SSC - Leotheras the Blind

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

SSC - Leotheras the Blind

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:08 pm

In Phase 1, Leotheras spends a significant amount of time Whirlwinding and dropping aggro. This means that DPS should never ever have DoTs on him during this, and the tanks should. Sorry Horde pallies, but you're at a significant disadvantage here without SoV. Consecration alone will help, but not as much as a druid's Lacerate.

Gear
Leotheras hits hard, so you want plenty of stamina. A slow weapon is very helpful for keeping SoV at 5 stacks. Uncrushability is of course a must, and spelldamage is more useful in this fight than most. Have a +dmg shield handy to switch for killing your demon.

Initial Adds ("Phase 0")
There's 3 adds that spam mindblast aoe on the raid. Spread them out and kill them, and the real fight begins. If you're one of the tanks on these first adds, try to be the last one so you can conserve mana at the start.

Phase 1
You should have 3-4 tanks on Leotheras, 2 (ideally 3) of which should be either bears or paladins. More than two paladins is not recommended due to the stacking behaviour of SoV.

When Leotheras comes unbanished, put up wisdom and begin stacking SoV on him. Ideally, you want a 5-stack of Holy Vengeance throughout the Whirlwind. Don't bother consecrating unless you have aggro or during a whirlwind; you're not going to pull aggro in this phase.

Whirlwind -- Leotheras will spam a bleed DoT and melee hit anyone in melee range with him. All DPS should be stopped during this so that he doesn't move around. When Leotheras begins whirlwinding, drop a max-rank consecrate and keep it going until he stops. Save your judgement cooldown. Your mission is to keep Leotheras exactly where he is.

If Leotheras targets a ranged dps and begins to run away from the tanks, judge and cast Avenger's Shield immediately. This should bring him back. Catch up with the other tanks and start whacking him again if it doesn't.

Phase 2
When Leotheras turns demon form, immediately stop attacking and let the FR tank (most likely a warlock, sometimes a warrior or druid) pick him up. If you have aggro from a late hit, don't move; otherwise get away from whoever does. Once the FR tank has aggro, JoW+SoW for the duration of the phase. Spam some heals if you're full on mana.

Inner Demon -- Inevitably, you will get whispered during phase 2 and have to kill one of these bastards. Weaponswitch to your biggest +dmg weapon (probably your tank weap) and a +dmg shield (assuming you have one). Pop Avenging Wrath (you should be saving this for demons), Exorcism, and stun before you Avenger's Shield. Then judge and whack with SoR until you can exorcise a second time. If you don't have AW up because you got whispered last phase, go ahead and say a short prayer.

Final Form
At 15% Leotheras will split and have both forms up at the same time. Treat it just like every other phase 1, but be careful about an opening consecrate with the demon form in range. Spam Avenger's Shield -and- Hammer of Wrath every cooldown during the whirlwind.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 am

Leotheras is a pretty easy and incredibly fun encounter. Here's what Tankadins in particular need to know.

First off, be in full spell damage gear, with a Wizard Oil and Adept's Elixir (or a Flask of Supreme Power if you'd rather go that route). Don't worry too much about mitigation and hit points - keep yourself at a respectable level, but he hits like a girl, and the extra threat and damage output will be very useful.

There's a few tricks a Tankadin can use to make themselves an asset on this fight. Avenger's Shield immediately after a whirlwind (in human form) is nice for pulling him back to the tank position, though the cooldown means you'll only be able to do that every other whirlwind. He's also a dual wielder, which means plenty of Holy Shield threat when he's on you. Like I said, he doesn't hit hard, so just stay uncrushable and you'll be fine.

When he switches into Demon form, you'll be able to use Exorcism on him. If you position yourself away from the raid, a quick Exorcism (and Avenger's Shield if it's up) will build enough threat to keep him from nuking random healers until the Warlock tank can pick him up.

Inner Demons are highly vulnerable to Holy damage, so pop AW if it's up, and put that extra spell damage to use. I'm able to kill mine in about 10 seconds with Exorcism and JoR.

The phase 3 isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds. He'll go through a little emo cutscene thing before he actually splits, so your raid has time to get ready. Just treat it like Phase 1 (as Psiven said), and enjoy your free loot.

Note: We haven't had any luck whatsoever with keeping him in position during the whirlwind, and he goes around the entire raid, which leads me to believe it has nothing to do with aggro whatsoever. Furthermore, the aggro wipe is at the END of his whirlwind, so as long as your DPS stops a few seconds before, you shouldn't have any trouble picking him up afterward.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:40 pm

I guess I didn't realize there were multiple ways to do this fight when I wrote it :) If you want to keep in position during the whirlwind, you need to stop DPS when it starts rather than when it ends. If you're hitting the enrage timer due to that loss of DPS you'll need to concede letting him run around like crazy.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Yeah, we just let him run around. It's a bit rougher on the healers, but he doesn't kill anyone, and dead faster means moving on to better things faster even if you don't need to worry about the enrage :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Coldaan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:06 pm

hi there!

problem here is, of course, the whirlwind. does anyone have any clue how his aggro behaves during that phase? yesterday we had a pally tank (me) an feral and to def warriors on hin and still he was running around like crazy, once in a while killing someone.

What most concerns me is that during the whirlwind, it seems like he completely ignores me, and when he eventually runs away from the tanking position, a "quick avengers shield" doesn't do anything.^^

is it really possible to get him back once he runs away?

we tried our best to somehow control him during the whirlwind, but as soon as dps didn't stop completely during that phase, we had no luck.

any suggestions?

next problem was, to the end of the fight, our trees and our holy priests had great problems to kill their demon. which resulted in losing healers. which resulted in losing a couple more dps. which the resulted in the fact, that we only got him down to 20% before he enraged.
Coldaan

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:39 am

It's important not to use Avenger's Shield until his whirlwind wears off (or is about to). He'll run around like crazy during the whirlwind, just have everyone spread out and make sure you've got healers around to heal everyone.

Holy priests and druids should be able to kill their demon without TOO much trouble - they're highly susceptible to holy and nature damage. If necessary, stick a shaman in their group to use Bloodlust when they get their demon. Having them wear a little bit of spell damage gear isn't a bad idea either.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Coldaan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:13 am

thanks,

hopefully we will kill him tonight, i can't wait to get a new sword.^^
Coldaan

Postby Agriash » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 am

Umm, his WW threat is not based on hate, he *randomly* targets a person and will head for that person no matter what you do; if his target is out of range he will switch again to a different player, he does this for pets and totems as well. Naturally, have all shamans place searing totems where he will be tanked and have dps off prior to end phase this will get him to aggro the totems when the phase ends 9/10 times. If you have any sort of boss timers you can start casting AS at 0.5~1 sec mark and you'll most certainly have hate on him, if your shield miss, judge SoR, if that gets resisted, well you're pretty much fucked, oh and keep consecration up obviously.

When he transitions from Demon->Human, just watch your timers, consec and have holy shield up and sor at about 5~2 sec mark... when he changes, judge it, you'll get aggro almost instantly. We usually have a warlock tank the demon phase, or sometimes a FR druid.

He does hit like a girl, sometimes, I had to drop a bunch of dodge and stack blocking and block value to get some threat via holy shield, heh. But umm, the times where you forget to have holy shield up it's pretty funny, you might see string of crushings that'll make u go oh shit. :roll: Sometimes you get unlucky resists, makes me want to put spell hit on my gloves instead of 15agi...

By the way, why not just get merciless gladiator spell mace, it has *some* +hit on there... I'd take that over crit any day... and resilience on there is no big deal but better than nothing or armor :P
Agriash - 70 Paladin - Cenarius
Agriash

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:06 am

Agriash wrote:By the way, why not just get merciless gladiator spell mace, it has *some* +hit on there... I'd take that over crit any day... and resilience on there is no big deal but better than nothing or armor :P

Not everyone has the time or desire to do that many arenas.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Agriash » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 am

psh, 10 games a week you'll get your mace eventually, you can't really say you raid every single day. Besides, it saves dkp in most systems :P. Another reason to do arena is get healing gear from there save dkp for tanking items during raids, unless you're in a guild where they always have you prot tanking every time, but I doubt majority of guilds out there do that... :?
Agriash

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:12 am

I raid 5 days a week and take the rest of the time off to have a life :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Agriash » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:19 am

Lore wrote:I raid 5 days a week and take the rest of the time off to have a life :P

Hardcore.. I raid 2...3 tops a week and take 1-2hours tops arena a week(last season) and got Gladiator title >_< And all times between work/school/life. I guess it depends how competitive your battlegroup is in arena. Then again my guild ain't makin any progress in a timely manner :lol:
Agriash

Postby jere » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 am

Lore wrote:
Agriash wrote:By the way, why not just get merciless gladiator spell mace, it has *some* +hit on there... I'd take that over crit any day... and resilience on there is no big deal but better than nothing or armor :P

8 weeks of arena bliss FTW (only about 30-60 mins per week, depending on queues).
jere

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:14 pm

Lore wrote:

I'm thinking of banking arena points for season 3 - instant upgrade to the next tier of pewpew weapon, rather than waiting for a new drop in some new instance >.>
Nich

Postby jere » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:17 pm

Nich wrote:I'm thinking of banking arena points for season 3 - instant upgrade to the next tier of pewpew weapon, rather than waiting for a new drop in some new instance >.>

Aren't they toying with the idea of a minimum "rating" for season 3 purchases ?
jere

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern