Remove Advertisements

Prince and Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prince and Nightbane

Postby sibi5454 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Ok so tonight I was tanking prince, doing good and got into phase 2 and lasted in phase 2. But all of a sudden, my health just went to 0. I had holy shield up constantly, smashing the button repeatedly when it was close to needing a recast. And in my combat log, everything had a block or dodge etc. Nothing landed full, or crushing, but my health still just vanished. My healers always had me topped off for health as well. I'm just confused why my health vanished so fast. Any insight? (Link to armory at end of post)

And for nightbane, what do you guys do to combat his fear? Other than fear ward from a priest, I dont know what to do. Until I get better gear, that PvP trinket would just ruin me.

If I'm just plain old not ready gearwise just tell me, because I do realize that could very well be the problem. Working on badges to get a new piece. Not sure what to get though. Was thinking the leggings of the aldor. If you have a suggestion for badge gear please let me know.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... il&n=Bulio
sibi5454

Re: Prince and Nightbane

Postby ldeboer » Sun May 11, 2008 11:53 pm

sibi5454 wrote:Ok so tonight I was tanking prince, doing good and got into phase 2 and lasted in phase 2. But all of a sudden, my health just went to 0. I had holy shield up constantly, smashing the button repeatedly when it was close to needing a recast. And in my combat log, everything had a block or dodge etc. Nothing landed full, or crushing, but my health still just vanished. My healers always had me topped off for health as well. I'm just confused why my health vanished so fast. Any insight? (Link to armory at end of post)

And for nightbane, what do you guys do to combat his fear? Other than fear ward from a priest, I dont know what to do. Until I get better gear, that PvP trinket would just ruin me.

If I'm just plain old not ready gearwise just tell me, because I do realize that could very well be the problem. Working on badges to get a new piece. Not sure what to get though. Was thinking the leggings of the aldor. If you have a suggestion for badge gear please let me know.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... il&n=Bulio

Did you stop attacking him in phase 2? He attacks really fast and can parry gimp you to death.

Nightbane shaman totem, priest fear ward are the go.
ldeboer

Re: Prince and Nightbane

Postby sibi5454 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Ok so tonight I was tanking prince for the first time, doing good and got into phase 2 and lasted a bit in phase 2. But all of a sudden, my health just went to 0. I had holy shield up constantly, smashing the button repeatedly when it was close to needing a recast. And in my combat log, everything had a block or dodge etc. Nothing landed full, or crushing, but my health still just vanished. My healers always had me topped off for health as well. I'm just confused why my health vanished so fast. Any insight? (Link to armory at end of post)
Edit: While looking around the site, saw that it is recommended to stop auto attack during phase 2. I think that was the problem. So in light of this, is there anything else that I might not be aware of as a first time tank for prince and nightbane? (Have done them both multiple times as a healer)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... il&n=Bulio[/quote]
sibi5454

Postby Koopa » Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 am

If someone pulls aggro off you for just a glimpse of a second near the enfeebles, there's a chance that you will get enfeebled. Although the parry issue sounds like a better theory. :)

As for Nightbane, a Shaman in your group (with Tremor Totem) is about the best fear control you can get. A priest giving you Fear Ward will help whenever it's on cooldown, but you should not rely on this and would probably have to take a fear or two during the fight.
Code: Select all
/* temporary signature
* Koopa of Voltage
* EU-Dragonblight
*/
Koopa

Postby Holyfuri » Mon May 12, 2008 4:23 am

For prince he has fast attacks and when he thrashes in phase two he can do 13-14k burst damage inside of two seconds. The only thing to combat that is more avoidance and the hit points to survive the burst. A parry in the middle of that can mean certain death when not overgeared for the fight.

Nightbane is a gear intensive fight for the tank, he hits slow and really hard. Using a priest fear ward will take care of every other fear, use a shaman with tremor totem for everything else. If the shaman is good, he can drop the totem as he casts it and actually time the pulse to go off at the same time as the cast and you won't even move. Worst case you run away for a couple seconds in between pulses. If you have two priests its ezmode, because the priests just alternate fear wards.
Holyfuri

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon May 12, 2008 6:42 am

1: Prince enfeeble is threat-sensitive: If you're not on top threat, you get enfeebled. Just holding aggro won't keep you safe.
2: Prince p2 is a motherfucker spike damage fight. Takes late T5 gear to even start ooming on him because he really can drop a tank's health by 13~k in a second. No one should be meleeing him from the front but you, specially if you are in kara gear.
3: Prince has a bug associated to pulling him with misdirection, where you get enfeebled regardless of threat, and one during transitions where he may enfeeble you for whatever reason. It just happens :/

Summing up: Check your combat log. Having Recount/Grim Reaper really helps to measure deaths and why they happened.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Mordinm » Mon May 12, 2008 8:57 am

Always check your combat log when this kind of thing happens. If you got enfeebled it will show up in the combat log, or at least it will show up in the default combat log. Like people have pointed out you do not have to lose agro to become enfeebled. If melee have 101% to 109% or ranged have 101% to 129% of your threat they will not pull but you can be enfeebled.

The chance of parry causing tank deaths are extremly slim provided that you are the only one attacking from the front. The worst a parry will do is shave a fraction of a second from the time healers have to heal you from a spike. It can cause wipes but if you healers are on the ball it shouldn't be a problem.
Mordinm

Postby sibi5454 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:30 am

Alright thanks for the suggestions.
sibi5454

Postby Lookit » Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm

On Nightbane, I've taken to not using Avenging Wrath at all so that I can bubble at any time, using a /cancelaura macro to immediately remove Divine Shield. This way if there is a problem with fear ward or tremor totem, I still have a reliable way to break at least 1 fear.

In the few seconds that your back is potentially turned to him, you can easily go down since you cannot dodge, block or parry. Because he is undead and you can therefore use Exorcism, I've never found threat to be an issue to the point that using AW was worth potentially being unable to bubble out of a fear.

Clearly, though, the ideal situation is to have a reliable fearward/tremor totem rotation set up.
Lookit

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I usually pop AW at the very start, cause fearward gets the first fear and you shouldn't get 2 in the first minute.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby antiy4ho0 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 am

From my experience one tremor totem, or two fear wards is ideal. I've done it with only one fear ward and eating the second fear but it was not pretty and it took a couple attempts. He hits HARD and a crush is very hard to recover from while you're running around feared.
antiy4ho0

Postby holysoldier » Tue May 13, 2008 12:04 pm

we do this fight with one priest and the best way we've found to do it is have 2 groups on either side of tank. make sure each group has a healer in it and they know get outta range of fear. this way whatever direction your feared to you'll have a healer to heal you.

not to hijack the thread but i have problems picking him up when he lands. i've thrown my shield and exorcised and it seems if i happen to hit him when he is just above the ground it doesn't get aggro. do i just need to time it better to have it hit him when he lands? this week i'm actually going to run up to him and start swinging at him and judge him i think, but usually i just stand in my spot and try and get him back with shield/exorcism.
Whatever you are, be a great one.
-Abe Lincoln
holysoldier

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 13, 2008 12:11 pm

I shoot the shield as he last flaps the wings and start touchign the ground. Exorcism as he comes to me and I spin him.

A good way to avoid running out of range when feared is to just not hug the wall. Step up a little and you'll initially run to the wall, and then to either side. I've found it reliable enough.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Rykis » Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Something similar happened to me, but it was early in phase 1. After review the scenario I did indeed get enfeebled. Even if you you lose aggro for a split second, you can get enfeebled.

Now, I make sure my DPS holds back during phase one. I don't completely stop attacking in phase 2, but I do slow down. No need to stress my healers, but parry gib doesn't seem to be a problem.

The problem, for me, is random fire totem things falling everywhere.
Rykis

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Rykis wrote:Something similar happened to me, but it was early in phase 1. After review the scenario I did indeed get enfeebled. Even if you you lose aggro for a split second, you can get enfeebled.

Now, I make sure my DPS holds back during phase one. I don't completely stop attacking in phase 2, but I do slow down. No need to stress my healers, but parry gib doesn't seem to be a problem.

The problem, for me, is random fire totem things falling everywhere.

You don't need to lose aggro to get enfeebled. You need to not be on top of threat. remember that it takes 110% to 130% of your threat to yank aggro.

A Lock at 120% of your threat woudln't pull aggro, but he wouldn't be "enfeebable", and you would.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Karazhan