Coilfang Reservoir - Hydross the Unstable

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Coilfang Reservoir - Hydross the Unstable

Postby Endure » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 pm

Okay, here is the overall strat:
http://www.bosskillers.com/cgi-bin/bbgu ... uide_id=14

Gear

You have the potential to take a lot of magic damage. Both nature and frost. I was able to reach about 80 frost and around 90-100 Nature with one single gear change (Plate Nature boots, 46 stam, 30 nature). The tank group also had a hunter in it for Nature aura. Either way, you can get some resist gear without sacrificing much for it.

You also want to get some solid stamina for high health. I was sitting at around 17,6k fully buffed (Titans, Crawdad, Comm. Shout, +raid buffs). This gives you a good chunch of health, because you will get high, and you can get hit hard. And if you are tanking an add, and get hit with Water Tomb, all that dodge and parry won't help. So make sure you have the health. Don't diminish your dodge, parry, or block, you still want to be able to avoid crushings (not that it will be a problem, but just to give you an idea of what kinda of avoidance you can have even with that much health).

What you will do

First, you provide an aura. Frost aura to the tanks. This helps the frost side of things.

Next, you will tank two adds each transition. Most likely you'll have 2 locks banish, and the remaining 2 adds are tanked. In my case, I tanked the front right first. This was the first one we killed. They are stunnable, and rogues took full advantage of this. After he was dead, I moved to the back right one, consecrate, and made sure JoR was ready. His banish would fall before consecrate was down, and I would Judge. Because of the marks, you will take more damage, so I usually save my stun for that. I let him get a few hits in, and then once the DPS starts going all out on him, I get a stun in. They usually finish him off.

You basically repeat this process on each swap.

After your two adds are dead, you can judge Wisdom on Hydross for the casters.

You'll be tanking quite a bit on this encounter. In fact, you'll tank more than the "main tanks", and most likely take more actual damage then they do, simply because each transition you are tanking. Your 40 yard taunt becomes really handy, and being able to bubble out of Water Tombs is also a big help. Should you get tomb'ed during a transition, you can bubble out and not lose your add.

It's a fun encounter, with lots going on.

Enjoy!
Endure of Crimson
http://www.crimson-guild.org
0/49/12
Endure

Postby Justika » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 am

Hi endure!

about how much frost and how much nature and defense do you sport for this

also..what gear did you craft?
Justika

Postby Endure » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:15 am

Justika wrote:Hi endure!

about how much frost and how much nature and defense do you sport for this

also..what gear did you craft?

80 Frost = 70 Aura + 10 AV Epic Trinket
90 Nature = 70 NR Aura + BoE Blue Plate Nature boots, 46 stam, 30 nature)

I still had over 490 Defense.

No crafted gear.

Rogues spend a lot of time stunning the first add I tank (the first one that's killed). The second add (the third one we kill) I have my HoJ up, and a six second stun after a few seconds of tanking him is usually enough. If I don't need it, I save it for the fourth add on the warrior.

We don't really stack resist gear on the off-tanks. A single paladin can keep up a single add tank easily. I really just added the BoE boots and trinket because they added more and I wasn't giving up anything major (besides, my current tanking boots suck. Badly. >_<)
Endure of Crimson
http://www.crimson-guild.org
0/49/12
Endure

Postby Lore » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 am

Endure wrote:(besides, my current tanking boots suck. Badly. >_<)

My current tanking boots are Glider's Greaves of Nature Protection.

I think I'm set!
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Anatheme » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:52 pm

thanks alot for the informations ) we're going there sunday.
"Anatheme c'est la reroll de Benediction."
- Yshuta

My armory
Anatheme

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Quick question:

Are their attacks (the boss and the adds) pure elemental, and thus unblockable? i.e. no holy shield aggro?
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Anatheme » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:41 am

seemed to me the boss' attacks were physical ones with elemental procs here and there, and so were the adds. Resist definitely helps, but you can block a fair part of the attacks.
Not really sure tho, since i was healing (we had two druids on OTing).
- Yshuta

My armory
Anatheme

Postby Anatheme » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:22 am

correcting myself. Every single bit of damage you take during this fight is either nature aligned or frost aligned, but you can parry/block/dodge all the "natural attacks" be it from the boss or the adds.
- Yshuta

My armory
Anatheme

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern