The lurker Below

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby adese » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:03 am

Vencedor wrote:Spouts will NOT hit the people in the ring of water where Lurker is?
Does this only include the MT or also melee DPS?

There is nothing special about avoiding the spout - as long as you don't get hit by the column of water, you are fine. I generally OT this fight (dps lurker, tank a warrior add), so when spout comes I fall forward into the same area of water as lurker is in.

I know quite a few of our melee dps run around the middle ring, continuing to dps and also avoid the spout that way.

Vencedor wrote:Also, I had something weird happen to me in one of our attempts on him last night.
Immediately following a Whirl, I was hit by something that was NOT a Spout (Geyser?). This shot me pretty far away and when I finally got back in range, I got stuck and then was hit by a Spout.

Any idea what it was that knocked me back the first time? I didn't think the Geyser would go after the MT?

I don't think a Geyser can hit the MT, but I am honestly not sure since I've never MTed the fight. When I get hit by a geyser, it generally moves me about the same amount as a whirl does, which is either just to the back of the middle ring or just past it into the water.

I've noticed that (at least visually) when he does a whirl it looks like he rotates around twice. I don't know if that means that you can get hit twice by it, or that is just how it is animated.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else could have knocked you back.

Vencedor wrote:Our biggest issue on him thusfar seem to be everyone in the raid avoiding spouts. On our best attempt (65%) we had 2 die to a spout, and they were 2 responsible for CCing the platform adds.
So, when the adds came, the lack of CC caused problems in the raid, obviously.

This was our biggest problem as well, until we got him down. While there is no enrage timer, if you don't have enough dps you just can't take lurker down fast enough before the healers run out of mana, or take the adds down before he respawns.

One the raid learns how to avoid whirl and spout, this is a pretty easy and straightforward fight.

Vencedor wrote:Also, when you guys tank him, how many healers do you typically have on you? I only had 2-3 last night (2 for the majority of the attempts). Where should healers be positioned as well? We had 1 on each platform and 3 more in the center platform behind Lurker.

I think we typically have about 6 healers. I've never healed on this fight, however I think we generally put 3 healers on the MT, and 1 healer on each of the islands (possibly 1 of those only on melee, I'm not sure).

I would say that 2-3 healers is very low for lurker, especially for a progression fight. I think on our first kill we had 7 healers, but I'm not positive.
adese

Postby Vencedor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 am

Well we had 6 in the raid total, but my Officer responsible for the healers positions/assignments had 3 of them on the platforms (1 each) and 3 on the center platform.
I think he was doing this to avoid Whirl damage.
Anyway, I see no reason why all the healers can't be positioned in the center and keep heals on me and when the adds come, they simply shift to healing people on the platforms.
Last edited by Vencedor on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vencedor

Postby Vencedor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:43 am

mconeone wrote:You don't have to dive at all, spouts will not hit you. Getting in is a snap, use just walk to the platform and jump when you stop or get close.

When I was asking about the spout hitting people in the center pool, I was referring to this statement from Holydiver.
Vencedor

Postby mconeone » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:01 pm

The water in the center is the same as the water on the outside. As long as you are in far enough you won't get hit.

On the geyser, was anyone else near you? It has a short-ranged AOE component. You might have has a melee DPS/tank get inbetween 101% and 109% of your threat as well.

The whirl hits on the second spin. If you strafe out you can avoid the whirl even if you leave in the last second or two of the timer.
mconeone

Postby Kellann » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Lurker's a cake walk - even easier than Rag was IMO.

MT: Swim - get out and tank a guardian after submerge. Haven't noticed that it matters what class the MT is...

OT's: Fight either from melee dps spot (6'oclock) or your assigned guardian spot (3/6/9 oclock), just be aware that if you're at 3 or 6 oclock, you have alot less time to dodge a spout...

Guardians: Kill as many as makes sense for your group composition, it's entirely feasible to keep all 3 permasheeped, so long as your mages are as competent as priests doing the same deal for Moroes...Most groups kill 1-2 to give the DPS something to do while waiting for him to re-emerge.

Spout: get in the damn water, inside and outside just as good, watch him and don't get out till he passes you by for sure. If you're bad and tend to die to it, get in earlier/stay in longer. The only person who should be in the 2x part of the 370° arc is the MT, who's immune because he's swimming.
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Gracerath » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:40 pm

SSC. Home to the inevitable deaths. No matter how many times you've been through the zone, no matter how many times you've owned Vashj, *someone* will still fall down the elevator shaft and die, *someone* will fall into the water and get eaten by fish and *someone* will die to spout.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby mclem » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:33 am

Mortehl wrote:I tank Lurker in the water 100% of the time. Yes, Consecration hits him there.

Dredging this up because we had our first tries on lurker a few days ago, and having read this, I attempted the tank-in-the-water strategy.

My healers were, however, commenting that I was out of LoS as a result. I'm wondering if it's a quirk of my precise location (I know it was shaky at first - at one point while learning I was getting crushings, which must have meant he was behind me). Is it better to be just next to the platform or go right out into the middle? Should the healers be positioned in a bit closer? (I think they're afraid of the Whirl themselves, which seems a justifiable fear for a priest)
mclem

Postby Alienne » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 pm

When you get in the water, don't try to get under the water at all. Just use your keyboard to walk forward until you're swimming. I usually go a few steps farther so I'm not right up against the ring, but I'm still undeniably in front of Lurker (not swimming inside his chest or anything). Healers don't have any LOS problems on me in that position.

What you should probably do on your next attempt is spend a few minutes working with the healers before fishing Lurker up. Get in the water where you'll be tanking him, and ask them to find where they can stand and still have LOS on you. If they have trouble, then you move. Tweak your positions around until you're all clear on where you can stand. One of our other tanks did this on a recent attempt, and it was immensely helpful, both for him and the healers.
I'm still not getting enough mana back--do I have to take my pants off again?
Alienne

Postby Vencedor » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:39 pm

How many healers would you guys recommend be on the MT?

Last night was our first attempt back in SSC in weeks, and the best we have been able to do is 54%... whether it be because the tanks dont get the adds when they come and they port to healers and own them or last night, I was getting raped because I only had 3 healers on me, who I think were not entirely focused on me and instead raid healing while trying to heal me as well.... causing me to really struggle to stay alive.

Any suggestions? Should all healers be on the MT during the regular DPS phase? Where should healers be positioned? All in the center ring?
Vencedor

Postby Vencedor » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:19 pm

I think a better strategy would be to have all healers on the center platform, no?
Vencedor

Postby Treachery » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Our guild made our first attempts on Lurker last night, and our results weren't fantastic, but I can tell the fight is easily within our grasp once we get used to the mechanics of the fight. I'm OT for the fight, and I'm advocating for me to try and tank all three Guardians during the submerge phase of the fight. I tanked two last night with not much difficulty, and saw earlier in the thread that this was a viable strat, but will all three decimate me?

I ask this because our guild is surprisingly short on raiding mages, we were lucky enough to have one per platform last night, leaving no sheep for the center ring, though we could have used a hunter trap with the one hunter we had last night.

In my max stam gear, which I'm not logged out in, I can get over 18k hp/17.5k armor raid-buffed right now. My armory is:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Laughing+Skull&n=Treachery
and please don't laugh at my cloak.

So has anybody tanked all 3 guardians and do you think it is feasible in my gear?
Treachery

Postby Tybalt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:22 pm

If you can keep the 3 guardians perma-sheeped, will 3 more spawn the next time Lurker submerges?
Tybalt

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Tybalt wrote:If you can keep the 3 guardians perma-sheeped, will 3 more spawn the next time Lurker submerges?

No. When we were learning the fight we always kept 2 guardians sheeped, and have kept doing it out of habit unless a mage dies. As a result, thses days we've usually got about 10-15 seconds of standing around at the end of every submerge :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am

Neuron wrote:My only note is that if you use your ranged taunt on the adds that come to the lurker circle while standing on one of the islands near the other adds, there is a chance that you will get a bunch of adds that instantly disappear from near lurker and then reappear on top of you. I ended up with 6 adds on me and it was totally unexpected. Luckily, we are pally tanks and the healer was ready and ranged dps just aoed. Worked beautifully actually. But I don't know if it is intended. I mean the adds instantly all ported on top of me. Was rather hilarious.

This happened to me last night... caused a wipe because my healer wasn't ready for me to start getting abused like that.

All i did was use Seal of Wisdom at exactly the wrong time. I got around it by holding off on using any Seal till I could actually engage my add.

This happen to you guys very often?
Brute

Postby Invisusira » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:39 am

The ads and their mechanics are VERY buggy.

We've found that if you leave ads sheeped, there is a chance that the entire fight will just randomly reset and Lurker will despawn. This has happened to us two or three times when we don't kill all the ads. Never happened to us when we DO kill them, however, there's still sometimes the random teleporting ad glitches.
Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern