems everyone has a massive idiot attack on our first try).
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Aurica » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:37 am

Our guild has been kinda stuck at vashj for ages, tonite was the most attempt...

The thing is I can't seem to figure out phase 2, I pull the nagas to the center and the warrior tank taunt it off me to resume tanking, i resume judgement of light and move off to hunt down the 2nd naga when DBM shows 5 seconds on the timer.

The thing is... the naga always target someone that is out of range of me. So I end up losing time chasign after it spamming my taunt, and sometimes... the striders come due to that. And SoR doesn't seem to do enough to make them come to me. I'm sitting at 331 spell damage and I'm not sure what else I can do.

I only know the naga comes out at the sides, if i'm at the left, the naga normally spawns at the right which makes grabbing it really hard.
When I'm not on grabbing duty but tanking nagas, we only tried it once, i took several hits, my hp stayed there for 5 seconds and I got done it.

Do the nagas hit way too hard for healers to keep up a pally tank?

Any advise?

What should our raid set up be like? We normally use 2 tanks. 1 warrior and myself.
Aurica

Postby Chevalier » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:35 am

2 Tanks is enough this is the way my guild is doing it, also with a Warrior. The healers can keep me up with nagas on me, have been able to keep me up with 3 on me before (not recommended).
The best way to grab a naga is have someone call it out on vent if they see them. It may be a good idea to start in the middle look around until you see it then run after it...Paladins are the best at picking up loose adds.
When you taunt open up with a JoR to cement your threat.
Chevalier

Postby Kyroro » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Taunt won't always work. Your taunt needs to be within range of the person you're targeting so yeah if it's going to a healer across the room your taunt is going to give you an out of range message.

Throwing your shield is the only way you can be sure to get the naga to come attack you, but always try to taunt if you can. Got to use everything at your disposal as well as JoR. Even have a BOP macro which uses target=targettarget in case your taunt, JoR and shield all miss. It can happen!

To be honest I've never had that problem before until I was a guest tank in another guild's TK raid - they had me picking up the little birdies in P1 (I'm usually on the platform for my own guild) and sometimes when they spawned, they would target a healer across the room, which means taunt does NOT work. Not much of a solution here, especially if you use the "save adds, AOE in P2" strat except run your ass off and hope that you land your taunt before the bird kills the clothie.
Kyroro

Postby Aurica » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Kyroro wrote:Taunt won't always work. Your taunt needs to be within range of the person you're targeting so yeah if it's going to a healer across the room your taunt is going to give you an out of range message.

That is actually my main difficulty, the guild always asks me to go to the outer rim to patrol for nagas. The problem is the taunt is normally not in range of the person...

So staying somewhere in the middle is more advisable?
Aurica

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Stay in the middle and ask from where the naga is coming.

Communication is a key in this fight, expecially if you have to move while already tanking another naga. Our melees known that if i had 1-2 nagas on and there were nagas incoming, they had to move out to avoid cleaves while i positioned myself to taunt the incoming one.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby YoYoMa » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:27 am

Something we did that helped was we have a shammy in the middle healing the melee/tanks. Whenever the naga spawn he starts healing like crazy and almost always gets aggro. Since he's right in the middle the naga just comes straight up towards him and I have more than enough time to find out where it is and taunt off of him. Then I just hold the naga until the other tank is ready and then he just taunts off me.
YoYoMa

Postby Zaephod » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:29 am

My guild's only downed Vashj three times now and we're already subbing out as many people as possible to get them MH attuned. I'd like to offer up one tip for any tankadin struggling with their part of the encounter: Pursuit of Justice is a wonderful talent to have for picking up the naga.

I'm always very busy during phase 2 of the encounter. My primary job is to pick up the nagas and bring them to the other tank. After that's over, I stun the Strider to give our kiting lock some uninterrupted threat time. Then, I run over to the nearest shield generator to the core or at least close to it to help with core passing and disabling shield generators. And of course, I add my tiny dps to any leaking elementals.

With all of that, the 15% speed boast is amazing.

P.S. I MT'd her last night and it was great fun, except for exposing my back a few times and getting crushed. Oh well, live and learn.
Last edited by Zaephod on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Zaephod

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern