Remove Advertisements

SSC/TK off-tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

SSC/TK off-tanking

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 pm

My guild is on the doorstep of starting some SSC and TK bosses, namely Hydross, Lurker, Tidewalker, and Void Reaver. My current stats are in my signature, raid buffed with a Fort, MotW, AB, and Kings. My question pertains mostly to Tidewalker and Void Reaver:
With those stats and buffs, and maybe the odd consumable thrown in, do I need to hold out for another gear upgrade or two before considering myself ready to be the murloc tank on Tidewalker and the first tank on Void Reaver? In addition, how am I looking for the rest of the SSC boss encounters - Karathress and Leotheras in particular?

In case my armory changes, my tanking stats for reference:
14157 HP
516 Defense (6.64% miss)
16588 armor (w/ Devotion Aura up)
20.98% dodge
11.64% parry
22.80% block
429 holy damage

Also, anyone have some tactical tips on what not to do when tanking in these situations? For example:
Should I grab Tidewalker's murlocs and drag them to Tidewalker, AoE them there? Or not waste time and just tank them where I get them?
Which of the Karathress mobs should I tank, if any, if I've got 2 prot warriors and 1-2 feral druids?
Anything I should know in advance about the nuances of tanking Void Reaver besides keep Holy Shield up and spam my abilities, pop Avenging Wrath every cooldown?
Besides having 172+ FrR and NR, what HP, avoidance, and spell damage levels should I be aiming for vs Hydross adds?
Last edited by Baelor on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Ownopotamus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

I'd say you can tank murlocs and VR. Void Reaver hits like a wimp really.

Fathom Lord can hit pretty hard and what makes him tough is the shadow bolts and then taking a hit after that.

Are you at 14157HP with full raid buffs? That seems low to me since all your other stats are so high.
Ownopotamus

Re: SSC/TK off-tanking

Postby corc » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:18 pm

I've seen warriors tank with less than that, dunno why you can't do all you said.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Ownopotamus wrote:I'd say you can tank murlocs and VR. Void Reaver hits like a wimp really.

Fathom Lord can hit pretty hard and what makes him tough is the shadow bolts and then taking a hit after that.

Are you at 14157HP with full raid buffs? That seems low to me since all your other stats are so high.

That HP number is with Fort, MotW, and Kings and wearing my "threat" set. I can boost the HP number slightly by trading out some spell damage pieces (Tankatronic Goggles, Moroes belt, Panzar'Thar BP, Bracers of the Green Fortress, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch get swapped in). That drops me into the mid-300s for spell damage, maybe around 315, for an extra 500-700 HP. I cannot recall how much spell damage and HP I have in that set with raid buffs - I know I'm uncrushable in both though.

And yes, my stats are high all around, I've been striving for uncrushable with 0 points in ret, takes some heavy avoidance gearing.
Last edited by Baelor on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Ownopotamus » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Baelor wrote:
Ownopotamus wrote:I'd say you can tank murlocs and VR. Void Reaver hits like a wimp really.

That HP number is with Fort, MotW, and Kings and wearing my "threat" set. I can boost the HP number slightly by trading out some spell damage pieces (Tankatronic Goggles, Moroes belt, Panzar'Thar BP, Bracers of the Green Fortress, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch get swapped in). That drops me into the mid-300s for spell damage, maybe around 315...

I would do that and I think you would be fine for everything.
Ownopotamus

Re: SSC/TK off-tanking

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Baelor wrote:With those stats and buffs, and maybe the odd consumable thrown in, do I need to hold out for another gear upgrade or two before considering myself ready to be the murloc tank on Tidewalker and the first tank on Void Reaver?

You are fine for the murlocs. For tanking void reaver I'd put on a bit more mitigation if you can... being the first tank you will get knocked back (and possibly out of the range of healers) so you don't want to be too squishy.
Baelor wrote:In addition, how am I looking for the rest of the SSC boss encounters - Karathress and Leotheras in particular?

If you want to tank the hunter and his pet on Karathress I'd once again recommend some more mitigation. Leotheras hits kinda soft, only way you will die is if the healers get out of range when you go to pick him up (the bleed is kinda nasty).

Baelor wrote:11.64% parry

429 holy damage

If you plan on tanking consistantly in ssc you really should consider going full prot spec and putting points in ret for the 5% parry. That is a huge amount of mitigation. Your spell damage is kinda high, I think you would be fine wearing a few pieces of more traditional tanking gear (even for aggro race fights).

Baelor wrote:Should I grab Tidewalker's murlocs and drag them to Tidewalker, AoE them there? Or not waste time and just tank them where I get them?

Tank them down the ramp, out of range of getting watery graved (or whatever it is called) I have another pally pull them there with healing aggro, even have a warlock handy to lifetap down so they have someone to heal.

Baelor wrote:Which of the Karathress mobs should I tank, if any, if I've got 2 prot warriors and 1-2 feral druids?

Tank the hunter and his pet. You will need to wait for him out in the open and grab the pet when it spawns, then move him. Be careful of the elemental pet despawning. Also, bring dark runes and save your mana pot for the right moment. The mana sting can be fatal if you run oom right before he buffs himself and the pet.

Baelor wrote:Anything I should know in advance about the nuances of tanking Void Reaver besides keep Holy Shield up and spam my abilities, pop Avenging Wrath every cooldown?

Use the lower city rep hammer and SoV. Make sure to stand close enough that consecration actually hits him.

Oh, and encourage your raid leader to put a reliable healer behind you so you don't die if you get knocked back while at low health.
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Baelor wrote:And yes, my stats are high all around, I've been striving for uncrushable with 0 points in ret, takes some heavy avoidance gearing.

Missed this on my first read through... you might want to consider going more tanky. There is no boss fight in SSC or the eye where you can't be a viable tank. These days I only put on my healing gear on for the Shade of Aran in kara.
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Cakes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:38 pm

For tanking in general, bring your mana pots. It's not the times when you're MTing that you have to worry about mana, but the times you aren't. That being said, in your threat set, you probably have a lot more mana than I do.

Hydross: Spell damage doesn't make a ton of difference here, in my opinion. Grabbing your add and dragging it to Hydross is your ticket, and being sure not to grab too much agro. Not enough resist + all the adds on you = bad.

Tidewalker: Drag the adds to Tidewalker's feet. Frost Nova, soak damage. Repeat. The aoe will not only destroy the murlocs, but will also put some needed damage on Tidewalker. The fight is about endurance, and any way you can cut it down in duration, the better it will be.

Karathress: Should be fine for Hunter/Pet. I wouldn't try the shammy unless you're going to get some more stam. With the shammy, it's not about your avoidance or threat, it's "can you survive the burst damage?" If you can't, get on the Hunter and pet.

When tanking the Hunter/Pet, watch for the pet after you get the Hunter. He will sometimes whistle for the pet immediately or hesitate for a few secconds, so you'll have to be ready for it to pop up and be smacked.
Cakes

Postby Baelor » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I logged out with buffs and my "heavier" set on (15k HP and low 300's spell damage) for a comparison of stats. I had my "threat" set on earlier. As soon as my armory updates, my sig will reflect the new stats.

EDIT:
Heavy tank set stats with Fort/MotW/Kings:
14987 HP
504 Defense (6.16% miss)
16606 Armor
22.46% Dodge
11.16% Parry
23.46% Block
336 Holy Damage

I have a little wiggle room with uncrushable in this set to sub in more stam... I'm at 103.5%ish with Holy Shield up, and a Gnomish Poultryizer/Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker in my Backpack.

Drac, while I appreciate your tips on all the encounters, I do want to stress that I'm *not* trying to be the main tank and I *am* a healer very often, which is why I'm not specced into ret at all. I know my parry is low, but that's why my dodge is high and I've got a little extra block. It just nerfs my stamina a little, but if 15k with fort, motw, and kings before consumables isn't enough to off-tank, then I'm underestimating the intensity of some of the adds I'm about to encounter on boss fights.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Lore » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:13 am

You should be fine for just about anything. Hydross adds are annoying since we can't block them, but so long as you can get the threat you need with JoR/SoR and Consecrate it should be no problem.
Lore
Global Mod

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern