Tonight's challenge: Tanking Hydross' ads

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tonight's challenge: Tanking Hydross' ads

Postby Eneru » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:30 am

My guild is on the first boss of SSC having some trouble managing the ads. We have two elementals banished, that leaves 2 free ads. There's a druid tank equipped with frost/nature resist but as we are having some trouble with dps and enrage timer, we'd like to maximize our damage by trying to tank both elementals with one tank, myself.

For those of you who have attemted such thing:

1) Is it enough 150/150 frost/nature and 10k hp unbufed?

2) Which chain of spells would maximize agro without pulling hydross? (I'm afraid of a nice AS crit on the boss and messing the whole try )

3) Any further tips?

PS: Soz if I'm breaking any rule here :roll: :oops:
Eneru

Postby corc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:54 am

I say go ahead and try. Make sure your healers are expecting you to take a bunch of damage though.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Re: Tonight's challenge: Tanking Hydross' ads

Postby Mortehl » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 am

Eneru wrote:My guild is on the first boss of SSC having some trouble managing the ads. We have two elementals banished, that leaves 2 free ads. There's a druid tank equipped with frost/nature resist but as we are having some trouble with dps and enrage timer, we'd like to maximize our damage by trying to tank both elementals with one tank, myself.

For those of you who have attemted such thing:

1) Is it enough 150/150 frost/nature and 10k hp unbufed?

2) Which chain of spells would maximize agro without pulling hydross? (I'm afraid of a nice AS crit on the boss and messing the whole try )

3) Any further tips?

PS: Soz if I'm breaking any rule here :roll: :oops:

My advice to you: Don't banish adds. Use a 5 tank combination.

1 FrR MT
1 NR MT
3 Split OT

Whichever MT is off duty picks up an add. Dog pile the adds onto the middle and AOE them down. This will kill the adds faster and will increase DPS on big ugly. Don't worry about the MT dieing ot hte adds. They'll all be dead before the 25% mark and they hit like girls anyway that early on.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 am

What the dwarf said.

Your stats are fine enough, maybe u would use more HPs to be honest.

If you need, use a 2h for more damage with SoR also, you cannot block them anyway. I actually tank adds using Nightfall :D
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby mconeone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 am

Wouldn't a spell damage weapon be better simply because of the boost to SoR/JoR/Consecrate?
mconeone

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:40 am

That depends on your base spelldamage ofc, since mine is 150ish when i tank there, i prefer my nightfall :o
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Worldie wrote:What the dwarf said.

Your stats are fine enough, maybe u would use more HPs to be honest.

If you need, use a 2h for more damage with SoR also, you cannot block them anyway. I actually tank adds using Nightfall :D

Yeah, I'd go for a little more health too, you could easily sacrifice some resist for it. I generally am around 180/180 buffed. You'll take a burst of damage at first but you can always stun one and then you'll have a flow of heals coming.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Eneru » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Thx for the tips guys they proved very useful :D

We downed hydross to 30% but had problems keeping up the nature MT for some weird reason...

I think he was hit on the back when the phase was about to change to frost. Would he get crits from hydross which arent healable?
Eneru

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:55 am

If he has 490 defence he cannot be crit even from behind.

So must have been healers slacking.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zonzede » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 am

I run about 210 buffed, and I tank 3-4 adds which get AoE'd down, with a feral assisting to pick up and control. Does wonderfully.
Zonzede

Postby Eneru » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:38 am

Worldie wrote:If he has 490 defence he cannot be crit even from behind.

470 def with the NR set
:?
Eneru

Postby Mortehl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:42 am

Two things

1) Transition time is critical. Trust me on this, I can tell you without even looking at your raid that you have more DPS then you think you do. All the hydross raids do. Your issue is execution. 5 seconds before Mark 100%, call for off tanks to transition to the other side. 5 seconds after Mark 100% transition.

2) How you transition is critical. Run right through your alternate main tank. And the key here is run. Don't pass go. Don't stop for tea and crackers. RUN! Yeah you'll get whacked a couple times but with 6-8 healers focus spamming you you'll be fine.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:21 am

Eneru wrote:
Worldie wrote:If he has 490 defence he cannot be crit even from behind.

470 def with the NR set
:?

This is wrong

Cap defence, then resist. Crits on hydross are a BIG danger.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Tiandelin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am

You definitely want to be uncrittable if you're tanking Hydross (or almost any boss, for that matter). If you're tanking the adds, it's nice but not essential. I run slightly crittable at around 300 resist for each, and even on the rare occasions they do crit me, it's almost never for much. Also, if you're stacking both resistances, resilience can be useful since you need less of it than defense to reach uncrittable.

Hydross can't crush either, so each MT should be running to the other on transition. They also shouldn't be cutting it close. Even if he can't crush, Hydross still really hurts at 250%.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Arianne » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:00 pm

We use the AoE strat with 2 prot pally tanks with 150 mixed NR/FrR and one warrior who picks up anything that strays with mixed resist. The key to moving hydross on transitions is to STRAFE him so that you're still facing him but moving backwards at a steep angle. If you're using the AoE strat you can usually have the luxury to transition him faster because you're still doing DPS to him and the adds (we transition him at 20s into the 50% mark).
Arianne

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern