Remove Advertisements

Advice on res gear for Hydross add tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Atlas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 am

Antagonizing has the right idea in my opinion.

I hope this provides some help to people who are trying to build their Hydross Adds tanking set. :) It's not the only way to go but I know it works from my own experience.

I'm able to tank all four adds at once with a dedicated Resto Shaman and Holy Priest healing me. I stand in between Hydross and my healers and pick all four up at once with a Rank 6 Consecrate and our locks and mages are able to begin AoEing as soon as I launch my second Consecrate. Generally one of the healers generates the most threat and all four adds head straight for him/her, making them easy to pick up with a single Consecrate and no help from other players. Below are my stats and my gear.

Stats:

Unbuffed HP: 11347
Defense: 392
Dodge+Parry+Miss: 22%
Frost Resist: 343
Nature Resist: 316

My normal defensive stats are horrible. And the gear makes me look like shit! But my resists are way up there and that seems to get the job done.

Equipment:

Wildguard Helm (+20 enchant)
Pendant of Withering
Iceguard Breastplate
Frozen Eye
Natural Ward
Iceguard Leggings
Nature/Frost Armor Kits
Chromatic Flask
A bunch of green/blue pieces

I encourage you to tank ALL of the adds. Don't be scared! :wink:
Atlas

Postby Crusherus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:28 am

Yeah, I toyed around with the idea of tanking all the adds. Now we 1-shot Hydross every week because of it. The only difference is that I pick up 2 adds, then 2 other tanks pick up the other 2. I taunt off one of them right away since he doesn't wear any resist gear, then taunt off the other tank who has a decent set 150/150 or so about 15 seconds later.

This prevents the adds from going after a healer and possibly 1-shotting them. I can still call for AoE as soon as I have them grouped up on Hydross about 10 seconds after they spawn.

I run with these stats raid buffed.

400 spell damage
14,500 HP
466 defense
245 frost resist
235 nature resist

The adds are all down pretty much before the 50% debuff hits. Sooner with more AoE. We had 1 warlock, 1 mage, and 5 hunters for AoE and still managed to pull it off.

Tanking all 4 adds and aoeing them down ontop of Hydross really seems to be the best strategy for this boss.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby Kellann » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:43 pm

Did it the first time night before last actually.

My "Hydross Set" puts me at 480def, ~400SD, ~15kHP and 185/190 resistances. The only time I dipped low (died actually) was when the healers were topping off the druids for some reason...

I tanked all 4 poison adds on top of Hydross, and 3/4 frost adds a bit off to the side - only problem was the batshit crazy druids taunting adds and running away with them for no reason, and one stupid warlock that felt like "helping" by banishing around the 3min mark.

We definitely had more trouble teaching people not to shadowbolt/nature's swiftness during the transitions than we did keeping tanks alive.

(1 FR warrior, 1 NR warrior, me in mixed)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby kaime » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:09 am

My guild downed Hydross for the first time last night. We have 2 OT for the adds myself and a Druid.

I grab 1 with a consecration and judge the other pull them to hydross and start dropping consecration. The druid brings his 2 over and i end up with three on me. After the first add goes down we start seed of corruption all single target dps moves to hydross the rest aoe.

I have around 18k health raid buffed and Tank them in regular gear the only pieces I swap is gear with block on it for cheap resist greens. I must say we have probably the finest healers I've ever played with in our guild so that helps.
Level 70 Human Paladin
Antonidas
kaime

Postby adese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 am

kaime wrote:I grab 1 with a consecration and judge the other pull them to hydross and start dropping consecration. The druid brings his 2 over and i end up with three on me. After the first add goes down we start seed of corruption all single target dps moves to hydross the rest aoe.

If there are two tanks on adds, and I'm one of them, I'll generally use AS to pull one on my side, and JoR to get the 2nd one. I'll stand by the second one to ensure that I'm in range of JoR. Once I have both of them on top of Hydross (and hopefully the other tank has done the same), I'll drop a Consecrate and tell the dps to AoE down the adds.
adese

Postby kaime » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:52 am

adese wrote:
kaime wrote:I grab 1 with a consecration and judge the other pull them to hydross and start dropping consecration. The druid brings his 2 over and i end up with three on me. After the first add goes down we start seed of corruption all single target dps moves to hydross the rest aoe.

If there are two tanks on adds, and I'm one of them, I'll generally use AS to pull one on my side, and JoR to get the 2nd one. I'll stand by the second one to ensure that I'm in range of JoR. Once I have both of them on top of Hydross (and hopefully the other tank has done the same), I'll drop a Consecrate and tell the dps to AoE down the adds.

I save AS just in case the druids add gets away. Our dps is instructed to run towards me if this happens and not hit them but they dont always listen.
Level 70 Human Paladin
Antonidas
kaime

Postby adese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:59 am

kaime wrote:
adese wrote:

I save AS just in case the druids add gets away. Our dps is instructed to run towards me if this happens and not hit them but they dont always listen.

Hmm...that's not a bad idea. If an add gets away from me, I just taunt it so that it will come back to me. I could see AS working as well, though.
adese

Postby Crusherus » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:37 am

I tend to judge JoR to pick up the first one, then toss AS to get the second one. That way, if the second one takes off on me, the shield will at least follow him out to 40 yards. If I were to use AS on the first one, I would have to chase after the second one to get within 10 yards of it before judging. Also, AS tends to tag any other adds that managed to get away since if they don't go for the add tank, they are all most likely going towards one unlucky healer. This ensures that all of them are picked up. Then you can save your taunt for any resists, and if that still doesn't work, ask to have one of the hunters misdirect it to you (hasn't happened yet).
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Postby adese » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:56 am

Crusherus wrote:I tend to judge JoR to pick up the first one, then toss AS to get the second one. That way, if the second one takes off on me, the shield will at least follow him out to 40 yards. If I were to use AS on the first one, I would have to chase after the second one to get within 10 yards of it before judging. Also, AS tends to tag any other adds that managed to get away since if they don't go for the add tank, they are all most likely going towards one unlucky healer. This ensures that all of them are picked up. Then you can save your taunt for any resists, and if that still doesn't work, ask to have one of the hunters misdirect it to you (hasn't happened yet).

The reason that I open with AS is that I can start casting it before the adds aggro on anyone, thus preventing any downtime while I'm casting AS.

What you do is a good idea, though - helps to cut down on the runners. I'll have to try that next week, assuming I remember.
adese

Postby Arkellian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:33 pm

I use 214 frost (45% reduction) and 247 nature (52% reduction) with paladin and hunter auras. I have no idea on my defense because I ignore it (need 480 to be crit immune against lvl 71). This hasn't caused any problems.

I think being prot has more to do with my survival, as a ret paladin with > 350 resists on both frequently dies and takes a lot more damage than I do. I have more +damage so I usually get more (all eventually) of the adds too.

I'm wearing:

Icequard Helm (50 fr) + Glyph of Frost Warding (20 fr)
Shattered Hand Belt of Frost Protection (27 fr)
Frozen Eye (35 nr)
Wildguard Breastplate (60 nr) + Exceptional Health (150 health)
Wildguard Leggings (60 nr) + Savage Guard (10 nr)
Natural Ward (35 nr)
Syrannis' Mystic Sheen (12 nr, 12 fr)

Against level 71 adds you max out at 355 resist (75% reduction).

average damage reduction = (resistance / (mob level x 5)) x 75%
Arkellian

Postby Arkellian » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:16 am

I've been playing with my gear a lot and have come to the conclusion that the ideal setup is:

Iceguard Helm (64 sta, 50 fr) - 6 more sta than Wildguard Helm
Enchant Helm: Glyph of Frost Warding (20 fr)
Iceguard Breastplate (49 sta, 60 fr) - 4 more sta than Wildguard Breastplate
Enchant Chest: Exceptional Health (150 health)
Paladin Frost Resistance Aura (70 fr)
----
Total = 200 fr

The Natural Ward (28 sta, 35 nr) - 16 more sta than The Frozen Eye
Wildguard Leggings (55 sta, 60 nr) - same sta as Iceguard Leggings
Nethercleft Leg Armor (40 sta, 12 agi)
Amber Cape of Nature Resistance (32 sta, 21 nr) - best green cape
Enchant Cloak: Greater Nature Resistance (15 nr) - best resist enchant
Hunter Aspect of the Wild (70 nr)
----
Total = 201

I've actually added a Inscription of Endurance (+7 resist all) to a spare set of tanking shoulders, so 207 frost and 208 nature (about 44% damage reduction).

P.S. Illidari Cloak of ... Protection is best, but an extremely rare find.
Arkellian

Postby Pala » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:38 am

I went in there last night for the first time and it was a success. We got him to 12% the first time but he did something funky at 15%. We walked back in and everyone crossed the line when they had to. I had my Frost resist aura on, the Hunter's nature aura, & the MotW. Of course we had another paladin tank and an extra warrior tank in there for the adds but the paladin and I usually had the lot of them. I was pretty low on mana most of the fight with the adds and skipped holy shield a few times.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 am

Pala wrote:I was pretty low on mana most of the fight with the adds and skipped holy shield a few times.

You cannot block Hydross's attacks. HS is merely a waste of mana in that fight :). You can use AS however for some extra threat as needed.
jere

Postby Pala » Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 am

I just meant that I was there for add tanking. Does the Holy Shield still work well for them? I figured I was going to throw everything at them each time so the healers would stop dying. When it is just Hydross, I toss on JoL and SoR since my mana is usually pretty good. It was my second time there last night and we got him after a few tries.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Amanor » Sat May 03, 2008 9:15 pm

I believe, as elementals, they too disregard blocks, and thus, Holy Shield with it.
Amanor

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern