Morogrim strategies?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Morogrim strategies?

Postby Viskahn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:52 am

Hey there, my guild is progressing through SSC/TK currently, and although i havent had a chance to get into the 25-mans properly yet (i switched main to this char a couple of months ago, still gearing up in kara), we are attempting morogrim tomorrow and ive been wondering about whether i will be able to have a go in there, since tankadins are awesome at aoe tanking the murlocs.

so the first issue, is my gear good enough? (armory link in sig). assuming i dont need to be crush immune for them, i would be on about 11.75k unbuffed, 14k armor, 266 block value and so forth (although this can of course be switched around a bit).

second, how do you other tankadins handle the adds? i have read the wowwiki entry for morogrim, but would really appreciate some advice from tankadins who have actually experienced the fight.
Last edited by Viskahn on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viskahn
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:15 am

Check this out

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1448

Lots of different strats in there. Chances are you'll have to play with a few your first few attempts to see what works for your raid group.

I can't click armory links at work, but I'd say if you are geared enough to MT in any of the lower raid instances, you can tank the murlocs just fine.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Neuron » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 am

seems to me like u got the gear to do it
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Lansky » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:15 am

Gear is plenty fine. Most of murloc tanking is just getting in there and doing it a handful of times and getting a feel for it. Normally you will have your job down to a science while healers are still complaining about how hard the MT gets hit.
Lansky

Postby Viskahn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:25 pm

well i tanked those murlocs just fine tonight, i am pleased to say.
i splashed out and spent 33 badges on the heroics shied (was using the botanica one previously) and got the shield block value enchant for it, the murlocs were only hitting for 500 or so, which was supercool.
so we downed morogrim, and i showed at least some value of a tankadin to the raid...

..although the main raidleader still has quite a prejudice against tankadins, he wouldnt let me tank any trash up to morogrim, and on the one chance i had at tanking afterwards i screwed up and forgot righteous fury :oops:

one thing during the fight which baffled me (and i could use some more paladins' recent experiences regarding) was that i had a designated warlock with all the +healing buffs on him, he lifetapped, i holy lighted when the murlocs were arriving, but they just completely ignored it. i didnt get any aggro on them whatsoever from my healing, so after 2-3 murloc waves of failing to get healing aggro and having to chase the murloc around to group them up, i just started spamming consecration at the north tunnel entrance and moving them to the middle, which worked fine.
still, have the aggro mechanics during this fight been changed or something? i was somewhat disturbed when i simply wasnt getting any threat from 2*4k holy lights (which should be like 7.5k threat overall)(?)
Viskahn
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Viskahn wrote:one thing during the fight which baffled me (and i could use some more paladins' recent experiences regarding) was that i had a designated warlock with all the +healing buffs on him, he lifetapped, i holy lighted when the murlocs were arriving, but they just completely ignored it. i didnt get any aggro on them whatsoever from my healing, so after 2-3 murloc waves of failing to get healing aggro and having to chase the murloc around to group them up, i just started spamming consecration at the north tunnel entrance and moving them to the middle, which worked fine.
still, have the aggro mechanics during this fight been changed or something? i was somewhat disturbed when i simply wasnt getting any threat from 2*4k holy lights (which should be like 7.5k threat overall)(?)

Did you have righteous fury up? ;)

I did it yesterday as usual with no issues. Make sure your healers aren't healing the raid right after the earthquake hits, since they can pull aggro if they try.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Gracerath » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:07 pm

Also things like earth shield on the MT can screw with your healing threat. If you have resto shaman using it, have them cast it on you right before the tidal wave. A lot of times it will go off as you take the AE damage and thats all hate thats applied to you for the murlocs instead of the MT in addition to your spam heals on the raid.

But yeah. Make sure you are the only one healing the raid (healers still on MT obviously) and don't forget RF. What you describe sounds like a classic case of forgetting that buff :) Its happened to us all believe me.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Viskahn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 am

i am 100% sure RF was up during the fight - although i did forget it on the trash pack afterwards, leading to a little bit of chaos.

it was odd, i think the healers were still healing quite a lot as the murlocs came, but a max rank holy light was hitting my warlock for ~4k, meaning roughly 3.8k threat. i did two of those, and by that time the murlocs were running around in the raid attacking people, so i just had to chase them around and spam consecration.
i really am rather confused about it at the moment, fortunately i was only allocated to tanking the north pack (until we grouped them up and my consecration pulled aggro from the south ones), so i spammed consecration at the north tunnel entrance and it was all hunkydory. but if i am to be tanking both packs at once in the future, i really want to figure out why my healing aggro just wasnt working :?
Viskahn
Maintankadonor

Postby YoYoMa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:20 am

Yeah I actually had the same issue last night. Normally, we have the lock life tap and 3 max rank heals on them guarantees that the murlocs are on me. Usually 2 will do it and the third will lock it in. Last night I was hitting 4 greater heals and the murlocs were still going for the main group (not every time but enough times to make me suspicious).

It was always the shammy that was getting the aggro, apparently from chain heals is what I can gather. But neither him nor I was doing anything different, we discussed in details. And we verified that we had the normal buffs, spell damage etc. He definitely had salv up and was dropping whatever his threat totems are, and I had RF up, lock with fel armor.

Something definitely seemed different on the fight and all I can gather is that last night a lot of people were complaing of lag on our server, perhaps that contributed to the flakyness of was was going on. But something was definitely going on.
YoYoMa

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:21 am

YoYoMa wrote:It was always the shammy that was getting the aggro, apparently from chain heals is what I can gather. But neither him nor I was doing anything different, we discussed in details. And we verified that we had the normal buffs, spell damage etc. He definitely had salv up and was dropping whatever his threat totems are, and I had RF up, lock with fel armor.

Shamans will pull aggro if they chain heal the raid too quickly. Tell them to wait a while.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Rhaenys » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 am

I stand where Morogrim initially stands. We tank him just outside of the north tunnel. I am in range of a warlock, who lifetaps while i heal him. When I see that Morogrim is about to earthquake, i start pre-casting heals on him, and can usually get 3-4 HL's on him prior to all the murlocs comming to me. The healers only heal after I have cast 2 HL's, which I let them knwo when I do.

The only time we have had issues is when the healers start healing the raid before I get the 2nd one off, the lock's life is too full, or too many Earth shield's/PoM's on the tank.

At 25% we take him to the north tunnel, and it gets a little dicey in there, as one pack of murlocs gets there way b4 the other, so sometimes AoE starts too soon.
Rhaenys

Postby YoYoMa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:32 am

yeah it's just wierd, we get him every week without any aggro issues and none of us feel that we changed anything. But we'll make sure to hold the shammy back at least for a heal or two. Thanks
YoYoMa

Postby Shalon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 pm

I am more concern about my MT warrior keep dying.
Does shield block charge still used up by earthquake and becomes crushable?
Will a feral druid better MT on tidewalker?
Shalon

Postby Therem » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 am

We do Moro with a Warrior just fine.

I'm standing on the lower half of the ramp (so not to get a watery grave), when earthquake is about to come I start casting and interrupting HL on the lock. Depending on how lucky you are with the timing that's 3-4 HLs, then I switch weapon, shield and relic and drop consecrate.
The healers continue healing, but don't use great heals.
Important details: Hammer it into your healers not to heal your lock. Ask your Warlock to click away any hots he might have. Use Item Rack or a similar addon to switch weapon, shield and relic fast.
Therem

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern