Serpentshrine Cavern - Lady Vashj

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Re: Serpentshrine Cavern - Lady Vashj

Postby Vic » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:52 am

Lore wrote:You should not be main tanking

i wish i had known this before i actually ran in there :|... i must say Vashj was beating the :SHIT: out of me when i tried tanking... i think it may be because of my gear, i don't think i'm best suited to tank vashj but i gave it a shot because my guild suggested i do. I was semi hard for me to locate the Naga, each group had someone who was 'capable' of tanking so that if a Naga was near that person would Shift//PutOnShield and grab it and once they had it, bring it to one of the Tanks which would be me or another warrior. We only had Two actual Tanks when we went after Vashj (we just had our very first attempts not too long ago) still picking up on it.

It's usually like.. when tanks are rooted... I Freedom myself and go Taunt vashj and tank until the tank gets free... but man she was beating me hard... i dunno maybe someone could comment on my gear? I've had no problem with Aggro, but Vashj was bending me over at times.

Armory Link

So it's suggested i Taunt + Bring to other tank for -him- to taunt? doesn't seem that hard actually... she doesn't run off too far at all.

BTW is there any special place i should tank the Naga? i kind of felt stupid tanking him on the platform and then the strider comes and fears me and i lose the Naga to a healer >.<!
Pally / 70 / Stormscale
Vic

Postby Tiandelin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:40 am

My guild uses two tanks in the encounter, me and a warrior. Phase 1 and 3, the warrior tanks Vashj while I keep JoW up and beat on her, occasionally tossing heals around when things get crazy. I also watch for melee who get rooted with static charge or in toxic spores and BoF them. The other paladins handle BoF on the MT.

In phase 2, I'm mostly on naga pickup duty. The warrior tanks nagas between two shield generators, and I run around picking them up and bringing them to him. In between naga spawns, I keep JoL up on the one that our spare melee (usually three rogues) are burning down to help mitigate the lightning damage. Aside from that, there's the occasional cleanse on poison bolts, emergency heal, and hammer on striders.

We have a couple holy paladins up top who have improved RF up. They spam heals around when the naga spawn to draw aggro, and all other healers have salv and are instructed to be careful when naga are due to spawn. Works like a charm 99% of the time. AS and/or taunt do the job with ease.

Granted, we have yet to kill her, but we're mostly working on the phase 2 to 3 transition and phase 3 itself at this point.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Eneroth » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:17 am

I read this thread, tried to tell my guild leader/raid leader, about how I would be helpful to the raid if I didn't throw on my healing gear, but they said "we just need two warriors" and I would be useless. Oh well, kind of irked me a bit, still have the mind set that I am only good for a couple mobs to kill, but have yet to kill any real bosses outside of KZ.
Eneroth

Postby Questioner » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Does any guild's warriors use intercept to break the roots?
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Bel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:35 am

Why bother when they have BoF slaves standing by? The root has never been an issue for us and we typically only have 2 and sometimes only 1 pally. That being said, we still havent killed her, but not because of roots. People just seem to get stupid about avoiding the green crap in p3.
"Beat it to fit, paint it to match"
Bel

Postby Lieris » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:28 pm

We used to have me pickup nagas for the warrior tank to taunt off me but because of my higher threat I now tank them instead which allows the melee to really go all out. We now kill the nagas usually a good 15 seconds before the next. Our problem is that we keep having around two tainteds despawn. :evil:
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:29 am

Our guild will be attempting Vashj for the first time this week. A couple of questions about Phase 2:

Do the tainted elementals despawn immediately after they are killed? If not, is it possible to leave them unlooted, kill the all other adds, position the rest of the raid in a favorable position and then deactivate the cores so that there are no adds once Vashj goes into phase 3?
Anubisknight

Postby Lore » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:49 am

Anubisknight wrote:Our guild will be attempting Vashj for the first time this week. A couple of questions about Phase 2:

Do the tainted elementals despawn immediately after they are killed? If not, is it possible to leave them unlooted, kill the all other adds, position the rest of the raid in a favorable position and then deactivate the cores so that there are no adds once Vashj goes into phase 3?

I suppose it's possible, but not really feasible as the adds will continue spawning.

If everyone's staying on top of their game, you should only have a couple adds up going into phase 3. If everyone's not on top of their game, you're not going to be able to kill all the adds before more spawn :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks Lore. What about the tainted elementals? Do they despawn a few seconds after they are killed or can you take your own sweet time before looting them?
Anubisknight

Postby Lore » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:14 am

Anubisknight wrote:Thanks Lore. What about the tainted elementals? Do they despawn a few seconds after they are killed or can you take your own sweet time before looting them?

They last a little while but there's no reason not to rush down there and loot it, especially on the last one to be killed as you don't want to get the generator down as quickly as possible before more adds spawn.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mortehl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:41 am

Don't waste time on this fight. Even a couple seconds off can spell disaster.

Loot the core, get it up, get it gone.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Anubisknight » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:14 am

A really interesting fight!! Got in 4-5 attempts on her yesterday - could've been more if not for the SSC instance crash on whisperwind. 60% was the best we got her to. Hopefully we should have her down in a week or two :)
Anubisknight

Postby Daeren » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:25 am

I maintanked Vashj, mostly because me and the guild's prot warrior share the tanking burden, and our ferals can do DPS instead.

It's more than possible to tank it as a paladin. I have in my current gear 19,5-20k health raid buffed, and that's mroe than enough to tank her. It all depends on your healers (we use 6).

I was tank on our first kill, and last night, I solo-tanked her from 17% to a 1% wipe because our prot warrior died. Me and the prot warrior take care of nagas together where we pick up whoever gets aggro first, and he taunts it off me before a new naga comes if the Naga isn't dead before a next one spawns.
Daeren

Postby Joanadark » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05 am

I'd actually contest that we are completely viable main tanking vashj.

She hits for a fairly small baseline individual hit, the hits come fast, and every time I do that fight I watch a warrior Main Tank eat crushing blow after crushing blow in very rapid sequence.

She seems to hit really hard cause she's crushing the pants off of warriors.

Besides..
-we can BoFreedom ourselves
-bubble/cleanse off the shock debuff so the melee doesnt have to either run out or get owned (which is an advantage no other tank has)
-we can front-load aggro quickly for the phase 1/3 pickup
-and there isn't any real shieldwall requirement that Ardent Defender wont prove just as useful on for this encounter.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Demiblade » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Demiblade

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern