2 Pallies Tank Kara

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

2 Pallies Tank Kara

Postby grentius » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 am

Hey all,

The Karazhan group I run uses two pally tanks, and I've started writing a little summary about strategies specific to this setup as we progress.

Nothing groundbreakingly new, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone's interested.

G
grentius

Postby Kyroro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:31 am

The only boss where 2 pally tanks would suck would be Morose... how does the off tank keep up threat? It's a pretty long fight as well.
Kyroro

Postby grentius » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:34 am

Kyroro wrote:The only boss where 2 pally tanks would suck would be Morose... how does the off tank keep up threat? It's a pretty long fight as well.

Didn't mean to imply that having 2 pallies is a problem anywhere, just some different strategies than having warrior or druid as other tank. And I cover Moroes in detail on the page (in short it's no problem, because OT can build threat while others kill adds.)

G
grentius

Postby Gehrond » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Kyroro wrote:The only boss where 2 pally tanks would suck would be Morose... how does the off tank keep up threat? It's a pretty long fight as well.

A paladin OT on Moroes is maybe just as beneficial as MTing him. You can taunt the adds while shackled. No healers die to dispelled CC. You can't do this when you are MT Moroes when it's a new encounter as your gear won't let you tank him + and add.
Gehrond

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:03 pm

Gehrond wrote:

A paladin OT on Moroes is maybe just as beneficial as MTing him. You can taunt the adds while shackled. No healers die to dispelled CC. You can't do this when you are MT Moroes when it's a new encounter as your gear won't let you tank him + and add.

That's not what he meant... he meant that Paladins are terrible at generating threat as an OT. So regardless of the adds and so forth, when it comes down to DPSing Moroes, your DPS will greatly outdo your Paladin OT's threat.
Sabindeus

Postby grentius » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Gehrond wrote:

That's not what he meant... he meant that Paladins are terrible at generating threat as an OT. So regardless of the adds and so forth, when it comes down to DPSing Moroes, your DPS will greatly outdo your Paladin OT's threat.

Again, while true, no problem in this particular fight because several adds get killed before Moroes giving lots of time for threat building through Exorcism/Consecrate/SoR.
grentius

Postby Paksennarion » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Done it, love it. We had two Pally tanks, a Pally healer, and a Dwarf Hunter, meaning we had at best 7 protected from Garrote. There were literally no problems with threat management the entire fight. I was OTing, and he routinely switched between me and the MT. One death to Garrote when he hit a mage and all three of the pallies had their BoP on cooldown, but it was so smooth we went ahead and tossed a Battle rez at him.
Paksennarion

Postby Gehrond » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Sabindeus wrote:That's not what he meant... he meant that Paladins are terrible at generating threat as an OT. So regardless of the adds and so forth, when it comes down to DPSing Moroes, your DPS will greatly outdo your Paladin OT's threat.

I understand, but that's simply not how that fight works unless moroes is your first kill target, and I have never heard it done that way.

I'm speaking on experience here, not theory craft.

It works very well, even our first few times in while we were learning the fight. I think the taunting made the difference when we were learning it because our healers were going down a lot.
Gehrond

Postby Kyroro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:18 pm

Given me something to think about. The only time I've OT'd is on Gruul simply because warriors are better suited for that fight. And you get big heals so that mana isn't too much of an issue.

Tonight I'll try being the OT on Morose. I'm usually MT because when I first started out, I had problems maintaining threat due to going OOM. I still think this will be the case without heals.. but we'll see. I'll probably do tanking in 5 man gear so I get more mana and take more damage. We *are* better suited to taking on the adds since we are better at multi mob threat. Our warrior OT usually has a rough time with it.
Kyroro

Postby grentius » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:27 am

Kyroro wrote:Given me something to think about. The only time I've OT'd is on Gruul simply because warriors are better suited for that fight. And you get big heals so that mana isn't too much of an issue.

Tonight I'll try being the OT on Morose. I'm usually MT because when I first started out, I had problems maintaining threat due to going OOM.

As I say in the strategy notes, just pull one or two of the adds to you instead of CC'ing them. That way they're not on healers, they're going down faster, and you're getting healed. This way you can do the whole fight without any CC (well, you can fear/stun your adds if you're taking too much damage while the MT is gouged.)
grentius

Postby Gehrond » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:26 am

Well, technically we can tank all the adds at once. >.>

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1512&sid=1
Gehrond

Postby grentius » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:27 am

Gehrond wrote:Well, technically we can tank all the adds at once. >.>

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1512&sid=1

My sentiment exactly.
grentius

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 am

Gehrond wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:That's not what he meant... he meant that Paladins are terrible at generating threat as an OT. So regardless of the adds and so forth, when it comes down to DPSing Moroes, your DPS will greatly outdo your Paladin OT's threat.

I understand, but that's simply not how that fight works unless moroes is your first kill target, and I have never heard it done that way.

It works very well, even our first few times in while we were learning the fight. I think the taunting made the difference when we were learning it because our healers were going down a lot.

In my experience, using a Paladin offtank causes all of the high threat dps (fury wars, shadow priests, etc.) to just pull aggro eventually no matter how many adds you kill beforehand. Are you maybe loading up on spell damage gear to OT him? Or do you have a lot of DPS who can just aggro dump?

Or did you do it with the adds hitting your OT?
Sabindeus

Postby grentius » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:29 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Gehrond wrote:

In my experience, using a Paladin offtank causes all of the high threat dps (fury wars, shadow priests, etc.) to just pull aggro eventually no matter how many adds you kill beforehand. Are you maybe loading up on spell damage gear to OT him? Or do you have a lot of DPS who can just aggro dump?

I do this in my normal tanking gear, but yes, as said, I pull the adds to me on the pull (right after MT pally exorcises Moroes) so that they start hitting me. The only one I've ever lost aggro on is the first to be killed, and that's usually a not-so-hard hitting clothie that goes down very quickly - by the time it's run off once and come back to me via taunt, it's dead. The remaining tend to stick like glue.
Last edited by grentius on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
grentius

Postby Gehrond » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:34 am

Sabindeus wrote:Are you maybe loading up on spell damage gear to OT him? Or do you have a lot of DPS who can just aggro dump?

Of course, I'm OTing. Hell, I'm even crushable for all 10-12 hits I take. ;)

I basically wear my 5-man set, ~350 SD. I generally wear that up to curator, swap to heal gear on maiden, and normal tanking set on opera. Curator I wear AR+SD/stam bolt soak/spark tank, then back to a normal tanking set for the harder hitting trash. <3 item rack.

OTing is not nearly as hard in kara as people say, mostly due to exorcism.
Gehrond

Next

Return to Karazhan