Remove Advertisements

The Lurker Below, Pally Tanking Viable?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Exalt » Wed May 07, 2008 6:15 am

Eurus wrote:our warrior has 3000 more HP then me but is crushible
i am uncrush with holy shield up...who should tank him? we have tried 7 time now once the warrior was crushed 2 twice and died. this is why i ask
(we would have wiped even if the warrior stayed up tho)

Your warrior is crushable? Wat?
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby dmok » Wed May 07, 2008 7:59 am

i am uncrush with holy shield up...who should tank him? we have tried 7 time now once the warrior was crushed 2 twice and died. this is why i ask

If your warrior was crushable and was considered for MTing Lurker, I think you have bigger problems on your hands ...
dmok

Postby Tekkel » Sat May 10, 2008 5:53 am

Lol how can u be crushable while MTing a boss and have passed kara/gruul/mag :)

I guess u mean he can eat crushes with running out of block charges but I doubt it happens much on lurker below rly.
Tekkel

Postby sweeney » Sun May 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that's code for "Our warrior MT doesn't realize that he needs to use Shield Block when crushing blows are getting him killed."
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 am

I thought we just had to call them dumb, or stupid if they already know how crushings work.

The lurker doesn't have anything that make him more viable to either class to tank. Hits for moderate-high damage, 1.8~ timer, and his only gimmick is kicking people out of melee. That doesn't depend on class.

If you are better geared, go on. Play your positioning right and enjoy the ride. With unending Breath, the only event you have to care about is picking up naga when he dives.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: The Lurker Below, Pally Tanking Viable?

Postby skank » Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm

Ash wrote:Is there anything about this fight I should be wary of while MTing him, anything Paladin specific? It seems pretty straightforward, just avoiding the spouts, right? Any help is appreciated! :D

I have tanked MT lurker a couple times. The problem only lies when they want me to be second or third on threat so the dps can go to town. I go oom if i am not taking hits, but i like to peev off the MT and taunt lurker on to me without notifying the healers and take some hits so i can get some mana back. i dont know how many times i have thought to myself "that might have been a mistake" after watching my health drop quick and the healers arnt on me. lol

Its so much easier for me to MT him and take an add I never run out of mana
skank

Postby Cosha » Mon May 19, 2008 4:45 am

Hi, not gonna make a whole new topic for a single q, well I switched from my mage to a tankadin a few months ago, used some time to lvl up etcetc blabla [insert boring stuff here] - and yesterday I was gonna MT, for the first time, nice that they told me5min before the pull, but thats hardly not the point.

Do you guys just stay in the water after a spout, and stay under until the whirl is over? and do you go into the water each whirl? Cuss I got hit and got knocked into the water, and then he one-shotted a melee before I could get up again, really annoying >_>
Retlol in Kamuflasjefylla @ Dentarg
Cosha

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 19, 2008 4:48 am

Ideally the tank won't have to move at all. Water Breathing / Unending Breath makes tanking him with a single tank easymode.
Go to him
Hit him in the face
jump in the water
stay there and enjoy your extra 50 mana every 3 seconds.

One of the ends of the platform has a pipe or rock or whatever, it helps you not going too far away from him with a whirl, too.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Plankeye » Tue May 20, 2008 5:55 am

Here is a video from my perspective that might help you. This was a progression kill for us after attempting it numerous times with our warrior tanks. The two things I learned real quick were be careful if you emerge out of the water after a spout as I got caught by one but thankfully the column behind me stopped me and to just stay in the water as much as possible.
Plankeye

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 am

Plankeye wrote:Here is a video from my perspective that might help you. This was a progression kill for us after attempting it numerous times with our warrior tanks. The two things I learned real quick were be careful if you emerge out of the water after a spout as I got caught by one but thankfully the column behind me stopped me and to just stay in the water as much as possible.

Yeah, I just tank him in front of the column and stay down in the center in the water. It helps for a little extra mana, as he doesn't really do ALOT of dmg.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Cosha » Tue May 20, 2008 2:46 pm

cheers, thats pretty much how i tanked him but it didnt seem to work to well. Ill get him next time =)
Retlol in Kamuflasjefylla @ Dentarg
Cosha

Postby Frickit » Fri May 23, 2008 10:02 am

Exalt wrote:

Your warrior is crushable? Wat?

Our warrior gets crushed multiple times during every boss encounter and Im pretty sure hes actively uncrushable. So...Idk. Hes not the only one, I see that with pretty much all warriors. And yes..the infamous two crushes in a row followed by some sort of cleave happens quite a lot(wipe). I have to bite my tongue and hope I get a turn. Got him to 50% for our first night in there as a guild. At the end of the night I got to take him once on our last try. Guardians were getting loose so it was another wipe.

I know I have the most health, armor and avoidance in the guild with more than enough threat. I still get second billing a lot simply due to not being recognized as much as the warriors but some healers in the guild say that theyd rather have me tanking....I believe its because I dont ever get crushed and it makes things much easier.
Last edited by Frickit on Tue May 27, 2008 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frickit

Postby Korbah » Mon May 26, 2008 12:10 am

I always thought that a prot warrior that's naked would be close to actively uncrushable.. :\
Korbah

Postby Hailo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:49 am

After AoE tanking the adds in the Hydross fight, I main-tanked The Lurker Below last night. The raid leader kept saying, "Misdirect on the main tank! Misdirect on the main tank!" even though I was at the top of the meter the entire fight. We have a mage and a 'lock in our guild who don't or can't watch their threat meter, and they jumped above me a couple of times for a few seconds. No worries though; he won't aggro to your ranged DPS unless they are in melee range. It took us 11:30 to kill him.

I was in the water throughout the whole fight. I got knocked back when the boss whirled, but ran back into the water immediately. I recommend some water breathing consumables. I used a Nagrand Cherry to get 30 minutes of water breathing. I am not sure if it cancelled my stamina buff from the crawdad I ate or not. I did not notice. We killed the boss, so I am not worried about it. Next time I tank it, I'll pay more attention.

I ran wisdom on the boss for the first few minutes, but mana was not an issue, so I switched to crusader to get more holy damage.
Hailo

Postby mapfarity » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:40 pm

NarfJones wrote:I was in for this fight for the first time tonight. We wiped time after time due to bugs. Everytime we went to the islands to tank the adds on the second submersion there would appear three gaurdians that could hit me but evade all damage. It sucked. Has anyone else seen this problem? It's no fun taking 7-8 hits within a second and a half.

this is not a bug, although why the behavior would be intended is beyond me, if the add is evading it means they have targetted someone on another island and they will be invulnerable until their target comes over to their island. enable show target of target and then you can see who they have targeted, I do not know if RD will work in that state.
mapfarity

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern