Remove Advertisements

Karatress' Shaman

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karatress' Shaman

Postby Kvaern » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:20 am

This guy just totally wtfpwned the druid tank we had on him yesterday (we only had one prot warrior in the raid and he's just been hacked so he's sitting at 13k unbuffed due to lack of gems/enchants and thus was tanking the priest).

I was tanking karathress himself with a second druid on the hunter but I'm
seriously considering putting myself on the shaman today.

Of course everyone is telling me to use a warrior on him (and we should have a better geared one available today) but as I see it a paladin is actually the optimal tank for him since it's pretty unlikely for him to leapfrog AD (given the paladin has about 20k raid buffed life) and we'll be blocking more than warriors (not that CB's are an issue but blocks are major mitigation when he's WF'ing for 3-5k).

Question though, is it possible for warriors to reflect the frostshock and did I miss something?
Kvaern

Postby Questioner » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:28 am

A warrior is an awful choice for tanking him. I still advise the druid on him. On our first attempts, the druid took the 75% of the damage of the warrior on the normal hits. Just make sure you have enough healers on him, and they absolutely cannot reactively heal.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:42 am

Druids are by far the best tank for the Shaman. Their ridiculous HP pool coupled with the fact that Karathress' adds can't crush (they're only level 71 elites) basically makes them gods.

The biggest make-or-break thing for the Shaman is Grounding Totem. It absorbs his Frost Shocks and cuts down on his burst damage a LOT. If one Grounding Totem isn't enough, give him two.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kvaern » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:47 am

How many healers would you advice?

Yesterday we had 2 pallies and a priest healing the tank and a shaman dedicated to heal the healers.

I believe that should be enough and the issue is moreso that I need to give the healers a lesson in proactive vs. reactive healing.
Kvaern

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:51 am

We usually put:

2-3 healers on the Shaman tank (3 is optimal)
1-2 healers on the Hunter tank (1 healer can do the job but it's risky with his viper sting)
2 healers on the Priest tank (preferably at least one Shaman to help with interrupts)
1 Paladin healer on the Karathress tank
1 healer on the Karathress tank healer

For our learning attempts we always tried to bring 9 healers, it can be done with 8, 7 is very messy at best.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kvaern » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:07 am

ty info much appreciated.
Kvaern

Postby Gideon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:21 am

Imo for Tidalvess it goes druid > paladin > warrior.

I feel much the same way about Morogrim MT.
Gideon

Postby Ownopotamus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:49 am

We never use a druid on the Shaman add >_> Normally we have a warrior do it or me. 3 healers either way for us.
Ownopotamus

Postby Kvaern » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Sorted the healing out and downed him in the 2nd try today with a druid on the shaman and me on karathress~

He enraged at 1% and hit me for 53k though ;p
Kvaern

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern